Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Hate Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The beef I have against Microsoft is the fact that with every new version of Windows they put out since Vista, they changed the underlying functionality in such a way that I had to fix the program code for my own game engine. I started making it during the days of Windows 98, and thankfully the transition to XP didn't require me to make any changes.

But with Vista, they deprecated some of the helper DirectX functions (specifically, to convert color values) so I had to write my own code to do that.

With 7, it didn't like the fact that I was drawing directly to the DirectDraw primary buffer so I had to instead constantly write to the secondary buffer and then flip the buffers.

With 8, DirectDraw hardware acceleration was done away with resulting in the game running at the speed of a turtle -- so I had to come up with an alternate Direct3D port. (That was the hardest change to make. )

With the initial build of 10, the game would show a blank screen -- but the fix for that was as simple as hiding the form while the game is in full screen.

Thankfully, with every build of Windows 10 it's worked fine so I haven't had to make any more fixes. I hope I won't have to. I'll have more beefs with them if they ever do away with the Visual Basic 6 runtime or the legacy DirectX (7 and 8, specifically) functionality.
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment