Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

On The Hunting of the Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On The Hunting of the Job

Okay, I would prefer Christians respond but any respectful answers are welcome.

I have a friend who is hideously underemployed. I think she needs to find a better job but I don't think she knows how. I have more 'book learning' than experience but I think that may be better than she has as she's always been under employed, just usually not this bad.

I can't decide how to approach her. There are some books that might help but I don't want to just dump them on her.

Ideas?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

First diagnostic question. Do you know that she WANTS a better job? Sometimes people are happy (or at least satisfied) where they are because they don't like the stress or responsibility of a higher paying / demanding job.

I have a lady in my Church who has a Master's degree, but she works as a clerk at Walmart - she seems totally happy there. I don't understand it, but it works for her.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Is there a church in the area that does job fair type stuff, training, resources like...

http://www.nwbc.org/bjm-jobpostinginstructions

I've done a lot of work with this church, and they actually have hiring managers attend sessions and hire people on the spot!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah....the overqualified person might have health reasons....or someone she has to provide for that she had to step out of a career for. Etc.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          First diagnostic question. Do you know that she WANTS a better job? Sometimes people are happy (or at least satisfied) where they are because they don't like the stress or responsibility of a higher paying / demanding job.

I have a lady in my Church who has a Master's degree, but she works as a clerk at Walmart - she seems totally happy there. I don't understand it, but it works for her.
          I believe so. She seems to love the type of work but I think she would like a better job.

I should explore that with her first. Thanks!

I have a Master's and was a cashier at Wal-mart.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I have a friend like that. She used to manage an office at a tech firm, but got laid off. Now she works as a billing clerk at some podunk local jobs newspaper/website. It posts want ads from other companies.

She doesn't like the job and it doesn't pay well and she is mistreated by her boss. I keep trying to tell her to go get a better job. Heck she works at a job classifieds company! But she won't. I even offered to write up her resume.

I guess she is "comfortable" there, despite complaining.

I have given up trying to help her. If she wants a better job, she will eventually go look for one.

Comment

You can point a horse to water but you can't always make them apply for a job.

Comment

You can point a horse to water but you can't always make them apply for a job.
                Back in the 80s I had a job where one of my duties was interviewing job applicants. It was surprising how many of those who came in weren't wanting a job but either their probation or unemployment insurance required them to be "actively seeking" employment. All they wanted was me to sign something saying that they came in looking for work.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Back in the 80s I had a job where one of my duties was interviewing job applicants. It was surprising how many of those who came in weren't wanting a job but either their probation or unemployment insurance required them to be "actively seeking" employment. All they wanted was me to sign something saying that they came in looking for work.
                  And even those actually SEEKING a job -- only 1 in 10 actually ASKS for the job!

But, yeah, I remember when there was that "you need to have 5 interviews a week" or some such, and people would fill out the application and want an appointment just so they could write it down in their log, and then keep their lazy butts at home.

Comment

Maybe your friend should get a job playing video games?

Kyle Giersdorf, who is best known as "Bugha" in the gaming world, took home $3 million for winning the Fortnite World Cup. The 16-year-old beat out the 40 million players who entered the online competition, which was whittled down to 100 participants who went at it Sunday at Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York.
                    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...up/1853058001/

The 6th place winner (14 years old) won nearly $1 million.

Comment

I don't know how appropriate or relevant asking for the job is nowadays when even part time jobs require 3 rounds of interviews and you have no idea going in just what stage you're at.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

And even those actually SEEKING a job -- only 1 in 10 actually ASKS for the job!

But, yeah, I remember when there was that "you need to have 5 interviews a week" or some such, and people would fill out the application and want an appointment just so they could write it down in their log, and then keep their lazy butts at home.
                        Actually, this is a problem for some women - myself included. I had to be told to 'ask' - to me that seems pushy, especially since I'm interviewing for the job. I mean, it really was hard to do - I don't like being rude and that seems REALLY rude.

Younger women may not have the same reaction but my generation - especially in the South - you don't DO 'rude'.

To the other point - five interviews a week is more than I've ever gotten even at my most aggressive (I once flooded a hospital with applications - they gave me an interview and I got the job! ). Putting in dozens of applications I'd be lucky to get one call back. I only once got two callbacks for the same job - that was for the state when they were hiring DIS. I lost track of the number of state applications i'd put in over the three years prior to that that I'd been job hunting - I only got three callbacks from ALL the applications I put in - and only two interviews (the second DIS call was after I'd already accepted the first position.) Now, I was (under) employed at that time but still, it was pulling hen's teeth to get interviews.

From the other side, I dunno - if I had unemployment and was seriously trying for a good job I might apply just for interviews to keep the benefits until I had a good career job - or rather might have back when I was young enough to pound pavement. My own inclination would be to take whatever paid more than my benefits and keep hunting.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Actually, this is a problem for some women - myself included. I had to be told to 'ask' - to me that seems pushy, especially since I'm interviewing for the job. I mean, it really was hard to do - I don't like being rude and that seems REALLY rude.

Younger women may not have the same reaction but my generation - especially in the South - you don't DO 'rude'.

To the other point - five interviews a week is more than I've ever gotten even at my most aggressive (I once flooded a hospital with applications - they gave me an interview and I got the job! ). Putting in dozens of applications I'd be lucky to get one call back. I only once got two callbacks for the same job - that was for the state when they were hiring DIS. I lost track of the number of state applications i'd put in over the three years prior to that that I'd been job hunting - I only got three callbacks from ALL the applications I put in - and only two interviews (the second DIS call was after I'd already accepted the first position.) Now, I was (under) employed at that time but still, it was pulling hen's teeth to get interviews.

From the other side, I dunno - if I had unemployment and was seriously trying for a good job I might apply just for interviews to keep the benefits until I had a good career job - or rather might have back when I was young enough to pound pavement. My own inclination would be to take whatever paid more than my benefits and keep hunting.

You don't have to be pushy. Just say, "I would really like this job. When can I expect to hear from you?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            You don't have to be pushy. Just say, "I would really like this job. When can I expect to hear from you?"
                            Like I said, I did learn - but it would never have occurred to me to ask at all if I hadn't been told to do so. It seems redundant and mildly insulting (hey, dummy, you know I want this, right?) which is why it never occurred to me.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              Like I said, I did learn - but it would never have occurred to me to ask at all if I hadn't been told to do so. It seems redundant and mildly insulting (hey, dummy, you know I want this, right?) which is why it never occurred to me.
                              The interview goes both ways, you are there to give the employer an idea of what you can offer him, and to see what they can offer you. Both of you are "selling" - and it could be that you as the interviewee decide that you don't want the job after seeing what it is about. You can tell them that too, so they don't waste more time on you. I always thanked them and then let them know if I was still interested or not. And I have had employers tell me right then and there that I was not what they were looking for. It saves everyone a lot of wasted time to be up front and honest about it all. At my present job, at the end of the interview I told my current boss, "This job seems like a perfect fit for me and I think I can contribute a lot to the company, I hope to hear from you soon" and I got a call on my way home offering me the job!

Comment