Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The irony of the New York Times’ 1619 Project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    One would think, after closely and actively reading my posts, that I spent a lot of time specifically outlining how I was not arguing and did not need to argue that online real estate listers were engaged in racial discrimination.

Maybe folks need to spend more time considering what they and others are arguing and less time projecting their biases as labels on others.

--Sam
    Arguing with Sam:

Me: “Water is obviously wet.”

Sam: “It’s possible that water is not wet.”

Me: “Do you have any evidence that water is not wet?”

Sam: “You need to actively read my post because I never said water is not wet.”

Me: “So why are you arguing that it’s possible that water isn’t wet? Just stick your hand in a glass of water a few times and see if it ever comes back not wet.”

Sam: “That’s not science, do you have and studies that show that water is wet?”

Me: “Why do you need studies for such an easy experiment? Simply have you and some friends stick your hands in water and see if they come back as anything, but wet.”

Me: “So why do you keep arguing for the possibility that water isn’t wet when there’s no evidence to support the possibility that water isn’t wet?”

Sam: “I never said that water isn’t wet, you need to spend more time considering what I said and less time projecting your bias labels on others.”

This the fruitless endeavor of arguing with Sam. I’m going to do something more fruitful, like nail jello to a wall.
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 09-06-2019, 06:42 AM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      That's what Cain said when he tried to deflect suspicion away from the fact that he murdered his brother. I'm not sure what you're trying to imply.
      Yes you are.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Yes you are.

Jim
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

One would think, after closely and actively reading my posts, that I spent a lot of time specifically outlining how I was not arguing and did not need to argue that online real estate listers were engaged in racial discrimination.

Maybe folks need to spend more time considering what they and others are arguing and less time projecting their biases as labels on others.

--Sam
          Great! Then we all agree it isn't happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            Arguing with Sam:

Me: “Water is obviously wet.”

Sam: “It’s possible that water is not wet.”

Me: “Do you have any evidence that water is not wet?”

Me: “So why are you arguing that it’s possible that water isn’t wet? Just stick your hand in a glass of water a few times and see if it ever comes back not wet.”

Sam: “That’s not science, do you have and studies that show that water is wet?”

Me: “Why do you need studies for such an easy experiment? Simply have you and some friends stick your hands in water and see if they come back as anything, but wet.”

Me: “So why do you keep arguing for the possibility that water isn’t wet when there’s no evidence to support the possibility that water isn’t wet?”

Sam: “I never said that water isn’t wet, you need to spend more time considering what I said and less time projecting your bias labels on others.”

This the fruitless endeavor of arguing with Sam. I’m going to do something more fruitful, like nail jello to a wall.
            ^ That.

Comment

• Meanwhile, black unemployment falls to a record low 5.5% thanks to Trump's economic policy.

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/20...ted-in-august/

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Meanwhile, black unemployment falls to a record low 5.5% thanks to Trump's economic policy.

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/20...ted-in-august/
                Probably only because he is secretly murdering all of the unemployed blacks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  ^ That.
                  Would be more useful for you to go back and restate the argument that was made instead of joining in with the trolling.

"Online real estate listings eliminate the opportunity for racial bias in the housing market" does not appear to me to be equivalent to "Water is wet". Nor, I think, would it be considered such by any reasonable person

--Sam
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Would be more useful for you to go back and restate the argument that was made instead of joining in with the trolling.

"Online real estate listings eliminate the opportunity for racial bias in the housing market" does not appear to me to be equivalent to "Water is wet". Nor, I think, would it be considered such by any reasonable person

--Sam
                    It’s because there’s no evidence to prove otherwise and it’s completely pointless to even bother reasoning with you. It’s a much better use of my time to use sarcasm and humor to point out your insanity. Especially since my point is that it’s virtually impossible to hide listings and keep certain people from seeing these listings with modern search tools, not that it’s impossible for racism to slip in at another point. You can’t even get what I said right either.
                    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 09-06-2019, 11:54 AM.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

--Sam
                      I think she did an excellent job of explaining your debate techniques and summarizing the last several pages in a humorous manner. Even to your dismissal of the 'testing' of the premise that you keep saying you never claimed.

Comment

--Sam
                        I would agree with you there. Pix made an unsustainable statement which you reasonably challenged. But the original assertion (of hers) has been lost and you're argument has been twisted over the course of the discussion into you claiming you have proof there IS racial bias in the algorithms used by real estate companies. You didn't, and you can take heart in that reasonable people capable of reading from beginning to end understand the difference.

Jim
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I would agree with you there. Pix made an unsustainable statement which you reasonably challenged. But the original assertion (of hers) has been lost and you're argument has been twisted over the course of the discussion into you claiming you have proof there IS racial bias in the algorithms used by real estate companies. You didn't, and you can take heart in that reasonable people capable of reading from beginning to end understand the difference.

Jim
                          We never said he claimed to have proof of racial bias in the algorithms used by real estate companies. A little active reading would show you that.

Comment

Jim
                            Than simply do an experiment and see if the search results change, depending on the computer or phone you use. See I’ve moved over a dozen times and most of my friends have too. I’ve helped many people find houses and apartments by using online search guides and you know what? Whenever we use my phone, computer, work computer, their phone, their computer, etc... the search results match. I have yet to see the search results on a black airman’s phone look any different than on mine. It’s almost as if you two are jumping to conclusions and trying to fill in the gaps between: “some AI’s return racist results” and “Zillow uses AI” to string together the two statements without ever showing that the search AI’s, of a peculiar company, are racist. Funny, I thought jumping to conclusions wasn’t science. So much for that.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              I think she did an excellent job of explaining your debate techniques and summarizing the last several pages in a humorous manner. Even to your dismissal of the 'testing' of the premise that you keep saying you never claimed.
                              Since it's relevant again, one of my favorite memories on this site is when I introduced a longitudinal study showing that children of same-sex parents fared as well or better in development as children of opposite-sex parents. You and Cow Poke misunderstood how the study was using the term "birth parents" and spent several pages arguing that the study was invalid because how the study defined and used the terms for its purpose (by including children who were adopted into a family when they were under a year old) wasn't the "right" way to define the term.

It was similarly exhausting but illuminating at the time.

--Sam
                              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Pix made an unsustainable statement which you reasonably challenged.
                                Suppose you had this exchange with someone:

You: "I'm not a racist."
                                Other person: "But it's possible that you are a racist."

Would you really consider that a reasonable challenge to your statement?

Comment