Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On The Hunting of the Job

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

On The Hunting of the Job

Okay, I would prefer Christians respond but any respectful answers are welcome.

I have a friend who is hideously underemployed. I think she needs to find a better job but I don't think she knows how. I have more 'book learning' than experience but I think that may be better than she has as she's always been under employed, just usually not this bad.

I can't decide how to approach her. There are some books that might help but I don't want to just dump them on her.

Ideas?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    First diagnostic question. Do you know that she WANTS a better job? Sometimes people are happy (or at least satisfied) where they are because they don't like the stress or responsibility of a higher paying / demanding job.

I have a lady in my Church who has a Master's degree, but she works as a clerk at Walmart - she seems totally happy there. I don't understand it, but it works for her.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

3. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Is there a church in the area that does job fair type stuff, training, resources like...

http://www.nwbc.org/bjm-jobpostinginstructions

I've done a lot of work with this church, and they actually have hiring managers attend sessions and hire people on the spot!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah....the overqualified person might have health reasons....or someone she has to provide for that she had to step out of a career for. Etc.

6. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    First diagnostic question. Do you know that she WANTS a better job? Sometimes people are happy (or at least satisfied) where they are because they don't like the stress or responsibility of a higher paying / demanding job.

I have a lady in my Church who has a Master's degree, but she works as a clerk at Walmart - she seems totally happy there. I don't understand it, but it works for her.
    I believe so. She seems to love the type of work but I think she would like a better job.

I should explore that with her first. Thanks!

I have a Master's and was a cashier at Wal-mart.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have a friend like that. She used to manage an office at a tech firm, but got laid off. Now she works as a billing clerk at some podunk local jobs newspaper/website. It posts want ads from other companies.

She doesn't like the job and it doesn't pay well and she is mistreated by her boss. I keep trying to tell her to go get a better job. Heck she works at a job classifieds company! But she won't. I even offered to write up her resume.

I guess she is "comfortable" there, despite complaining.

I have given up trying to help her. If she wants a better job, she will eventually go look for one.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You can point a horse to water but you can't always make them apply for a job.

10. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You can point a horse to water but you can't always make them apply for a job.
    Back in the 80s I had a job where one of my duties was interviewing job applicants. It was surprising how many of those who came in weren't wanting a job but either their probation or unemployment insurance required them to be "actively seeking" employment. All they wanted was me to sign something saying that they came in looking for work.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Back in the 80s I had a job where one of my duties was interviewing job applicants. It was surprising how many of those who came in weren't wanting a job but either their probation or unemployment insurance required them to be "actively seeking" employment. All they wanted was me to sign something saying that they came in looking for work.
    And even those actually SEEKING a job -- only 1 in 10 actually ASKS for the job!

But, yeah, I remember when there was that "you need to have 5 interviews a week" or some such, and people would fill out the application and want an appointment just so they could write it down in their log, and then keep their lazy butts at home.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Maybe your friend should get a job playing video games?

Kyle Giersdorf, who is best known as "Bugha" in the gaming world, took home $3 million for winning the Fortnite World Cup. The 16-year-old beat out the 40 million players who entered the online competition, which was whittled down to 100 participants who went at it Sunday at Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...up/1853058001/

The 6th place winner (14 years old) won nearly $1 million.