Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why put up with the Royals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah it seems to me if anything represents rich white privilege and the 1%, it would be the Royal family.
    Well, Meghan is black...
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Well, Meghan is black...
      I had to read that twice... I thought, "where has she been?"
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Heaven is not on Earth.
        If God's preferred mode of operation is monarchy, why shouldn't we follow His good example? Why would democracy be better than a monarchy even here on earth?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          Bhwahahahaha not with the Queen though! She's VERY private. I could see something like that afterwards, with Charles or William.
          Charles maybe, not with William don't think. He seems rather sober minded.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            If God's preferred mode of operation is monarchy, why shouldn't we follow His good example? Why would democracy be better than a monarchy even here on earth?
            That is a fallacy. Using that logic, we should avoid sex because the angels in heaven are asexual, yet God said be fruitful and multiply.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

That is a fallacy. Using that logic, we should avoid sex because the angels in heaven are asexual, yet God said be fruitful and multiply.
              What makes you think God would prefer a democracy to a monarchy? In the Old Testament He instituted a system of Judges (with God Himself as Monarch) and later a human King. And why a fallacy? Since that is how God set up His universal rule?

Comment

What makes you think God would prefer a democracy to a monarchy? In the Old Testament He instituted a system of Judges (with God Himself as Monarch) and later a human King. And why a fallacy? Since that is how God set up His universal rule?
                I don't think that's what he said or implied. That said I believe that the OT makes it clear that God isn't a supporter of any form of earthly government.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Israel's demand for a king is an excellent example of "you may get what you want, but you may not want what you get".

Scripture Verse: 1 Sam 8

4 Then all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah 5 and said to him, “Behold, you are old and your sons do not walk in your ways. Now appoint for us a king to judge us like all the nations.” 6 But the thing displeased Samuel when they said, “Give us a king to judge us.” And Samuel prayed to the Lord. 7 And the Lord said to Samuel, “Obey the voice of the people in all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected me from being king over them.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I did not make the claim that God would prefer a democracy to a monarchy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Israel's demand for a king is an excellent example of "you may get what you want, but you may not want what you get".

Scripture Verse: 1 Sam 8

4 Then all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah 5 and said to him, “Behold, you are old and your sons do not walk in your ways. Now appoint for us a king to judge us like all the nations.” 6 But the thing displeased Samuel when they said, “Give us a king to judge us.” And Samuel prayed to the Lord. 7 And the Lord said to Samuel, “Obey the voice of the people in all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected me from being king over them.

© Copyright Original Source

It actually seems that God had earlier promised Israel a King:

Why Was Israel’s Request for a King Sinful?

By demanding a king, Israel rejected Yahweh as king. But this raises a question—why was Israel’s request for a king sinful? Sometimes it is thought that the very concept of kingship in Israel was bad, but this does not fit with other texts of Scripture.

It seems certain that Yahweh would have given Israel a king at some point. He promised kingship to the patriarchs, saying that “kings” would come from them. God told Abraham:

I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make you into nations, and kings shall come from you (Genesis 17:6).

I will bless her, and moreover, I will give you a son by her. I will bless her, and she shall become nations; kings of peoples shall come from her (Genesis 17:16).

God said to Jacob:

I am God Almighty: be fruitful and multiply. A nation and a company of nations shall come from you, and kings shall come from your own body (Genesis 35:11).

Furthermore, God gave instructions for a king in Deuteronomy 17:14-20. Of course, liberal scholars say this was written after the monarchy arose in Israel. This is an assumption that they make based on unbelieving presuppositions. Moreover, if this were the case, one would expect more specific (and negative) language in Deuteronomy 17 following that of 1 Samuel 8. Let us examine these instructions regarding kings:

When you come to the land that Yahweh your God is giving you, and you possess it and dwell in it and then say, “I will set a king over me, like all the nations that are around me,” you may indeed set a king over you whom Yahweh your God will choose. One from among your brothers you shall set as king over you. You may not put a foreigner over you, who is not your brother (Deuteronomy 17:14-15).

God not only knew Israel would want a king, but He permitted it. God required that the king be an Israelite. This is followed by three important restrictions—the king must not acquire many horses, many wives, nor excessive silver and gold (Deuteronomy 17:16-17). Solomon violated all three of these prohibitions in 1 Kings 11:1-8, thus proving himself to be the paradigmatic bad king.

God also gave instructions that the king is to write out a copy of the law from the Levitical priests and read it all his days so that he may fear Yahweh and keep His commandments and thus continue long in his kingdom (Deuteronomy 17:18-20). Samuel seems to have recounted this passage when he told the people how the kingship would function (literally “the judgment of the kingship”), which he wrote in a book and laid before Yahweh (1 Samuel 10:25).

https://knowingscripture.com/article...ing-1-samuel-8

Comment

Some people on the libertarian side have used this to argue that God prefers no government, but I don't agree. Under the Old Covenant, God intended to directly intervene in affairs on a day-to-day basis (for example, the trial of bitter water expects such an intervention). Today, we are not promised any sort of micromanagement from God. So I don't see any contradiction between the story of the Israelites wanting a king and where the New Testament says that our leaders are appointed by God. My takeaway from that is that whatever form of government God has ordained, we should not try to overthrow it and start a new one (but that doesn't mean you can't vote incumbents out of office).

Comment

My takeaway from that is that whatever form of government God has ordained, we should not try to overthrow it and start a new one (but that doesn't mean you can't vote incumbents out of office).
                          So you would disagree with the American revolution?

Comment

So you would disagree with the American revolution?
                            Yes. Clear violation of Romans 13.

Comment

I'm not sure it's that cut and dried. People risk their lives to defy government because of the government becoming dangerous to people.

During the first Bush administration (I think), there were proposed laws that would make the giving of water and food to illegals an act of treason. There was much outcry (and I agreed). One prominent Christian leader in my state declared illegals were humans and to deny them such staples was unChristian and he would go to jail rather than deny them. I hope I don't have to defy the govt in that manner ever.
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                                I'm not sure it's that cut and dried. People risk their lives to defy government because of the government becoming dangerous to people.

During the first Bush administration (I think), there were proposed laws that would make the giving of water and food to illegals an act of treason. There was much outcry (and I agreed). One prominent Christian leader in my state declared illegals were humans and to deny them such staples was unChristian and he would go to jail rather than deny them. I hope I don't have to defy the govt in that manner ever.
                                There's one person who was arrested this year and is facing 20 years in prison for that.

I think it is okay to break laws that require you to disobey Scripture, and this law requires you to disobey the Scripture about loving neighbor. Saving lives is okay.

Comment