Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The irony of the New York Times’ 1619 Project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
    This is almost too easy.
    Of course it's easy when you ignore the fact that your own source contradicts you.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
      And since you have not understood it properly, I will quote the text again:

Because of the greatness of the name of God, any use of God's name that brings dishonor on Him or on His character is taking His name in vain. The third of the Ten Commandments forbids taking or using the Lord's name in an irreverent manner because that would indicate a lack of respect for God Himself.
      God's name isn't "God"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Of course it's easy when you ignore the fact that your own source contradicts you.
        Again you are unable to show how. I showed it contradicted you. You cut that out of the quote and now you are just making a claim with nothing to support it. Interesting.
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

...you are unable to show how.
          I showed you precisely how.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post668803

Comment

Nope. You showed no contridiction in that post. You claimed it supported your view. However, you had changed a bit in your original statement (conveniently). It still however clearly showed that his interpretation was not as narrow as your was. And I have showed all of this in here: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post668809
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

However, you had changed a bit in your original statement (conveniently).
              The only thing I changed was the word "it" to explicitly state what "it" was referring to. It didn't change the substance of my original statement despite your implication that I was being deceptive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                Cafeteria interpretations like those of Dave Miller, Ph.D.:
                I've never heard of Dave Miller, and his Ph.D in Rhetoric and Public Address doesn't seem too relevant, but digging into this the eminent Old Testament scholar Victor P. Hamilton summaries things this way,
                "In sum, the third commandment cautions against using the Lord's name falsely to buttress a truth claim that is fabricated. By extension, it prohibits any use of the holy name that is without any real significance, any trivializing of the Tetragrammaton. I am not sure whether biblical Israel has any concept of "cussing" or using a collection of "four-letter words," but it is not a misunderstanding of this commandment to bring it to bear on the pervasive use today of "O my God" in every imaginable situation."

He goes on to say that he doesn't think that the commandment can be limited to only "verbal turpitude of some sort," but that it also extends to the concept of being a carrier or bearer of the name of "the Lord your God."

So, yeah, ultimately it looks like Miller agrees with Hamilton. Personally, I think Bill's statement is a little light on the "name in vain" scale. He didn't utter it as a cuss or curse, but as an exclamation of awe or exasperation...still, it's something Christians should look to avoid, especially if/when it is tied to an insult as it was here.

Just my two cents.

Comment

• Black poverty hits record low in the Trump economy.

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/20...w-under-trump/

Comment

Black poverty hits record low in the Trump economy.

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/20...w-under-trump/
                    That is a good thing ... but it's a natural consequence of a good economy - for everyone. So you could say that about any subgroup, or any good economy.

I would say that the ONLY reason breitbart is reporting this is because Trump's approval rating with African-Americans is almost non-existent.

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      That is a good thing ... but it's a natural consequence of a good economy - for everyone. So you could say that about any subgroup, or any good economy.

I would say that the ONLY reason breitbart is reporting this is because Trump's approval rating with African-Americans is almost non-existent.

Jim
                      It's where it has always been - hovering right at 25%
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        It's where it has always been - hovering right at 25%
                        Everything I've seen suggests that Trump's popularity with minorities is above average for a Republican.

Comment

Everything I've seen suggests that Trump's popularity with minorities is above average for a Republican.
                          https://newsone.com/3886539/black-women-trump-poll/

Puts it @ 15% for black men, 3% for black women.

Jim
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Jim
                            And from such an unbiased source, too.

I like how they dismiss Rasmussen showing a 35% approval among blacks despite Rasmussen consistently being the most accurate pollster.

Comment

Jim
                              Thus why Trump is president today and not Clinton. IE Liberals choosing to accept comforting lies vs cold, hard, truth.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And from such an unbiased source, too.

I like how they dismiss Rasmussen showing a 35% approval among blacks despite Rasmussen consistently being the most accurate pollster.
                                I personally do not now a soul that is African American that approves of Trump. And yes, I work with and know enough African Americans that its makes sense to say it.

Jim

Comment