Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: Behind the Curve - Flat Earthers

  1. #41
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    52,302
    Amen (Given)
    1112
    Amen (Received)
    19037
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Georgia.
    Florida.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  2. #42
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,940
    Amen (Given)
    4999
    Amen (Received)
    22170
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Florida.
    Florida is really flat. It explains a lot.

  3. #43
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,013
    Amen (Given)
    8963
    Amen (Received)
    5551
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Florida.
    Dang - I said Florida initially but then decided it was a peach and not an orange.

    Of course, it used to make a difference. Now, not so much...

  4. #44
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Triangle
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,591
    Amen (Given)
    1748
    Amen (Received)
    4634
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Or that at least a few were pulling his leg
    No, some of them went very indepth into known advanced talking points (inability to pass the Kuyper belt, etc.). Everybody expanded on their answers.

    Interestingly enough, the main office conspiracy theorist did not think it was a hoax. His military background probably won out in this case.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 08-30-2019 at 05:38 AM.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

  5. #45
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Triangle
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,591
    Amen (Given)
    1748
    Amen (Received)
    4634
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Florida is really flat. It explains a lot.
    Kansas is scientifically* proven to be flatter than a pancake.

    https://www.usu.edu/geo/geomorph/kansas.html

    *sort of?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

  6. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  7. #46
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    55,346
    Amen (Given)
    12056
    Amen (Received)
    25734
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Kansas is scientifically* proven to be flatter than a pancake.

    https://www.usu.edu/geo/geomorph/kansas.html

    *sort of?
    But I remember driving from Colorado Springs through Kansas on a cold frosty morning, and driving through one of those little depressions where a large feed lot was filling the air with the aroma of money! In fact, it was a little too monetary even for my refined palate.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  8. #47
    tWebber Sherman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Minnesota
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    23
    Amen (Given)
    16
    Amen (Received)
    11
    Florida was very flat when I went to boot camp in Orlando in 1986. But not convinced the Earth is flat. I did a lot of flying (No I am not a pilot--to satisfy the curious) in the Navy and saw the phenomena of things popping up over the horizon. That only happens when you are flying around a ball.

    Flat Earthism didn't gain traction until after 2013 when Youtube really took off. Youtubes are what gave this concept a boost. I can't call it the theory because it has no scientific support. The physical evidence just isn't there.

    When someone is convinced of Flat Earthism, it is very difficult to convince them otherwise even in the face of the mountain of evidence against it. I have a few friends on other sites are are just convinced the earth is flat and in an enclosed dome. There is just no convincing them otherwise. One of those friends produces Youtubes and has a website dedicated to FE. He believes that NASA has made some big conspiracy to create the beautiful images we have of our world hanging in space on nothing.

  9. #48
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,940
    Amen (Given)
    4999
    Amen (Received)
    22170
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    Florida was very flat when I went to boot camp in Orlando in 1986. But not convinced the Earth is flat. I did a lot of flying (No I am not a pilot--to satisfy the curious) in the Navy and saw the phenomena of things popping up over the horizon. That only happens when you are flying around a ball.

    Flat Earthism didn't gain traction until after 2013 when Youtube really took off. Youtubes are what gave this concept a boost. I can't call it the theory because it has no scientific support. The physical evidence just isn't there.

    When someone is convinced of Flat Earthism, it is very difficult to convince them otherwise even in the face of the mountain of evidence against it. I have a few friends on other sites are are just convinced the earth is flat and in an enclosed dome. There is just no convincing them otherwise. One of those friends produces Youtubes and has a website dedicated to FE. He believes that NASA has made some big conspiracy to create the beautiful images we have of our world hanging in space on nothing.
    Yeah there is just no reason for most of the world to know the earth is flat and try to fool everyone else into thinking it is round. The conspiracy would have to include all scientists and engineers who work in aerospace, like Nasa or even just working with satellites. It would have to include the entire airline industry and pilot since they would have to fly different paths for a flat earth.

    the people who believe in a flat earth are the same ones who believe other conspiracy theories. They seem to get a rush out of thinking they are privy to information of some huge conspiracy.

  10. Amen Sherman amen'd this post.
  11. #49
    tWebber Sherman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Minnesota
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    23
    Amen (Given)
    16
    Amen (Received)
    11
    ​They get very ugly when you challenge them too. I am on a site where the owners banned a guy for sharing videos shot by NASA. They banned him as a 'scammer'. Then they appointed as an admin a guy that thinks he's one of the two witnesses from the book of Revelation! It gives me more reason not trust this theory.

  12. #50
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,940
    Amen (Given)
    4999
    Amen (Received)
    22170
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    ​They get very ugly when you challenge them too. I am on a site where the owners banned a guy for sharing videos shot by NASA. They banned him as a 'scammer'. Then they appointed as an admin a guy that thinks he's one of the two witnesses from the book of Revelation! It gives me more reason not trust this theory.
    Did you watch that movie I mention in the first post of this thread (Behind the curve). It is very interesting.

    From time to time we get various nutters joining here on theologyweb. I don't think we had anyone claiming to be one of the two witnesses before, but we have gotten some doozies. We had one guy who insisted that YHWH was a fire breathing dragon.

    One of our current special ones is Darfius who believes that Satan is controlling our computers and somehow rewriting our history using something called the Mandela effect, which is basically people misremembering the past, but he claims is Satan creating the Great Delusion somehow. See: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...gun&highlight=
    Last edited by Sparko; 09-16-2019 at 06:07 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •