Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The irony of the New York Times’ 1619 Project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Yes ... but the only NT reference is of Jesus rebuking the pharisees for wanting to use it against him ...
    And who says I was quoting the New Testament.

Honestly, this all seems like a rather desperate deflection because I called you on your hypocrisy.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

And which are clearly condemned in scripture as I understand the scripture and what Trump is doing. There certainly can be room for debate as to whether my assessment of their incompatibility with scripture is correct.

The major point being, im not questioning anyone's actual commitjent to Christ. I'm questioning people's understanding of the implications of supporting what Trump is doing on that committment.

Jim
      Are you talking Trump's personal moral failings, which no Christian to my knowledge has defended, or his policy decisions as president, which any right thinking Christian can support with an easy conscience?

Comment

FIFYNC

And this has always been the case with autocratic or power thirsty personalities.

And it is why freedom of the press is absolutely critical to preserving any free or democratic form of government.

Jim
        I'm not sure what you're talking about. Trump has done nothing to hinder or suppress the free press. Perhaps you're thinking of Hussein O. who used the full power of the government to punish those journalists and institutions who displeased. Trump has only called them out for their lies -- like the latest canard from NBC falsely claiming that Trump had Russian oligarchs cosigning his loans. They immediately retracted the lie when Trump threatened to sue them for defamation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
          That should not prevent you from answering even if that is true. Thank you for providing further evidence that Ox's question is not easily answered. I predict we will not get a serious answer.
          Perhaps if he named specific policies and produced scripture proving then umbilical then it might be more fruitful than a blanket "Have you stopped beating your wife?" sort of question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            I'm not sure what you're talking about. Trump has done nothing to hinder or suppress the free press. Perhaps you're thinking of Hussein O. who used the full power of the government to punish those journalists and institutions who displeased. Trump has only called them out for their lies -- like the latest canard from NBC falsely claiming that Trump had Russian oligarchs cosigning his loans. They immediately retracted the lie when Trump threatened to sue them for defamation.
            Im reminded here of schultz in 'hogan's heros' ...

1 im not talking about Trump's attempts to nullify the free press

2 im not surprised you would feign ignorance of the difference between trump's spin on what he is doing and the legitimate criticisms of what he has done.

The abuse of the people of Puerto Ricos after the devastating hurricane would be one example. The abuse of the poor and the destitute in the name of immigration reform would be another.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Perhaps if he named specific policies and produced scripture proving then umbilical then it might be more fruitful than a blanket "Have you stopped beating your wife?" sort of question.
              It never was a question of that sort. But I can see that you cannot or will not answer. That is an answer in itself. Thanks.
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

And who says I was quoting the New Testament.

Honestly, this all seems like a rather desperate deflection because I called you on your hypocrisy.

honestly, you calling me a hypocrite is sort of like lance armstrong complaining about doping in cycling.

I believe that to call someone a hypocrite is to not recognize and be humbled by ones own struggle with hypocrisy. On par with the servant demanding payment from his fellow servant after having been forgiven the unpayable debt.

Jim
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Are you talking Trump's personal moral failings, which no Christian to my knowledge has defended, or his policy decisions as president, which any right thinking Christian can support with an easy conscience?
                  Both. And you have defended and rejoiced in several of them. One being his mockery of Ford, in another general case you defended him invoking his base attacking a young college freshman for calling him out on his actions toward women which resulted in death threats to her. You have defended his abuse of the entire population of puerto rico over petty political differences.

To name a few

Jim

Comment

I believe that to call someone a hypocrite is to not recognize and be humbled by ones own struggle with hypocrisy.
                    In that case, no one could be legitimately be called out as a hypocrite, ever.

I'll also note that you proffered this statement RIGHT AFTER strongly implying that Mountain Man is one.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The abuse of the people of Puerto Ricos after the devastating hurricane would be one example.
                      Yes... a crime perpetrated by Puerto Rico's own corrupt government officials who horded emergency supplies and literally left them to rot instead of distributing them to those in need.

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      The abuse of the poor and the destitute in the name of immigration reform would be another.
                      Not something Trump has actually done...
                      Last edited by Mountain Man; 08-29-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Both. And you have defended and rejoiced in several of them. One being his mockery of Ford
                        Ford is a proven liar who maliciously defamed an innocent man. I don't have a problem with Trump calling her on it, and neither should anyone else.

in another general case you defended him invoking his base attacking a young college freshman for calling him out on his actions toward women which resulted in death threats to her.
                        I don't know what you're referring to specifically, but this is not the sort of thing I would ever condone or defend, and I would love to review the thread on which you're basing this accusation as there is no doubt in my mind that your memory of events is in error.

You have defended his abuse of the entire population of puerto rico over petty political differences.
                        I have defended him against these false characterizations, yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          In that case, no one could be legitimately be called out as a hypocrite, ever.

I'll also note that you proffered this statement RIGHT AFTER strongly implying that Mountain Man is one.
                          Actually, only in the sense that we all are, but I didnt clarify.

And yes, I seriously doubt any of us can call another 'hypocrite' without first condemning ourselves.

What we can do is point out when an action or policy is hypocritical.

Jim

Comment

Yes... a crime perpetrated by Puerto Rico's own corrupt government officials who horded emergency supplies and literally left them to rot instead of distributing them to those in need.

Not something Trump has actually done...
                            Those are the way you presented your defense. The reality is Trump was mad at their governor and he simply did not do what was needed both to make sure the supplies were used and cared for properly and to deal with the aftermath long term. And a large number have died an MANY still suffer from the aftermath. Our church was just down there.

Jim

Comment

The local government's incompetence and/or corruption was nothing short of criminal.

They had allowed the infrastructure, including the power grid and roads to deteriorate to the point that they were repeatedly warned that they would be utterly wiped out if they took a direct hit by a good sized hurricane. And still they did absolutely nothing.

And then to make matters worse the local government stockpiled much needed relief supplies like food and water and refused to release them. For an example, José Ramón Andrés Puerta, the internationally renowned chef and founder of World Central Kitchen (a non-profit devoted to providing meals in the wake of natural disasters) was one of the first to draw attention to the up to 1 million bottles of water being stored by local officials who were refusing to release it. They sat there for over a year, until they became unfit for human consumption.

00000000000000ab000-00aaFD2.jpg
                              water still sitting a year later

And then they stockpiled equipment and supplies necessary to effect repairs forcing the feds to use armed force (or the threat of) in order to make them release them.

Source: Armed Federal Agents Seize 'Massive Store' Of Rebuilding Materials Kept From Puerto Rico's Hurricane Victims

Puerto Rico electricity provider was "hoarding" critical items needed to restore electricity to the island

Months after Hurricane Maria ravaged Puerto Rico, nearly half the island's residents are still without power. Despite the Federal Emergency Management Agency sending hundreds of workers to the area to help restore the electrical grid, they've been at a loss as to where critical construction items, shipped to the island as part of the recovery effort, have gone.

Now, armed federal agents are reportedly taking the situation into their own hands. Over the weekend, FEMA and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers began raiding warehouses, where the Puerto Rican Electric Power Authority has been "hoarding" these "critical materials" out of reach of aide workers.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Actually, only in the sense that we all are, but I didnt clarify.

And yes, I seriously doubt any of us can call another 'hypocrite' without first condemning ourselves.

What we can do is point out when an action or policy is hypocritical.

Jim
                                That appears to be largely a distinction without a difference. When someone is being called a hypocrite, it is typically done in response to something the person has just done or said.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment