Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why put up with the Royals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why put up with the Royals?

CP made a comment in another thread about how the British Royal Family is a waste of taxpayer money and it got me to thinking, "Why does the UK and their subject countries (CA, NZ, AUS, etc) put up with the Royals?

They don't DO anything. They don't govern, they are nothing but celebrities and figureheads.

=================
    Harry and Meghan's Wedding Is a Reminder That Britain Doesn't Need the Royals

To hear pundits talking about the royals this spring, you’d be excused for thinking “The Royal Family” is a prime-time soap opera, with viewers obsessing over new characters, story lines and how it’s doing in the ratings. Bets were placed on what Prince William and Kate Middleton’s new baby would be, while commentators eagerly discussed whether the new character of Meghan Markle would manage to “save” the Royal Family by marrying Prince Harry. The answer to all this for most people around the world is simply: Who cares?

The way Britain is celebrating Harry and Meghan’s wedding is a curious reminder that the monarchy is rarely evaluated in terms of its actual purpose, which is to provide Britain with an effective head of state. Few pundits seem sure of what that role entails or even why it’s needed, because unlike in the U.S., our head of state’s role is ceremonial rather than political. And so when a royal wedding happens—Will and Kate’s reportedly cost $34 million, paid for by British taxpayers—the debate usually hinges on two questions: popularity, and cost.

...But the story of the royal family’s value to the British economy was simply dreamed up by smart PR professionals to save an institution in crisis. In reality, according to our research, British taxpayers lose about $468 million a year just to have a head of state—a lot more than the official figure released by Buckingham Palace, which was $58 million last year. In fact, our monarch is one of the most expensive nonpolitical heads of state in Europe, at least 12 times more expensive than Ireland’s elected equivalent.

https://time.com/5282035/abolish-bri...rchy-republic/

I almost posted that link as a thread, instead of just posting it as support for my premise that Harry is a huge global climate hypocrite.

I'd love to hear from some UK people about their attitude to the royals, and why they maintain their rich and famous lifestyle.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I almost posted that link as a thread, instead of just posting it as support for my premise that Harry is a huge global climate hypocrite.

I'd love to hear from some UK people about their attitude to the royals, and why they maintain their rich and famous lifestyle.
      Yeah it seems to me if anything represents rich white privilege and the 1%, it would be the Royal family.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Yeah it seems to me if anything represents rich white privilege and the 1%, it would be the Royal family.
        But they'd be like the 0.000017% or something, no?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The British monarchy is no longer about being a head of state. It has devolved into an entirely ceremonial position - which is perhaps why it is still around rather than having been violently overthrown like many other former monarchies in the region.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            The British monarchy is no longer about being a head of state. It has devolved into an entirely ceremonial position - which is perhaps why it is still around rather than having been violently overthrown like many other former monarchies in the region.
            Are any members of the royal family actually serving in government? As an MP, Ambassador, etc?

And why is Prince Henry making the rounds in Global Warming conferences and such if he has no authority to do anything? Just as a spokesperson celebrity?

Comment

I grew up watching the Royals when they were terrible for 20 years and it was all worth it when they finally won the World Series four years ago.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I grew up watching the Royals when they were terrible for 20 years and it was all worth it when they finally won the World Series four years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  CP made a comment in another thread about how the British Royal Family is a waste of taxpayer money and it got me to thinking, "Why does the UK and their subject countries (CA, NZ, AUS, etc) put up with the Royals?
                  I love the Royals, I guess at heart, because I'm a Christian, I'm a monarchist...
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    I love the Royals, I guess at heart, because I'm a Christian, I'm a monarchist...
                    Christianity doesn't really support any particular form of government.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

They tried democracy with Cromwell. They apparently were not happy with it for some reason.

Aside from that, my observations from following British politics through papers and history has showed me they are incredibly slow to change. The changes to the rules of succession to the throne took, I think, 40 years to finally go through. There are predictions that Prince George will never be King because of growing support to abolish the monarchy. That may well happen...they are slloooooowwwwww.
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

It certainly does - monarchy. King Jesus! Heaven is not a Democracy.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Yeah. Even ancient Israel was never supposed to have a human king. They were supposed to be a theocracy.
                          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            It certainly does - monarchy. King Jesus! Heaven is not a Democracy.
                            You're thinking of a theocracy.
                            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                              Yeah. Even ancient Israel was never supposed to have a human king. They were supposed to be a theocracy.
                              Right a theocracy with God as King. Monarchy is the way of Heaven...

Comment