Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    (original color == white)

approximate mental age = 12

Jim
    Are you done modifying your post yet?

I agree, a 12 year old might have difficulty distinguishing between the aptness of your and MM's characterizations of each other.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

2. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Similar to how the Democrats became "The Obama Party" and has never recovered?
    No.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Similar to how the Democrats became "The Obama Party" and has never recovered?
    Of course not. The Democrats are already busy distancing themselves from Obama. Carpe cannot imagine the Republicans doing the same with Trump.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

5. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    And perhaps one with a bit of diplomatic acumen, a slightly thicker skin, and some form of moral compass that is recognizable to the rest of us?

I suspect a LOT of people will be taking the past four years into consideration when they pull that lever, check that box, push that button, or punch that chad on November 3rd, 2020. And it appears Trump is about to get a third primary challenge. Walsh was initially a Trump supporter, but now has some serious words about the future of the GOP with Trump at the helm. Frankly, I don't think he will do any better than Weld. Neither will Flake, Kasich, or Sanford - if they run. Trump simply has too strong an approval rating among Republicans (a fact that continues to amaze/dismay me). If any of these five men truly want to put an end to the Trump presidency, they will eschew the primary and run as an independent in the general election. The resulting split of the Republican vote would sink Trump. But they would have to do this knowing their action would put a Democrat in the White House. That would mean they would have to so see Trump as a threat to our country and institutions that they would be willing to act to ensure that result, ending their career within the Republican party. I don't know if any of the five of them have that kind of commitment.
    This is actually the scary part. It's one thing when the loonies on the edge think they can't loose - it's another when the rank and file start thinking the same way.

Way too early to call a race - but Trump has no serious primary challengers at this point. The Democrats have a grossly enlarged field that couldn't set fire to their base without a flame thrower - and maybe not even then. The metrics are far more in Trump's corner than whoever the Dem challenger is at this point.

It is still too early - too much can happen - but it's also frightening that the Dem base is this over confident. They now have too many leftist reactionaries and a Trump win will set them off like a powder keg.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    This is actually the scary part. It's one thing when the loonies on the edge think they can't loose - it's another when the rank and file start thinking the same way.

Way too early to call a race - but Trump has no serious primary challengers at this point. The Democrats have a grossly enlarged field that couldn't set fire to their base without a flame thrower - and maybe not even then. The metrics are far more in Trump's corner than whoever the Dem challenger is at this point.

It is still too early - too much can happen - but it's also frightening that the Dem base is this over confident. They now have too many leftist reactionaries and a Trump win will set them off like a powder keg.
    A lot is riding on the state of the economy which is why the MSM is working so hard to tell us how bad it is.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    A lot is riding on the state of the economy which is why the MSM is working so hard to tell us how bad it is.
    Yup - that and MSM and other media are hoping for a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Who said anything about "can't lose?"

On the chance that Trump might actually win re-election, I'm already putting things in place to sell my home and move abroad. I am under no illusion that it is "in the bag."

I think you have to be VERY selective about what data you look at to come to this conclusion.

Meh...one person's "reactionary" is another person's "fresh new face with bold ideas." The left watched with some dismay as the phenomenon of the Tea Party unfolded and the left lost both houses and the executive, which cost them the judiciary as a secondary effect. Now the right is basically watching the left do essentially the same thing. I think you underestimate the degree to which the left is as solid against Trump as the right is for him, and the degree to which Trump is losing moderates and (it would seem) even some small percentage of his 2016 base. The narrow squeak of 2016 doesn't give him a lot of wiggle room, and I see him squandering what little wiggle room he had. If the economy turns, as it is widely expected to do, then I suspect Trump is all but DOA.

With any luck - I can keep the house and the citizenship and write off the last four years as a bizarre political aberration.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Who said anything about "can't lose?"

On the chance that Trump might actually win re-election, I'm already putting things in place to sell my home and move abroad. I am under no illusion that it is "in the bag."
    I grant you aren't going that far - but you demonstrate an unrealistic confidence, at least in the post I quoted.

I think you have to be VERY selective about what data you look at to come to this conclusion.
    I think you aren't nearly selective enough. Look at the whole picture, yes - but know what parts are in the composition and which aren't.

Meh...one person's "reactionary" is another person's "fresh new face with bold ideas." The left watched with some dismay as the phenomenon of the Tea Party unfolded and the left lost both houses and the executive, which cost them the judiciary as a secondary effect. Now the right is basically watching the left do essentially the same thing.
    Would that be the same 'fresh new idea' folks who are busily trying to shut down an anti-bigotry conference? The ones that have beaten people in the streets? The same ones that flee any real debate and shout down any dissent?

The Tea Party even as misrepresented in the media was still better than that.

I think you underestimate the degree to which the left is as solid against Trump as the right is for him, and the degree to which Trump is losing moderates and (it would seem) even some small percentage of his 2016 base.
    That would be correct - since the data you are relying on seems faulty to me. There is better evidence that moderates are leaving / being pushed out of the Democratic party - even some beginning to support Trump.

The Democrats are solidly insane - they are not unified, not even by their hatred of Trump.

The narrow squeak of 2016 doesn't give him a lot of wiggle room, and I see him squandering what little wiggle room he had. If the economy turns, as it is widely expected to do, then I suspect Trump is all but DOA.

With any luck - I can keep the house and the citizenship and write off the last four years as a bizarre political aberration.
    The evidence actually favors the 'narrow squeak' - it wasn't - having been influenced by Google's bias - between 2 and 10 millions votes may have been influenced. So if you want to go with the popular vote - Clinton, without Google, might not have won anyway.

Or you can look at it realistically - Trump's was a very sound win which should, but didn't, wake the Democratic Party to how much they are loosing the middle.

IF we use just the cross section of today - as if the election would be held tomorrow - there's no Democratic candidate with a realistic road to victory. And honestly, all this recession talk is dangerous - if it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy, that's meat for Trump; if not, Trump can point to how the Dems want so badly to get him that they are HOPING to harm the middle and lower classes (Bill Maher has been giving him plenty of ammo here). Shy of a really major setback, you need the economy to be worse than it was under Obama for this to hurt Trump - and all those folks who finally found work aren't going to listen to 'maybe' from the Democrats.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Of course not. The Democrats are already busy distancing themselves from Obama. Carpe cannot imagine the Republicans doing the same with Trump.
    This is the second time I've heard this about Democrats and Obama. Where is this happening?

12. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    This is the second time I've heard this about Democrats and Obama. Where is this happening?
    It was really brought out in the second round of debates. Obama is pretty far to the right of most of the candidates.

14. Amen Teallaura, DesertBerean amen'd this post.