Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Model Immigrants - My Nigerians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, it can go too far, I think. I love the idea of "keeping my culture" but "becoming American". Doesn't have to be an either/or, but I had some German neighbors like that once. My best friend regrets that he never learned German, because it wasn't allowed to be spoken in the house --- same thing "We're AMERICANS!"
    One of the hardest things about learning a language and being immersed in it is that it's soooooo tempting to shift to your native language when the going gets tough. I spent fifteen minutes working out how to explain what 'cream the butter' meant. Our conversations instructor decided to have us bake cookies - while only speaking German. Problem being yours truly was the only one who actually knew how to bake. I figured out what the phrase in German meant - then had to try and explain it to five guys who have NO baking experience in German which only one of them was fluent in - the instructor.

I did shift to English to confirm it meant what I thought it did - which didn't help because the instructor had no idea what I was talking about in either language.

Fifteen minutes just to get someone to smush the butter until it was soft and smooth.

I imagine some of those folks who refuse to use their native language are doing so because they're afraid they'll never learn English if they don't!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

My NZ citizenship application was approved 5 years ago (on my birthday) and our Citizenship Ceremony was on the 24th September 2014.
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
        RG has just started the process.
        Has he learned how to speak American yet?

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
          RG has just started the process.
          More power to him!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Doesn't have to be an either/or, but I had some German neighbors like that once.
            Has to be either/or. You think older generation wanted to give up culture of theirs, not pass on to kids of theirs for nothing? Very very painful to them, but they know it is so critical, must assimilate.

not abandoning their own culture, but embracing ours.
            One must dominate over other, otherwise in long run division, also civil conflict. Then subordinate one is just for minor things like food.
            Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
              Has to be either/or.
              Dem - this is your official notice NOT to post in this thread. I'm going to ask moderators to remove your post and this and any subsequent responses.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                Has to be either/or. You think older generation wanted to give up culture of theirs, not pass on to kids of theirs for nothing? Very very painful to them, but they know it is so critical, must assimilate.

One must dominate over other, otherwise in long run division, also civil conflict. Then subordinate one is just for minor things like food.
                So when are you going to assimilate and stop talking like Tarzan?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  So when are you going to assimilate and stop talking like Tarzan?
                  Don't insult Tarzan!

Also, CP just kicked him out, so...
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Don't insult Tarzan!

Also, CP just kicked him out, so...
                    Yeah I saw that after I posted. He can answer me by stopping trying to sound like Boris Badenov when he posts next.

Comment

Yeah, it can go too far, I think. I love the idea of "keeping my culture" but "becoming American". Doesn't have to be an either/or, but I had some German neighbors like that once. My best friend regrets that he never learned German, because it wasn't allowed to be spoken in the house --- same thing "We're AMERICANS!"
                      My Mom didn't know that her grandparents could speak German. For some reason, German wasn't a popular language in America in the 40s

Comment

Don't insult Tarzan!
                        The "Me Tarzan, You Jane" version of Tarzan seen in the movies starring Johnny Weissmuller was nothing like the Tarzan of Edgar Rice Burroughs' books. In the latter he was already fluent in English before meeting English speakers having taught himself from the children's primer books that his deceased mother brought with her to Africa and became able to converse in well over a dozen languages as time went on.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                          My Mom didn't know that her grandparents could speak German. For some reason, German wasn't a popular language in America in the 40s
                          I never knew that my father was fairly fluent in Swedish until after his death.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            The "Me Tarzan, You Jane" version of Tarzan seen in the movies starring Johnny Weissmuller was nothing like the Tarzan of Edgar Rice Burroughs' books. In the latter he was already fluent in English before meeting English speakers having taught himself from the children's primer books that his deceased mother brought with her to Africa and became able to converse in well over a dozen languages as time went on.
                            I've read most of the books - but I will always have a soft spot for the Johnny Weissmuller version.

And it's actually not that far from the truth - Tarzan was fluent reading English before anyone shows up, but he learned spoken French before learning spoken English - which really messed him up at first.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I've read most of the books - but I will always have a soft spot for the Johnny Weissmuller version.

And it's actually not that far from the truth - Tarzan was fluent reading English before anyone shows up, but he learned spoken French before learning spoken English - which really messed him up at first.

He and my dad were friends. When we lived in Florida in the early 60s we would on occasion have lunch with him when he was in town[1] -- almost always at a Big Boy. I think my brother ended up with the autographed picture of him by the iconic statue like this one:

Being kindergarten age I was confused at how much older he was in real life than he was in the Tarzan movies.

1. He lived in Ft. Lauderdale while we lived in Jacksonville.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                He and my dad were friends. When we lived in Florida in the early 60s we would on occasion have lunch with him when he was in town[1] -- almost always at a Big Boy. I think my brother ended up with the autographed picture of him by the iconic statue like this one:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39385[/ATTACH]

Being kindergarten age I was confused at how much older he was in real life than he was in the Tarzan movies.

1. He lived in Ft. Lauderdale while we lived in Jacksonville.
                                Wow - awesome!!!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment