Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why put up with the Royals?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Some people on the libertarian side have used this to argue that God prefers no government, but I don't agree. Under the Old Covenant, God intended to directly intervene in affairs on a day-to-day basis (for example, the trial of bitter water expects such an intervention). Today, we are not promised any sort of micromanagement from God. So I don't see any contradiction between the story of the Israelites wanting a king and where the New Testament says that our leaders are appointed by God. My takeaway from that is that whatever form of government God has ordained, we should not try to overthrow it and start a new one (but that doesn't mean you can't vote incumbents out of office).
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    My takeaway from that is that whatever form of government God has ordained, we should not try to overthrow it and start a new one (but that doesn't mean you can't vote incumbents out of office).
    So you would disagree with the American revolution?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    So you would disagree with the American revolution?
    Yes. Clear violation of Romans 13.
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm not sure it's that cut and dried. People risk their lives to defy government because of the government becoming dangerous to people.

During the first Bush administration (I think), there were proposed laws that would make the giving of water and food to illegals an act of treason. There was much outcry (and I agreed). One prominent Christian leader in my state declared illegals were humans and to deny them such staples was unChristian and he would go to jail rather than deny them. I hope I don't have to defy the govt in that manner ever.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    I'm not sure it's that cut and dried. People risk their lives to defy government because of the government becoming dangerous to people.

During the first Bush administration (I think), there were proposed laws that would make the giving of water and food to illegals an act of treason. There was much outcry (and I agreed). One prominent Christian leader in my state declared illegals were humans and to deny them such staples was unChristian and he would go to jail rather than deny them. I hope I don't have to defy the govt in that manner ever.
    There's one person who was arrested this year and is facing 20 years in prison for that.

I think it is okay to break laws that require you to disobey Scripture, and this law requires you to disobey the Scripture about loving neighbor. Saving lives is okay.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There's one person who was arrested this year and is facing 20 years in prison for that.

I think it is okay to break laws that require you to disobey Scripture, and this law requires you to disobey the Scripture about loving neighbor. Saving lives is okay.
    Those laws were never enacted far as I know. What law was that person prosecuted under?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Source: Daily Mail

He's one of at least five No More Deaths volunteers to be prosecuted by federal law enforcement officials since the Trump administration began arresting the southern border humanitarian activists in 2017.

The two migrant men Warren was arrested with showed up at No More Deaths' base of operations in Ajo, known as 'the Barn,' as Warren was arriving back from a grocery store, according to Tuscon.com.
    The men said they'd only consumed sports drinks and a burrito during their grueling two-day trek across the desert region. Warren cooked them a meal, gave them clothes and let them reside at the Barn for three days before US Border Patrol agents arrived and arrested all three of them.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

He's being charged under different laws.

Source: Daily Mail

US Attorney Nathaniel Walters said Warren's case 'is not about humanitarian aid,' but rather about whether or not Warren 'intended to violate the law,' by shielding Perez-Villanueva and Sacaria-Goday from border patrol agents.
    'No More Deaths is not on trial. Scott Warren is,' Walters said.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

8. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ah ok. I believe the proposed law or laws back then said that even providing food and water would be considered treason. What they were aiming at, if memory serves, were people leaving water out where the illegals were. To me that's a far cry from aiding and comforting enemies.

10. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It baffles me when people here in the U.S. are all gaga and googly-eyed over the royals. We fought a revolution to get shed of those freakin' inbred clowns!
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That is a fallacy. Using that logic, we should avoid sex because the angels in heaven are asexual, yet God said be fruitful and multiply.
    Do we know that? I know Scripture says they "neither marry nor are given in marriage." I don't recall anything about whether they have sex.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."