Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Cancels Denmark Visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    This actually did have a concrete, if small, effect on the US's diplomatic standing. We need a president who does not troll, and I will be taking that into consideration next year.
    I like how former Danish prime minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen expresses his thoughts:

President Trump’s postponement of his visit to Denmark is a setback for our countries’ diplomatic relations, but it may be for the best. The Arctic’s security & environmental challenges are too important to be considered alongside hopeless discussions like the sale of Greenland. https://twitter.com/AndersFoghR/stat...94742558388225
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
      I like how former Danish prime minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen expresses his thoughts:
      I don't suppose you saw Trump's very gracious announcement in which he thanked the prime minister for her directness and for saving both countries the time and expense of the visit. Liberals are trying to spin this.as Trump putting his thumb in the eye of a foreign dignitary, but it's nothing like that.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...time-for-duda/
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I don't suppose you saw Trump's very gracious announcement in which he thanked the prime minister for her directness and for saving both countries the time and expense of the visit. Liberals are trying to spin this.as Trump putting his thumb in the eye of a foreign dignitary, but it's nothing like that.

This blog post sees no importance for the visit other than the purported purchase, but the US-Denmark relationship is important because the Arctic region has attained geopolitical importance over the last few years, and has been a focus for the Trump administration. Unlike this blogger, I don't think alliances should be treated so flippantly.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

This blog post sees no importance for the visit other than the purported purchase, but the US-Denmark relationship is important because the Arctic region has attained geopolitical importance over the last few years, and has been a focus for the Trump administration. Unlike this blogger, I don't think alliances should be treated so flippantly.
          So maybe Trump isn't being as ridiculous as people think when he is talking about buying Greenland. It seems to be of interest for military purposes and not only to Trump.

Was China’s Arctic push behind Donald Trump’s wish to ‘buy’ Greenland?

Greenland is gaining attention from global super powers including China due to its strategic location and its mineral resources

US President Donald Trump’s reported wish to buy Greenland may have been rejected by Denmark
          , but it underscores the rapidly rising value of the massive, ice-covered island due to global warming and to China’s drive for an Arctic presence.

The accelerating polar ice melt has left sparsely populated Greenland, a self-governing part of Denmark, astride what are potentially major shipping routes and in the crosshairs of intensifying geopolitical competition between superpowers.

It also has untapped natural resources like oil, minerals and valuable rare earth elements that China, the United States and other major tech economies covet.

A Chinese government-backed group’s offer last year to build three new international airports on Greenland sparked alarms in Copenhagen and Washington.

The Chinese plan was finally nixed in exchange for Danish funding and a pledge of support from the Pentagon.

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...rumps-wish-buy

Comment

So two tweets on twitter in which he explains he is not interested if Greenland is not for sale is a very gracious announcement? A rather absurd reason for not going. Mette Frederiksen put the right words on his absurd idea:

“Thankfully, the time where you buy and sell other countries and populations is over. Let’s leave it there. Jokes aside, we will of course love to have an even closer strategic relationship with the United States,” she said. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...te-frederiksen
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

The charge of flippancy seems to lay at the feet of the prime minister of Denmark. Although they better be careful with China sniffing around. They might have need of US protection sooner than later.

Comment

The charge of flippancy seems to lay at the feet of the prime minister of Denmark. Although they better be careful with China sniffing around. They might have need of US protection sooner than later.
                I genuinely don't see what's flippant about rebuffing the offer. This is how the whole scenario looks to me:

"I want to buy your car."
                "That's silly. It's not for sale."
                "Then I'm not going bowling with you on Tuesday."
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I genuinely don't see what's flippant about rebuffing the offer. This is how the whole scenario looks to me:

"I want to buy your car."
                  "That's silly. It's not for sale."
                  "Then I'm not going bowling with you on Tuesday."
                  International politics are, of course, considerably more complex and nuanced than your flippant () example.

But really, it's more like...

"Let's meet to discuss my buying your car."
                  "I refuse to sell my car."
                  "In that case, there's no point meeting. I appreciate your directness."

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    So maybe Trump isn't being as ridiculous as people think when he is talking about buying Greenland. It seems to be of interest for military purposes and not only to Trump.

Was China’s Arctic push behind Donald Trump’s wish to ‘buy’ Greenland?

Greenland is gaining attention from global super powers including China due to its strategic location and its mineral resources

US President Donald Trump’s reported wish to buy Greenland may have been rejected by Denmark
                    , but it underscores the rapidly rising value of the massive, ice-covered island due to global warming and to China’s drive for an Arctic presence.

The accelerating polar ice melt has left sparsely populated Greenland, a self-governing part of Denmark, astride what are potentially major shipping routes and in the crosshairs of intensifying geopolitical competition between superpowers.

It also has untapped natural resources like oil, minerals and valuable rare earth elements that China, the United States and other major tech economies covet.

A Chinese government-backed group’s offer last year to build three new international airports on Greenland sparked alarms in Copenhagen and Washington.

The Chinese plan was finally nixed in exchange for Danish funding and a pledge of support from the Pentagon.

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...rumps-wish-buy
                    Of course, the US also has a strategically important air force base there. I'm not sure how that plays in to everything, if at all.

Comment

I was about to post that.

Comment

China negotiates for mining rights and the like. But last time they judged it was too expensive.

Comment

International politics are, of course, considerably more complex and nuanced than your flippant () example.

But really, it's more like...

"Let's meet to discuss my buying your car."
                          "I refuse to sell my car."
                          "In that case, there's no point meeting. I appreciate your directness."
                          So, let's have a look at it.... Mette Frederiksen said the idea was a joke and she has called it absurd. Is that what you translate into: "I refuse to sell my car."

And regarding Trump's reaction we can read the following:

"I thought that the prime's statement that it was absurd, that it was an absurd idea was nasty," he said.

"I thought it was an inappropriate statement. All she had to do is say no, we wouldn't be interested." https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49423968
                          Is that what you translate into: "In that case, there's no point meeting. I appreciate your directness."?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                            Is that what you translate into: "In that case, there's no point meeting. I appreciate your directness."?
                            What's to translate? Trump himself said that he appreciated the prime minister's directness because it saved both countries the time and expense of meeting.

Comment

What's to translate? Trump himself said that he appreciated the prime minister's directness because it saved both countries the time and expense of meeting.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39197[/ATTACH]
                              You are once again skipping a large part of my post. Could not answer?

And we have seen those tweets before. What you forgot to adress was this part:

"I thought that the prime minister's statement that it was absurd, that it was an absurd idea was nasty," he said.

"I thought it was an inappropriate statement. All she had to do is say no, we wouldn't be interested." https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49423968
                              I understand if you like to ignore it. It is not supporting your agenda.

Comment

They thought they were going to discuss geopolitics and trade and what have you. Turns out POTUS was only interested in buying part of their union. True, it saved time on both accounts, but it's clearly a slur as he had no intention of going there for any other reason than his hair brained idea to buy Greenland.

Comment