Thread: Hate Microsoft

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    We are back!

We are very, very brown...

I hope that doesn't mean your wonky system somehow generated infrasound at a particular disruptive frequency and amplitude!
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    I hope that doesn't mean your wonky system somehow generated infrasound at a particular disruptive frequency and amplitude!
    Nah, it just changed the bar color - it was a light brown. Now it's a very dark brown.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post

THEN it shut down and spent more than an hour updating... ...
    I hate it when I have to reboot this old lappie. It usually takes several tries, often resorting to "Use last known good configuration" from the F8 (or is it F9?) screen, and it's usually well over an hour before it's done tripping over itself and sticking its CPU up its bus and is ready to use.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    I hate it when I have to reboot this old lappie. It usually takes several tries, often resorting to "Use last known good configuration" from the F8 (or is it F9?) screen, and it's usually well over an hour before it's done tripping over itself and sticking its CPU up its bus and is ready to use.
    If Microsoft had invented the car, when you had car trouble, the recommended solution would be "take out the engine and put it back in".
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Slave for Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The beef I have against Microsoft is the fact that with every new version of Windows they put out since Vista, they changed the underlying functionality in such a way that I had to fix the program code for my own game engine. I started making it during the days of Windows 98, and thankfully the transition to XP didn't require me to make any changes.

But with Vista, they deprecated some of the helper DirectX functions (specifically, to convert color values) so I had to write my own code to do that.

With 7, it didn't like the fact that I was drawing directly to the DirectDraw primary buffer so I had to instead constantly write to the secondary buffer and then flip the buffers.

With 8, DirectDraw hardware acceleration was done away with resulting in the game running at the speed of a turtle -- so I had to come up with an alternate Direct3D port. (That was the hardest change to make. )

With the initial build of 10, the game would show a blank screen -- but the fix for that was as simple as hiding the form while the game is in full screen.

Thankfully, with every build of Windows 10 it's worked fine so I haven't had to make any more fixes. I hope I won't have to. I'll have more beefs with them if they ever do away with the Visual Basic 6 runtime or the legacy DirectX (7 and 8, specifically) functionality.
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight_spam!