Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

On The Hunting of the Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Actually, this is a problem for some women - myself included. I had to be told to 'ask' - to me that seems pushy, especially since I'm interviewing for the job. I mean, it really was hard to do - I don't like being rude and that seems REALLY rude.
    It's an art, and it doesn't have to be pushy. It can be with a smile, and a "So, when can I start?" Just something to show them that you are actually interested in the job - not just going through motions.

As a hiring manager, when somebody says something like that, it lets me know they've got some initiative!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Like I said, I did learn - but it would never have occurred to me to ask at all if I hadn't been told to do so. It seems redundant and mildly insulting (hey, dummy, you know I want this, right?) which is why it never occurred to me.
      When I'm hiring, I want somebody with at least some drive, some motivation, some direction, some sense of urgency.... I don't want somebody who's going to sit around on the couch waiting for the phone to ring.

And, by the way, we've discussed this before somewhere, but have a thank you card in your pocket or purse, and after your interview ON YOUR WAY HOME, fill out the card with a "thank you so much for your time this morning - I'd love to hear from you soon" - with your contact info. And mail it BEFORE YOU get home. In most cases, it will be on their desk the next day, and while they're looking at OTHER resumes, it might prompt them to look at yours again. Many hiring managers will attach that card to your application/resume.

It really helps to do something that helps you stand out from the pile of resumes.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        When I'm hiring, I want somebody with at least some drive, some motivation, some direction, some sense of urgency.... I don't want somebody who's going to sit around on the couch waiting for the phone to ring.

And, by the way, we've discussed this before somewhere, but have a thank you card in your pocket or purse, and after your interview ON YOUR WAY HOME, fill out the card with a "thank you so much for your time this morning - I'd love to hear from you soon" - with your contact info. And mail it BEFORE YOU get home. In most cases, it will be on their desk the next day, and while they're looking at OTHER resumes, it might prompt them to look at yours again. Many hiring managers will attach that card to your application/resume.

It really helps to do something that helps you stand out from the pile of resumes.
        She could make him a thank you cake!

ScreenHunter_.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          She could make him a thank you cake!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39179[/ATTACH]
          That would make you stand out -- especially if the hiring manager is diabetic!

Comment

Seriously, sometimes I'm sitting there with 2 or 3 "finalists" on my desk, pretty much equal in qualification and presentation, and I'm looking for "that one thing" that pushes me to one over the other(s).

ATTITIDE is a huge part of that -- if I get somebody who seems to think that asking me for the job is not important, I'm inclined to think they're not going to be very proactive in the performance of the job. If I have 3 resumes, and one of them has a thank you card on it, or a note from my secretary that this person called asking about the job, that might be the deciding factor.

Comment

Seriously, sometimes I'm sitting there with 2 or 3 "finalists" on my desk, pretty much equal in qualification and presentation, and I'm looking for "that one thing" that pushes me to one over the other(s).

ATTITIDE is a huge part of that -- if I get somebody who seems to think that asking me for the job is not important, I'm inclined to think they're not going to be very proactive in the performance of the job. If I have 3 resumes, and one of them has a thank you card on it, or a note from my secretary that this person called asking about the job, that might be the deciding factor.
              I think my references gave me the 'extra' edge. They apparently called one of mine after I left, the son of one of my former bosses. He and I have been friends ever since I worked for his dad 30 years ago. I still do some side work for him (the son) - he apparently talked me up pretty good and they called me up on my way home from the interview and offered me the job.

Comment

I think my references gave me the 'extra' edge. They apparently called one of mine after I left, the son of one of my former bosses. He and I have been friends ever since I worked for his dad 30 years ago. I still do some side work for him (the son) - he apparently talked me up pretty good and they called me up on my way home from the interview and offered me the job.

Comment

And even those actually SEEKING a job -- only 1 in 10 actually ASKS for the job!
                  What do you mean by "asks" for the job?

Maybe your friend should get a job playing video games?

Kyle Giersdorf, who is best known as "Bugha" in the gaming world, took home $3 million for winning the Fortnite World Cup. The 16-year-old beat out the 40 million players who entered the online competition, which was whittled down to 100 participants who went at it Sunday at Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York.
                  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...up/1853058001/

The 6th place winner (14 years old) won nearly $1 million.
                  Problem is, much like normal sports like Football, playing the game is easy... playing the game well enough to make all of that money is extremely difficult.

Though video games do have the benefit that they're easier to get into. Actually getting into the NFL is a very complicated affair even if you're the the best there ever was, but if you're good enough at a game to make it to the top, the process is much simpler. For example, winning the Fortnite World Cup only requires that you play Fortnite keep winning it--which, okay, is a lot harder than it might sound, but I mean you don't have to worry about getting picked for anything.
                  Last edited by Terraceth; 09-28-2019, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                    What do you mean by "asks" for the job?
                    I mean, at the close of the interview, express some positive interest in actually obtaining the job. Some way to show the employer you're actually interested.

The interview has two purposes -- to see if the employer thinks you are a fit, and to give you an opportunity to see if this is a job you really want.

Depending on how the interview goes - some are a bit formal, others quite informal - the hiring manager needs to know that you are definitely interested, if, indeed, you are.

It could be as direct as "so, when do I start?" or "may I ask how the decision process works from here?" or "this job sounds like its right up my ally, and I'm just want you to know I'm very interested".

Comment