Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Cancels Denmark Visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Cancels Denmark Visit

Source: Fox News

President Trump on Tuesday abruptly canceled a planned meeting with Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen, saying there was no point to the trip after Frederiksen called the idea that the U.S. might buy Greenland from Denmark "absurd" -- and insisted there would be no Copen-haggling about it.

Trump had been expected to visit Denmark on Sept. 2-3 as part of his trip to Europe, but until his tweets Tuesday, there were no solid indications the visit to Denmark was centered on buying Greenland
    Source

© Copyright Original Source

Or it could just be the rudeness the PM demonstrated - why visit Denmark if she's already signaling contempt?
    Last edited by Teallaura; 08-20-2019, 08:48 PM.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

I still think the whole idea is bizarre. Good grief.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

What's wrong with calling it absurd? It would be fair to call a proposal to buy Alaska absurd.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Source: Fox News

President Trump on Tuesday abruptly canceled a planned meeting with Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen, saying there was no point to the trip after Frederiksen called the idea that the U.S. might buy Greenland from Denmark "absurd" -- and insisted there would be no Copen-haggling about it.

Trump had been expected to visit Denmark on Sept. 2-3 as part of his trip to Europe, but until his tweets Tuesday, there were no solid indications the visit to Denmark was centered on buying Greenland
        Source

© Copyright Original Source

Or it could just be the rudeness the PM demonstrated - why visit Denmark if she's already signaling contempt?

Yep, that's it.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          What's wrong with calling it absurd? It would be fair to call a proposal to buy Alaska absurd.
          Why? If Alaska and the US were willing, why couldn't it be sold? Same issue with Greenland.

Just because you haven't seen it suggested before doesn't make it absurd. Besides, this is the second time the US has broached the subject with Denmark - the first was in 1947, only 80 years after we bought Alaska.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Where is Trump on the autism spectrum?
            Quite far along, I think.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              Where is Trump on the autism spectrum?
              Quite far along, I think.
              Seriously uncool, FF.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Are we seriously wondering why a public suggestion by POTUS to buy Greenland wasn't taken seriously and rebuffed? And this is showing contempt how, exactly? At least Truman kept it secret (to my knowledge the offer was only announced in the 90's). Deciding to use it as an excuse not to show up in Denmark also doesn't really reflect well either tbh.

Comment

I have to agree, it sounds absurd.

At first I thought it was a joke that the MSM took seriously and Trump played along. But now I have to admit it was Trump being serious.

Unless he has some unknown plan for Greenland that we aren't seeing, it sounds ridiculous. Maybe he is wanting to use it for military bases or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Why? If Alaska and the US were willing, why couldn't it be sold? Same issue with Greenland.

Just because you haven't seen it suggested before doesn't make it absurd. Besides, this is the second time the US has broached the subject with Denmark - the first was in 1947, only 80 years after we bought Alaska.
                    Because there is no evidence Denmark has any interest. It would be like if I kept talking about how I planned to buy your car.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Eh, Denmark will get over it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Eh, Denmark will get over it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                        Of course. I am a lot more worried about the Americans.
                        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                          I'm over it.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

This actually did have a concrete, if small, effect on the US's diplomatic standing. We need a president who does not troll, and I will be taking that into consideration next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                              Liberals will never get over Trump.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment