Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump Cancels Denmark Visit

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Trump Cancels Denmark Visit

Source: Fox News

President Trump on Tuesday abruptly canceled a planned meeting with Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen, saying there was no point to the trip after Frederiksen called the idea that the U.S. might buy Greenland from Denmark "absurd" -- and insisted there would be no Copen-haggling about it.

Trump had been expected to visit Denmark on Sept. 2-3 as part of his trip to Europe, but until his tweets Tuesday, there were no solid indications the visit to Denmark was centered on buying Greenland
    Source

© Copyright Original Source

Or it could just be the rudeness the PM demonstrated - why visit Denmark if she's already signaling contempt?
    Last edited by Teallaura; 08-20-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I still think the whole idea is bizarre. Good grief.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What's wrong with calling it absurd? It would be fair to call a proposal to buy Alaska absurd.
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Source: Fox News

President Trump on Tuesday abruptly canceled a planned meeting with Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen, saying there was no point to the trip after Frederiksen called the idea that the U.S. might buy Greenland from Denmark "absurd" -- and insisted there would be no Copen-haggling about it.

Trump had been expected to visit Denmark on Sept. 2-3 as part of his trip to Europe, but until his tweets Tuesday, there were no solid indications the visit to Denmark was centered on buying Greenland
    Source

© Copyright Original Source

Or it could just be the rudeness the PM demonstrated - why visit Denmark if she's already signaling contempt?

Yep, that's it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    What's wrong with calling it absurd? It would be fair to call a proposal to buy Alaska absurd.
    Why? If Alaska and the US were willing, why couldn't it be sold? Same issue with Greenland.

Just because you haven't seen it suggested before doesn't make it absurd. Besides, this is the second time the US has broached the subject with Denmark - the first was in 1947, only 80 years after we bought Alaska.

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Where is Trump on the autism spectrum?
    Quite far along, I think.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    Where is Trump on the autism spectrum?
    Quite far along, I think.
    Seriously uncool, FF.

8. Amen mossrose, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are we seriously wondering why a public suggestion by POTUS to buy Greenland wasn't taken seriously and rebuffed? And this is showing contempt how, exactly? At least Truman kept it secret (to my knowledge the offer was only announced in the 90's). Deciding to use it as an excuse not to show up in Denmark also doesn't really reflect well either tbh.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have to agree, it sounds absurd.

At first I thought it was a joke that the MSM took seriously and Trump played along. But now I have to admit it was Trump being serious.

Unless he has some unknown plan for Greenland that we aren't seeing, it sounds ridiculous. Maybe he is wanting to use it for military bases or something?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Why? If Alaska and the US were willing, why couldn't it be sold? Same issue with Greenland.

Just because you haven't seen it suggested before doesn't make it absurd. Besides, this is the second time the US has broached the subject with Denmark - the first was in 1947, only 80 years after we bought Alaska.
    Because there is no evidence Denmark has any interest. It would be like if I kept talking about how I planned to buy your car.
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller