Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Model Immigrants - My Nigerians

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Has to be either/or.
    Dem - this is your official notice NOT to post in this thread. I'm going to ask moderators to remove your post and this and any subsequent responses.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Has to be either/or. You think older generation wanted to give up culture of theirs, not pass on to kids of theirs for nothing? Very very painful to them, but they know it is so critical, must assimilate.

One must dominate over other, otherwise in long run division, also civil conflict. Then subordinate one is just for minor things like food.
    So when are you going to assimilate and stop talking like Tarzan?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    So when are you going to assimilate and stop talking like Tarzan?
    Don't insult Tarzan!

Also, CP just kicked him out, so...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Don't insult Tarzan!

Also, CP just kicked him out, so...
    Yeah I saw that after I posted. He can answer me by stopping trying to sound like Boris Badenov when he posts next.

5. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, it can go too far, I think. I love the idea of "keeping my culture" but "becoming American". Doesn't have to be an either/or, but I had some German neighbors like that once. My best friend regrets that he never learned German, because it wasn't allowed to be spoken in the house --- same thing "We're AMERICANS!"
    My Mom didn't know that her grandparents could speak German. For some reason, German wasn't a popular language in America in the 40s

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Don't insult Tarzan!
    The "Me Tarzan, You Jane" version of Tarzan seen in the movies starring Johnny Weissmuller was nothing like the Tarzan of Edgar Rice Burroughs' books. In the latter he was already fluent in English before meeting English speakers having taught himself from the children's primer books that his deceased mother brought with her to Africa and became able to converse in well over a dozen languages as time went on.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    My Mom didn't know that her grandparents could speak German. For some reason, German wasn't a popular language in America in the 40s
    I never knew that my father was fairly fluent in Swedish until after his death.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    The "Me Tarzan, You Jane" version of Tarzan seen in the movies starring Johnny Weissmuller was nothing like the Tarzan of Edgar Rice Burroughs' books. In the latter he was already fluent in English before meeting English speakers having taught himself from the children's primer books that his deceased mother brought with her to Africa and became able to converse in well over a dozen languages as time went on.
    I've read most of the books - but I will always have a soft spot for the Johnny Weissmuller version.

And it's actually not that far from the truth - Tarzan was fluent reading English before anyone shows up, but he learned spoken French before learning spoken English - which really messed him up at first.

10. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've read most of the books - but I will always have a soft spot for the Johnny Weissmuller version.

And it's actually not that far from the truth - Tarzan was fluent reading English before anyone shows up, but he learned spoken French before learning spoken English - which really messed him up at first.

He and my dad were friends. When we lived in Florida in the early 60s we would on occasion have lunch with him when he was in town[1] -- almost always at a Big Boy. I think my brother ended up with the autographed picture of him by the iconic statue like this one:

Being kindergarten age I was confused at how much older he was in real life than he was in the Tarzan movies.

1. He lived in Ft. Lauderdale while we lived in Jacksonville.

12. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    He and my dad were friends. When we lived in Florida in the early 60s we would on occasion have lunch with him when he was in town[1] -- almost always at a Big Boy. I think my brother ended up with the autographed picture of him by the iconic statue like this one:

Being kindergarten age I was confused at how much older he was in real life than he was in the Tarzan movies.

1. He lived in Ft. Lauderdale while we lived in Jacksonville.
    Wow - awesome!!!