Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The part of texas summer where you sweat in your own house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Sounds something like a "swamp cooler" and increasing the humidity by having a fan blow over water does not work all that well in areas with high humidity.
    I've kinda wondered about that with some of the "ice houses" here --- basically a bar with a large outside wooden deck. They have "misters" - little hoses running around the perimeter of the deck roof constantly spraying a very fine mist for cooling.... And I've wondered, IN THIS HUMIDITY!?!?!

I guess it's the theory of sweat evaporation making you feel cooler.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I've kinda wondered about that with some of the "ice houses" here --- basically a bar with a large outside wooden deck. They have "misters" - little hoses running around the perimeter of the deck roof constantly spraying a very fine mist for cooling.... And I've wondered, IN THIS HUMIDITY!?!?!

I guess it's the theory of sweat evaporation making you feel cooler.
      You feel cooler when wet than dry in high humidity. Which is why we go swimming!

Humidity and mist are very different - high humidity makes it harder for the air to take in more water.

These guys explain the science (scroll down, it's there).
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

A couple decades ago a company tried selling swamp coolers here as a cheap alternative to AC. They were out of business in less than two years. Why? Because the darn things didn't work here.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          You feel cooler when wet than dry in high humidity. Which is why we go swimming!

Humidity and mist are very different - high humidity makes it harder for the air to take in more water.

These guys explain the science (scroll down, it's there).
          Without looking (yet) I'm gonna guess it's like a wet bulb thermometer thingie.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

... a wet bulb thermometer thingie.
            ?

Er, if that means convection, conduction and evaporation, sure.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

?

It's a device where a water-soaked probe has air passed through and measurements are taken on the evaporation rate. So, yes. They have those readings constantly at the installation since a lot of work is done out in the elements.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

?

You've never done wet bulb thermometer experiments in lab? It's all about relative humidity.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Sounds something like a "swamp cooler" and increasing the humidity by having a fan blow over water does not work all that well in areas with high humidity.
                  Inside my house with the AC running is not an area with high humidity.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You've never done wet bulb thermometer experiments in lab? It's all about relative humidity.
                    If we did, we called it something else - but no, I don't think so.

Of course, there is no such thing as relative humidity in Alabama - it's humid for everyone, not just the relatives!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

If we did, we called it something else - but no, I don't think so.

Of course, there is no such thing as relative humidity in Alabama - it's humid for everyone, not just the relatives!

00000000000sprkdr.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment