Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Behind the Curve - Flat Earthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Kansas is scientifically* proven to be flatter than a pancake.

https://www.usu.edu/geo/geomorph/kansas.html

*sort of?
    But I remember driving from Colorado Springs through Kansas on a cold frosty morning, and driving through one of those little depressions where a large feed lot was filling the air with the aroma of money! In fact, it was a little too monetary even for my refined palate.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Florida was very flat when I went to boot camp in Orlando in 1986. But not convinced the Earth is flat. I did a lot of flying (No I am not a pilot--to satisfy the curious) in the Navy and saw the phenomena of things popping up over the horizon. That only happens when you are flying around a ball.

Flat Earthism didn't gain traction until after 2013 when Youtube really took off. Youtubes are what gave this concept a boost. I can't call it the theory because it has no scientific support. The physical evidence just isn't there.

When someone is convinced of Flat Earthism, it is very difficult to convince them otherwise even in the face of the mountain of evidence against it. I have a few friends on other sites are are just convinced the earth is flat and in an enclosed dome. There is just no convincing them otherwise. One of those friends produces Youtubes and has a website dedicated to FE. He believes that NASA has made some big conspiracy to create the beautiful images we have of our world hanging in space on nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman View Post
        Florida was very flat when I went to boot camp in Orlando in 1986. But not convinced the Earth is flat. I did a lot of flying (No I am not a pilot--to satisfy the curious) in the Navy and saw the phenomena of things popping up over the horizon. That only happens when you are flying around a ball.

Flat Earthism didn't gain traction until after 2013 when Youtube really took off. Youtubes are what gave this concept a boost. I can't call it the theory because it has no scientific support. The physical evidence just isn't there.

When someone is convinced of Flat Earthism, it is very difficult to convince them otherwise even in the face of the mountain of evidence against it. I have a few friends on other sites are are just convinced the earth is flat and in an enclosed dome. There is just no convincing them otherwise. One of those friends produces Youtubes and has a website dedicated to FE. He believes that NASA has made some big conspiracy to create the beautiful images we have of our world hanging in space on nothing.
        Yeah there is just no reason for most of the world to know the earth is flat and try to fool everyone else into thinking it is round. The conspiracy would have to include all scientists and engineers who work in aerospace, like Nasa or even just working with satellites. It would have to include the entire airline industry and pilot since they would have to fly different paths for a flat earth.

the people who believe in a flat earth are the same ones who believe other conspiracy theories. They seem to get a rush out of thinking they are privy to information of some huge conspiracy.

Comment

​They get very ugly when you challenge them too. I am on a site where the owners banned a guy for sharing videos shot by NASA. They banned him as a 'scammer'. Then they appointed as an admin a guy that thinks he's one of the two witnesses from the book of Revelation! It gives me more reason not trust this theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman View Post
            ​They get very ugly when you challenge them too. I am on a site where the owners banned a guy for sharing videos shot by NASA. They banned him as a 'scammer'. Then they appointed as an admin a guy that thinks he's one of the two witnesses from the book of Revelation! It gives me more reason not trust this theory.
            Did you watch that movie I mention in the first post of this thread (Behind the curve). It is very interesting.

From time to time we get various nutters joining here on theologyweb. I don't think we had anyone claiming to be one of the two witnesses before, but we have gotten some doozies. We had one guy who insisted that YHWH was a fire breathing dragon.

One of our current special ones is Darfius who believes that Satan is controlling our computers and somehow rewriting our history using something called the Mandela effect, which is basically people misremembering the past, but he claims is Satan creating the Great Delusion somehow. See: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...gun&highlight=
            Last edited by Sparko; 09-16-2019, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Don't have a Netflix subscription. But I am well aware of the growing number of FE nutters.

I took a look at that thread OP about the Mandela Effect -- OOkay! That is nuts.

Comment

BTW -- The Padded Room is where that thread on the Mandela Effect belongs.

Comment