Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: On The Hunting of the Job

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Seriously, sometimes I'm sitting there with 2 or 3 "finalists" on my desk, pretty much equal in qualification and presentation, and I'm looking for "that one thing" that pushes me to one over the other(s).

ATTITIDE is a huge part of that -- if I get somebody who seems to think that asking me for the job is not important, I'm inclined to think they're not going to be very proactive in the performance of the job. If I have 3 resumes, and one of them has a thank you card on it, or a note from my secretary that this person called asking about the job, that might be the deciding factor.
    I think my references gave me the 'extra' edge. They apparently called one of mine after I left, the son of one of my former bosses. He and I have been friends ever since I worked for his dad 30 years ago. I still do some side work for him (the son) - he apparently talked me up pretty good and they called me up on my way home from the interview and offered me the job.

2. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I think my references gave me the 'extra' edge. They apparently called one of mine after I left, the son of one of my former bosses. He and I have been friends ever since I worked for his dad 30 years ago. I still do some side work for him (the son) - he apparently talked me up pretty good and they called me up on my way home from the interview and offered me the job.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And even those actually SEEKING a job -- only 1 in 10 actually ASKS for the job!
    What do you mean by "asks" for the job?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Maybe your friend should get a job playing video games?

Kyle Giersdorf, who is best known as "Bugha" in the gaming world, took home $3 million for winning the Fortnite World Cup. The 16-year-old beat out the 40 million players who entered the online competition, which was whittled down to 100 participants who went at it Sunday at Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...up/1853058001/

The 6th place winner (14 years old) won nearly $1 million.
    Problem is, much like normal sports like Football, playing the game is easy... playing the game well enough to make all of that money is extremely difficult.

Though video games do have the benefit that they're easier to get into. Actually getting into the NFL is a very complicated affair even if you're the the best there ever was, but if you're good enough at a game to make it to the top, the process is much simpler. For example, winning the Fortnite World Cup only requires that you play Fortnite keep winning it--which, okay, is a lot harder than it might sound, but I mean you don't have to worry about getting picked for anything.
    Last edited by Terraceth; 09-27-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraceth View Post
    What do you mean by "asks" for the job?
    I mean, at the close of the interview, express some positive interest in actually obtaining the job. Some way to show the employer you're actually interested.

The interview has two purposes -- to see if the employer thinks you are a fit, and to give you an opportunity to see if this is a job you really want.

Depending on how the interview goes - some are a bit formal, others quite informal - the hiring manager needs to know that you are definitely interested, if, indeed, you are.

It could be as direct as "so, when do I start?" or "may I ask how the decision process works from here?" or "this job sounds like its right up my ally, and I'm just want you to know I'm very interested".
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

6. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.