Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

My brief (and polemical) thought about Christianity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who was it that had that "treaty" analogy for the trinity? I thought that was a very good one.

Comment

I think the analogy of "two persons make one couple" is a Biblical analogy of the Trinity.

"So God created mankind in his own image,
      in the image of God he created them;
      male and female he created them." (Gen. 1:27)

Blessings,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
        I think the analogy of "two persons make one couple" is a Biblical analogy of the Trinity.

"So God created mankind in his own image,
        in the image of God he created them;
        male and female he created them." (Gen. 1:27)

Blessings,
        Lee
        If God created mankind in His own image, then perhaps we could look at man as a Trinity -- perhaps using our thought, word and deed?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Who was it that had that "treaty" analogy for the trinity? I thought that was a very good one.
          That would be ME!

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
          Let's suppose that there is a treaty drawn up between the US and Germany. How many treaties are executed? The answer is three: A treaty executed in English, a treaty executed in German, and a treaty executed in French (which of course is the language of the UN). Every one of the these three treaties is fully the treaty, they are not just copies of the treaty. The English Treaty is fully and actually the treaty apart from and separate from the other two. The French version is fully and actually the treaty...again apart from and separate from the others. At the same time, the German Treaty is also fully and separately the actual treaty. Yet, there is no question that the treaties are different as one is in English, one in French and one in German. So, you have one "Thing", the treaty between the US and Germany can be made up of three "Things" (the English, German and French treaty) where each of them is fully the "Thing" (the treaty) but each of the 3 things are distinct from each other.

There you have it, three things that are one thing.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
            Some think "three persons" means three people; it doesn't.
            I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it means. Saying "3 people in one being" wouldn't really be the conventional way to phrase it, but I fail to see how it differs semantically from "3 persons in one being" even a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
              I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it means. Saying "3 people in one being" wouldn't really be the conventional way to phrase it, but I fail to see how it differs semantically from "3 persons in one being" even a little bit.
              But that HAS to be right, cause that's how it is in the hymn, "Holy Holy Holy".... God in three persons, blessed Trinity!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                That would be ME!
                So LJ is hacking the prodder of bovines' account?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  So LJ is hacking the prodder of bovines' account?
                  Rats.... you saw that, did ya?

Comment

Rats.... you saw that, did ya?
                    I had my glasses on.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Just an aside, I was talking with some pastor friends about expository preaching, and one of them mentioned the notion that, if you only preach expository sermons - going through the Bible book by book, verse by verse -- you will never preach on the Trinity.
                      Well... At *some* point, you'll need to address what is meant by "Let *US* make..." in Genesis, or "The Word was with God and the Word was God," or "Before Abraham was, I AM," or any number of other passages.

No passage uses the word, "Trinity," and not all of those passages I cited may be relevant, but there are plenty of passages that do suggest multiple distinct persons all referred to as "I AM" or "God" or "Lord." You can't preach on them without saying *something* about what they mean.
                      Last edited by NorrinRadd; 08-21-2019, 06:25 PM.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                        Well... At *some* point, you'll need to address what is meant by "Let *US* make..." in Genesis, or "The Word was with God and the Word was God," or "Before Abraham was, I AM," or any number of other passages.

No passage uses the word, "Trinity," and not all of those passages I cited may be relevant, but there are plenty of passages that do suggest multiple distinct persons all referred to as "I AM" or "God" or "Lord." You can't preach on them without saying *something* about what they mean.
                        Yes, but if you're just doing expository preaching - exegesis - there is no place really that presents "the doctrine of the Trinity".... even without demanding the name Trinity, which is obviously not there. The closest I can come with all three persons of the Trinity is the Baptism of Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
                          You think my post is somehow representative of New Atheism ideas? How did you come to that conclusion?
                          So amateurish, at level of 'not worthy of rebut', like others said.

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          Don't bother taking anything demi-conservative says seriously. He's only here to troll.
                          So bitter.
                          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            It is not accurate to say three people in one being because that would mean there are three beings in one being and God is only one Being.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                              It is not accurate to say three people in one being because that would mean there are three beings in one being and God is only one Being.
                              No it wouldn't, because three people is not equal to three beings.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                                So bitter.
                                More likely, he knows very well who he is talking to. And he knows it is not worth it.

And you call yourself a Christian?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X