Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why put up with the Royals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    And all of them have the Queen's head on them!

Off with 'er 'ead?????
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      C'mere a minute...
      I'm not judging your culinary preferences.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        And all of them have the Queen's head on them!

And we thought Canadians were the NICE guys!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          I'm not judging your culinary preferences.
          Hold still - this will only hurt you!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            My wife is 37, and we've been married for nearly 45 years.
            So you believe in reincarnation too? Interesting.
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
              No sir, I believe in the age old wisdom that, "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy".
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No sir, I believe in the age old wisdom that, "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy".
                The happiness of man is: I will. The happiness of woman is: he wills.
                Nietzsche
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Hold still - this will only hurt you!

I have some cat recipes if you run out.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                    I have some cat recipes if you run out.
                    Drop by - we could use the extra cat food...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Canadians use pesos, no? And those funny octagonal dime things.
                      Their money is loony (or in Canuckistani: "loonie") and actually smells of maple syrup and melts in hot weather -- just like Canuckistanis!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                        You know nothing about wimmenfolk do you?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          You know nothing about wimmenfolk do you?
                          Hey, you two finally have something in common!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• I'm not a royalist by any stretch, so I don't understand the fascination with them either, though I appreciate that there's a large portion of the tabloid press which continues to spread all sorts of gossip about them on a daily basis.

Personally, I find it morally repugnant that my Head of State occupies the post solely because of being born to supremely privileged parents. I also find it irksome that, as a taxpayer, I have to fund the supremely privileged lives of the Royal Family.

As it happens, I think a large part of this is due to the queen - she's been around for so long now she's almost ingrained in the nations psyche. When she does die and Charles then becomes king we may see some kind of change, after the inevitable outpouring of public grief. Charles isn't as well liked nation-wide and his views and (as some would see it) overstepping into politics on matters which he is interested in hasn't helped matters either. Will that cause the final collapse of the monarchy? Highly unlikely, but one can but hope.

[edited to remove some strong wording]
                            Last edited by EvoUK; 08-21-2019, 05:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                              I'm not a royalist by any stretch, so I don't understand the fascination with them either, though I appreciate that there's a large portion of the tabloid press which continues to spread all sorts of gossip about them on a daily basis.

Personally, I find it morally repugnant that my Head of State occupies the post solely because of being born to supremely privileged parents. I also find it irksome that, as a taxpayer, I have to fund the supremely privileged lives of the Royal Family.

As it happens, I think a large part of this is due to the queen - she's been around for so long now she's almost ingrained in the nations psyche. When she does die and Charles then becomes king we may see some kind of change, after the inevitable outpouring of public grief. Charles isn't as well liked nation-wide and his views and (as some would see it) overstepping into politics on matters which he is interested in hasn't helped matters either. Will that cause the final collapse of the monarchy? Highly unlikely, but one can but hope.

That's pretty much how I think I would feel if I lived there.

PS. That should cause you great concern!

Comment

• Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                                I'm not a royalist by any stretch, so I don't understand the fascination with them either, though I appreciate that there's a large portion of the tabloid press which continues to spread all sorts of gossip about them on a daily basis.

Heretic!

Comment