Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why put up with the Royals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    No sir, I believe in the age old wisdom that, "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy".
    A man and woman were on their honeymoon after a long and very happy courtship.

On their honeymoon, they decide to take their horses through the beautiful mountain passes of Texas. As the horses were crossing a small stream, the wife's horse stumbles and jostles her. Once across the stream, the wife dismounts and stares into her horses eyes and says, "That's one."

The wife remounts her horse and they continue their ride. A bit further down the path, the wife's horse stumbles when stepping over a fallen tree. She dismounts, stares the horse in the eyes, and boldly states, "That's two!"

She returns to her saddle and they move on. As the afternoon sun began to set, the wife's horse once again lost its footing on a mossy slope. She dismounts, stares the horse in the eyes and firmly says, "That's three," pulls a pistol, and shoots the horse dead.

The husband, quite upset at seeing this, says to his wife, "That's terrible, why would you do such a thing?"

The wife stares at him and firmly says, "That's one!"

Comment

• Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
      I'm not a royalist by any stretch, so I don't understand the fascination with them either, though I appreciate that there's a large portion of the tabloid press which continues to spread all sorts of gossip about them on a daily basis.

Personally, I find it morally repugnant that my Head of State occupies the post solely because of being born to supremely privileged parents. I also find it irksome that, as a taxpayer, I have to fund the supremely privileged lives of the Royal Family.

As it happens, I think a large part of this is due to the queen - she's been around for so long now she's almost ingrained in the nations psyche. When she does die and Charles then becomes king we may see some kind of change, after the inevitable outpouring of public grief. Charles isn't as well liked nation-wide and his views and (as some would see it) overstepping into politics on matters which he is interested in hasn't helped matters either. Will that cause the final collapse of the monarchy? Highly unlikely, but one can but hope.

[edited to remove some strong wording]

Agreed.

Charles might even step down in favor of his son like their royal cousins have done across the Channel, although I'd be surprised...and then the monarchy may start fading away. Won't happen with the Queen, not with the history behind her father's accession. My thoughts as a former colonist and descendant of Irish subjects.
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Hey, you two finally have something in common!

You should hear my nickname down at work.

Unfortunately I can't repeat it

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm not a royalist by any stretch, so I don't understand the fascination with them either, though I appreciate that there's a large portion of the tabloid press which continues to spread all sorts of gossip about them on a daily basis.

Personally, I find it morally repugnant that my Head of State occupies the post solely because of being born to supremely privileged parents. I also find it irksome that, as a taxpayer, I have to fund the supremely privileged lives of the Royal Family.

As it happens, I think a large part of this is due to the queen - she's been around for so long now she's almost ingrained in the nations psyche. When she does die and Charles then becomes king we may see some kind of change, after the inevitable outpouring of public grief. Charles isn't as well liked nation-wide and his views and (as some would see it) overstepping into politics on matters which he is interested in hasn't helped matters either. Will that cause the final collapse of the monarchy? Highly unlikely, but one can but hope.

[edited to remove some strong wording]
          I just read today that the Queen has informed William and Kate that they will be the next King and Queen after her -- that's she is skipping over Charles.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I just read today that the Queen has informed William and Kate that they will be the next King and Queen after her -- that's she is skipping over Charles.
            I read that but only in tabloids. If true, she'll need consent from Parliament I think.
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I've seen a few tabloids posing such 'what ifs', again likely as a result of his unpopularity with said tabloids not being fans of Charles. I've not seen anything credible from actual royal sources. I'd be surprised, as its essentially spurning her son for her grandson, and on top of which would be a break away from tradition, which is essentially the reason for their existence.

Comment

I've seen a few tabloids posing such 'what ifs', again likely as a result of his unpopularity with said tabloids not being fans of Charles. I've not seen anything credible from actual royal sources. I'd be surprised, as its essentially spurning her son for her grandson, and on top of which would be a break away from tradition, which is essentially the reason for their existence.
                According to the account I read William told Charles who appeared to be fine with it since being a "pensioner" (what we in the U.S. refers to as a senior citizen) he seems to be happy with the idea of being free to travel (or something like that). The one who is supposedly pissed is Camilla.

Comment

• Source? I'd be interested to read it, all I've seen after a quick Google is what I outlined above.

Comment