Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The irony of the New York Times’ 1619 Project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Even today, if you go to most universities you'll see many various ethnic groups willingly segregating themselves
    You'll even find student run organizations within schools that cater exclusively to a particular demographic (so long as they're not white, because that'd be racist).
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Now you're playing the twisting game on me. I never said nor have I assumed that the real estate sites are racist. I've only said that it is possible for bias to exist in the search algorithms, both explicit and implicit.

Do you understand the difference between

1) Real estate searches are biased demographically

and

2) It is possible for Real estate searches to contain biases both explicit and implicit.

They are not even remotely the same thing Sparko. But 2) does serve as a sufficient rebuttal for the claim that "internet searches eliminate the possibility of racial bias".

The only claim I ever responded to was the claim that the use of web searches eliminated the possibility of racial bias. And yet, here you are, waltzing off implying I'm assuming they are biased. Imagine that, not only is my observation that you twisted Sam's point correct, here you are in the span of just a few posts twisting my statements in the very same way.

Jim
      If it is just a mental exercise in what is possible, then why spend 20 pages arguing with us saying it is not happening?

I will take this as an admission that neither you nor Sam believe that there is any racial bias in Real Estate search engines, and no actual indications that there even might be any. Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
        Closing out my interest in this thread, I would be totally in favor of substantial, directed public investment in historically minority-segregated neighborhoods, with strict regulations in place to ensure that the added value goes to the minority homeowners. Or some form of mass reparations so that most, if not all, historically discriminated-against families and communities can increase the quality and worth of their neighborhoods or relocate.

But the people who just want to ignore generations of discrimination and illicit theft of property and wealth, under the guise that everything today is "fixed", are perpetuating a deeply immoral and, indeed, unsustainable system.

--Sam
        My God, you are ignorant...
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Closing out my interest in this thread, I would be totally in favor of substantial, directed public investment in historically minority-segregated neighborhoods, with strict regulations in place to ensure that the added value goes to the minority homeowners. Or some form of mass reparations so that most, if not all, historically discriminated-against families and communities can increase the quality and worth of their neighborhoods or relocate.

But the people who just want to ignore generations of discrimination and illicit theft of property and wealth, under the guise that everything today is "fixed", are perpetuating a deeply immoral and, indeed, unsustainable system.

--Sam
          It’s not ‘ignoring it’ as we’ve spent money like it’s water and it doesn’t seem to work, so the solution is do the same thing again and hope for different results. How well is that plan working? Handing out billions of dollars isn’t going to fix a thing.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            1 trillion dollars spent, in 50 years, and little has changed. Obviously, we need to spend more until the problem is solved.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Don't take the Lord's name in vain.
              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

So, in one sentence you manage to take the Lords name in vain and at the same time go for a personal attack instead of staying on topic. Why not just give us your good reasons and stay on topic?
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

That's not what it actually means to take the Lord's name in vain. It means to call yourself a Christian while living in disobedience. That is you are taking on the Lord's name as your identity in vain.

Comment

I didn't. You aparently don't know what THAT means either....
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      So, in one sentence you manage to take the Lords name in vain and at the same time go for a personal attack instead of staying on topic. Why not just give us your good reasons and stay on topic?
                      Yeah jump on that bandwagon, chuck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        That's not what it actually means to take the Lord's name in vain. It means to call yourself a Christian while living in disobedience. That is you are taking on the Lord's name as your identity in vain.
                        That is a very narrow interpretation. On christianity.com they have got an interesting article called What does it mean to take the Lord's name in vain? in which the following statements are made:

So it doesn't just refer to a certain tone of voice or a certain use of the word. It's dealing with God and speaking of God in a way that empties him of his significance.

This includes both throw-away words—like "God!" or "Jesus!"—as well as speaking about him in trifling and flippant ways.
                        So I think taking the Lord's name in vain is more than "O my God!" or "Jesus Christ!" It is that plus more.
                        To that I will add my own observation that it is interesting to note that the word "God" is used by BTC in this way and the main concern for some posters who call themselves Christians seems not to be on the holiness of the name but rather on defining a way out of the problem for BTC.
                        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Yeah, in no other context would the phrase "take someone's name" mean "speak someone's name."
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            Yeah, in no other context would the phrase "take someone's name" mean "speak someone's name."
                            That reminded me of this one:

Of all the synonyms associated with the taking of God’s name in vain, the one most closely identified is blaspheme. Some others include curse, abuse, profane, desecrate and revile. The bottom line is still the bottom line: God is making it very clear that blasphemy is the use of His name in any way other than to glorify Him alone! This means we can blaspheme by speaking God’s name irreverently and by using God’s name unlovingly. https://billygraham.org/decision-mag...-name-in-vain/

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              To not speak the name of the Lord in vain is to not use God's name in empty speech. Don't swear to God flippantly, do not speak of God flippantly, do not use God's name flippantly as an exclamation or exasperation.

To do so is profanity, for it takes what is holy and makes it vulgar.

--Sam
                              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                                That is a very narrow interpretation. On christianity.com they have got an interesting article called What does it mean to take the Lord's name in vain? in which the following statements are made:

To that I will add my own observation that it is interesting to note that the word "God" is used by BTC in this way and the main concern for some posters who call themselves Christians seems not to be on the holiness of the name but rather on defining a way out of the problem for BTC.
                                Christianity.com is incorrect. The immediately preceding context is about obeying God's commands.

Sorry, but cafeteria interpretations never stand up to scrutiny.

Comment