Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Behind the Curve - Flat Earthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
    I only know one. Also, one of my bosses thinks the moon landing was a hoax, if that counts.
    I'm guessing the moon landing hoax is a widespread belief. At my last job, I did an informal poll of some of my co-workers and found a majority believed it was a hoax.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      I'm guessing the moon landing hoax is a widespread belief. At my last job, I did an informal poll of some of my co-workers and found a majority believed it was a hoax.
      I'm beginning to think you're a magnet for weird people, brother.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        They believe it works more like a spotlight.

But how do they explain the fact that if the Earth was flat you should still be able to see the Sun when it is on the other side of the world? How does the sun set on a flat earth?
        Wow - they have some really cool graphics!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I'm beginning to think you're a magnet for weird people, brother.
          Or that at least a few were pulling his leg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I still think the graphics are cool - but the moon would never appear full like that. Nor would there be lunar phases.

But that would be sooooo cool as a D&D world!
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              I still think the graphics are cool - but the moon would never appear full like that. Nor would there be lunar phases.

But that would be sooooo cool as a D&D world!
              I think that in "real" life the moon would orbit slower than the sun, thereby allowing the various phases and eclipses to happen.

Not sure how they explain lunar eclipses though. or new moons.

Comment

I think that in "real" life the moon would orbit slower than the sun, thereby allowing the various phases and eclipses to happen.

Not sure how they explain lunar eclipses though. or new moons.

Lunar Eclipse

A Lunar Eclipse occurs about twice a year when a satellite of the sun passes between the sun and moon.

This satellite is called the Shadow Object or Antimoon. Its orbital plane is tilted at an angle to the sun's orbital plane, making eclipses possible only when the three bodies (Sun, Object, and Moon) are aligned. Within a given year a maximum of three lunar eclipses can occur. Despite the fact that there are more solar than lunar eclipses each year, over time many more lunar eclipses are seen at any single location on earth than solar eclipses. This occurs because a lunar eclipse can be seen from the entire half of the earth beneath the moon at that time, while a solar eclipse is visible only along a narrow path on the earth's surface.

Total lunar eclipses come in clusters. There can be two or three during a period of a year or a year and a half, followed by a lull of two or three years before another round begins. When you add partial eclipses there can be three in a calendar year and again, it's quite possible to have none at all.

The shadow object is never seen in the sky because it orbits the sun on the day side of the earth, in the large vicinity where celestial bodies are invisible. As the sun's powerful vertical rays hit the atmosphere during the day they will scatter and blot out nearly every single star and celestial body in the daytime sky. We are never given a glimpse of the celestial bodies which appear near the sun during the day - they are completely washed out by the sun's light. In fact, when the daytime Moon gets too close to the sun's vicinity it will completely disappear from sight. Except for during the time of Solar Eclipse, the Moon is only seen during the day at a far opposite side of the sky from the sun.

Dr. Samuel Birley Rowbotham has provided equations for finding the time, magnitude, and duration of a Lunar Eclipse at the end of Chapter 11 of Earth Not a Globe.

There is also a possibility that the Shadow Object is a known celestial body which orbits the sun, and which projects its shadow upon the moon; but more study would be needed to track the positions of Mercury, Venus and the sun's asteroid satellites and correlate them with the equations for the lunar eclipse before any conclusion could be drawn.

https://wiki.tfes.org/The_Lunar_Eclipse

Comment

00000000000000ab000-00aaFD.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

00000000000000ab000-00aaFD2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]39432[/ATTACH]
                      Georgia.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Georgia.
                        Florida.

Comment

Florida.
                          Florida is really flat. It explains a lot.

Comment

Florida.
                            Dang - I said Florida initially but then decided it was a peach and not an orange.

Of course, it used to make a difference. Now, not so much...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Or that at least a few were pulling his leg
                              No, some of them went very indepth into known advanced talking points (inability to pass the Kuyper belt, etc.). Everybody expanded on their answers.

Interestingly enough, the main office conspiracy theorist did not think it was a hoax. His military background probably won out in this case.
                              Last edited by KingsGambit; 08-30-2019, 07:38 AM.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Florida is really flat. It explains a lot.
                                Kansas is scientifically* proven to be flatter than a pancake.

https://www.usu.edu/geo/geomorph/kansas.html

*sort of?

Comment