Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The irony of the New York Times’ 1619 Project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post

Don't you have some math papers to grade or something?
    And perfect hair requires a great deal of grooming

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Don't you have some math papers to grade or something?
      While peering with arched brow across nose-perched reading glasses.

Comment

Sam, rereading my last few posts in the light of day, I'd like to apologize to you for the tone I took. I was clearly frustrated with the repetitive nature of the conversation, and my replies were not helpful or constructive.

Comment

Sam, rereading my last few posts in the light of day, I'd like to apologize to you for the tone I took. I was clearly frustrated with the repetitive nature of the conversation, and my replies were not helpful or constructive.
          As was I. Thank you -- the apology is accepted and reciprocated. Will work on doing better going forward.

-Sam
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Been sitting on this piece of commentary since early yesterday -- its premise deals largely with the more hysteric Twitterheads' response to the 1619 Project and the content still seems more likely to steer the thread into tangents and fights. But I think Levitz does get a pretty crucial difference in how many people are approaching the project and a genuine discussion point on how the project should be approached.

Levitz identifies much of the "histrionic" criticisms from folks like Erick Erickson as arising out of a desire to maintain a particular ethnic mythology — in this case, the mythology of American exceptionalism that places white groups and historical figures in the key areas of focus. The 1619 Project debuted with the publishers explicitly challenging this framing, saying that the project's intent was to realign or refocus the American mythology around the efforts, experiences, and influence of black Americans — first through their experiences during slavery and then through their experiences leading up to the 1965 Civil Rights Act and beyond.

To many, this refocusing appears intended as a complete replacement: a nullification of white accomplishment and identity to be replaced with an alien conception of black identity, like the effort to cancel out Christopher Columbus and instead celebrate Indigenous Peoples' Day. To others, it is better seen as adding to and correcting aspects of our national history and mythology, replacing the subject in a narrow field-of-view with a broader range of subjects, each its own legitimate "center" of the picture.

And that seems to be the undercurrent of debate here: some appear to be arguing that Hannah-Jones and others are wrong to center black Americans' experiences to the exclusion or reduction of white Americans' experiences. The counter-argument, as I see it, isn't that Hannah-Jones and others are so much saying "But for black Americans, these things couldn't happen" as they are saying "You can't understand American history and progress without understanding that these things did happen." The 1619 Project attempt to refocus, in other words, is not meant to replace but to more fully inform and, by informing, illuminate parts of a picture that have been kept in shadow through the use of a too-narrow spotlight.

So far as I've read (Hannah-Jones, Desmond, Interlandi, Bouie), that distinction has held true. Whether it's true for all the essays or the project in full, I won't know until I've gone through it all. But most of the non-technical arguments I've seen swirling around the project in the past few days all seem tied to a debate over which of these two things the 1619 Project is trying to achieve.

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              And that seems to be the undercurrent of debate here: some appear to be arguing that Hannah-Jones and others are wrong to center black Americans' experiences to the exclusion or reduction of white Americans' experiences. The counter-argument, as I see it, isn't that Hannah-Jones and others are so much saying "But for black Americans, these things couldn't happen" as they are saying "You can't understand American history and progress without understanding that these things did happen." The 1619 Project attempt to refocus, in other words, is not meant to replace but to more fully inform and, by informing, illuminate parts of a picture that have been kept in shadow through the use of a too-narrow spotlight.

-Sam
              That is a charitable reading. So Sam what part of this history (save personal stories) did you or we not know about? That were kept in the shadows (be specific please). Black history has been front and center ever since I was high school in the 60s.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Since you appear to believe that racial discrimination is tolerable when the underlying intent is partisan and not "racist", I think you might not be the ideal audience for this sort of discussion.

--Sam

Originally posted by seer View Post
                That is a charitable reading. So Sam what part of this history (save personal stories) did you or we not know about? That were kept in the shadows (be specific please). Black history has been front and center ever since I was high school in the 60s.

Comment

Demonstrating how unmedia-savvy I am, I honestly had no idea that this was getting national attention till I saw it plastered on the front page of a newspaper this afternoon.

Comment

Since you appear to believe that racial discrimination is tolerable when the underlying intent is partisan and not "racist", I think you might not be the ideal audience for this sort of discussion.

--Sam
                    I never said that Sam, that is a lie. And you did not answer my question - what history was kept in the shadows?
                    Last edited by seer; 08-24-2019, 06:54 PM.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                      I never said that Sam, that is a lie.
                      "Appears" means that it's my perception, stemming from post #45, post #60, and the fact that I've never seen you express any outrage or even discomfort with Republican politicians disenfranchising black Americans for partisan purpose.

If I'm wrong, great. Still leaves me wondering why the issue of black disenfranchisement isn't a "real example" of racism to you. I would, at minimum, expect you to denounce all such efforts at racial and ethnic voter suppression going forward.

--Sam

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                        "Appears" means that it's my perception, stemming from post #45, post #60, and the fact that I've never seen you express any outrage or even discomfort with Republican politicians disenfranchising black Americans for partisan purpose.
                        I said nothing about gerrymandering being good or evil. I said both sides do it, and that what happened in North Carolina was not raced based.

If I'm wrong, great. Still leaves me wondering why the issue of black disenfranchisement isn't a "real example" of racism to you. I would, at minimum, expect you to denounce all such efforts at racial and ethnic voter suppression going forward.

--Sam
                        I will ask again Sam, if blacks voted mostly for Republicans would that gerrymandering have happened? We both know the answer - so it wasn't race based. And you did not answer this question - what history was kept in the shadows?

Comment

I said nothing about gerrymandering being good or evil. I said both sides do it, and that what happened in North Carolina was not raced based.
                          The example I gave, that you responded to, was of North Carolina Republicans commissioning a study on photo identification for a Voter ID law, not gerrymandering.

We could get into why extreme partisan gerrymandering often uses racial discrimination as a method (again using North Carolina Republicans) but the example in question was NC Republicans specifically targeting black voters by commissioning a study on photo identification by race and using the data to disenfranchise them.

If you look at that and say "That's not raced based because Republicans just want to win elections" then you've got more basic work to do before you can tackle the competing claims around the 1619 Project.

--Sam

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                            Demonstrating how unmedia-savvy I am, I honestly had no idea that this was getting national attention till I saw it plastered on the front page of a newspaper this afternoon.
                            Twitter may be a cursed, hellish pit but it does ensure its users are always up to date on the latest outrage cycles, I have to admit.

Comment

I will ask again Sam, if blacks voted mostly for Republicans would that gerrymandering have happened? We both know the answer - so it wasn't race based. And you did not answer this question - what history was kept in the shadows?
                              It is impossible to separate it like that. They are trying to corral all the black voters (regardless of their actual party affiliation) into one or a few districts so that the impact of their opinions as a voting group has less impact. They are not trying to corral all democratic voters regardless of race into one or a few districts. The targeting parameter is 'black'. And the fact that many black people tend to live in mostly segregated environments (a consequence of poverty and past discrimination) gives them a handle they simply don't have with white middle and upper class voters to implementing their jury rigged districts. By doing this they are in fact silencing or reducing the impact of the 'black' voters as a group independent of how they would actually vote in a way they simply can't do to the more powerful, more privileged white population. They are saying 'this is how black people vote' and because they vote like that, we will effectively disenfranchise black people.

And one of those things makes it racism.

Jim
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-24-2019, 09:33 PM.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Adding Bret Stephens' & Jamelle Bouie's NYT commentaries to this thought, as I think they illustrate the dialectic well.

Been sitting on this piece of commentary since early yesterday -- its premise deals largely with the more hysteric Twitterheads' response to the 1619 Project and the content still seems more likely to steer the thread into tangents and fights. But I think Levitz does get a pretty crucial difference in how many people are approaching the project and a genuine discussion point on how the project should be approached.

Levitz identifies much of the "histrionic" criticisms from folks like Erick Erickson as arising out of a desire to maintain a particular ethnic mythology — in this case, the mythology of American exceptionalism that places white groups and historical figures in the key areas of focus. The 1619 Project debuted with the publishers explicitly challenging this framing, saying that the project's intent was to realign or refocus the American mythology around the efforts, experiences, and influence of black Americans — first through their experiences during slavery and then through their experiences leading up to the 1965 Civil Rights Act and beyond.

To many, this refocusing appears intended as a complete replacement: a nullification of white accomplishment and identity to be replaced with an alien conception of black identity, like the effort to cancel out Christopher Columbus and instead celebrate Indigenous Peoples' Day. To others, it is better seen as adding to and correcting aspects of our national history and mythology, replacing the subject in a narrow field-of-view with a broader range of subjects, each its own legitimate "center" of the picture.

So far as I've read (Hannah-Jones, Desmond, Interlandi, Bouie), that distinction has held true. Whether it's true for all the essays or the project in full, I won't know until I've gone through it all. But most of the non-technical arguments I've seen swirling around the project in the past few days all seem tied to a debate over which of these two things the 1619 Project is trying to achieve.

--Sam

Comment