Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Cancels Denmark Visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
    You are once again skipping a large part of my post. Could not answer?
    I considered it not worth answering.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Because there is no evidence Denmark has any interest. It would be like if I kept talking about how I planned to buy your car.
      So? That would have meant there was no evidence they didn't have any evidence when Trump suggested making the inquiry.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
        They thought they were going to discuss geopolitics and trade and what have you. Turns out POTUS was only interested in buying part of their union. True, it saved time on both accounts, but it's clearly a slur as he had no intention of going there for any other reason than his hair brained idea to buy Greenland.
        This is speculative and seems unlikely - if the Greenland purchase were the only reason, a seasoned real estate guy like Trump would have long since had the initial work done, instead of having an aide look into it with the trip already planned.

Denmark's PM spouted off and I think Trump just decided to skip Denmark. That actually makes more sense - and not in a nice way.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Source: Fox News

President Trump on Tuesday abruptly canceled a planned meeting with Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen, saying there was no point to the trip after Frederiksen called the idea that the U.S. might buy Greenland from Denmark "absurd" -- and insisted there would be no Copen-haggling about it.

Trump had been expected to visit Denmark on Sept. 2-3 as part of his trip to Europe, but until his tweets Tuesday, there were no solid indications the visit to Denmark was centered on buying Greenland
          Source

© Copyright Original Source

Or it could just be the rudeness the PM demonstrated - why visit Denmark if she's already signaling contempt?
          Wow, could he be any more of a snowflake. To cancel a scheduled trip to Denmark because the Danish Prime minister called his idea to buy Greenland absurd. What a child!

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
            Are we seriously wondering why a public suggestion by POTUS to buy Greenland wasn't taken seriously
            Not really because no real overture had been made.

and rebuffed?
            Yep.

And this is showing contempt how, exactly?
            The way she did it - but that doesn't seem to have really bothered Trump so maybe not.

At least Truman kept it secret (to my knowledge the offer was only announced in the 90's).
            Trump didn't make an announcement, as I recall.

Deciding to use it as an excuse not to show up in Denmark also doesn't really reflect well either tbh.
            That part is odd, given Trump's comments about her rebuff. I think there's more to it - but I don't know at this stage.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Wow, could he be any more of a snowflake. To cancel a scheduled trip to Denmark because the Danish Prime minister called his idea to buy Greenland absurd. What a child!
              Or he wanted to put her on notice that Denmark ain't one of the big boys - which this did do. I don't know for sure - maybe that really was the only reason for the trip in the first place - I doubt it. Or maybe he just doesn't like brown sauce?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Or he wanted to put her on notice that Denmark ain't one of the big boys - which this did do. I don't know for sure - maybe that really was the only reason for the trip in the first place - I doubt it. Or maybe he just doesn't like brown sauce?
                It was a state dinner that Trump himself requested, and Denmark is an NATO ally. He's a childish narcisitic idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I considered it not worth answering.
                  And once again you skipped part of the post... And, you are right, it is not worth answering if all you worry about is giving a one sided perspective on things.
                  "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Looks like I got it right the first time!

Source: Fox News

In remarks outside the White House, the President said that he felt the Prime Minister "was nasty" in calling his proposal, "absurd" and said that he postponed the visit because "you don't talk to the United States that way."

© Copyright Original Source

Source

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      It was a state dinner that Trump himself requested, and Denmark is an NATO ally. He's a childish narcisitic idiot.
                      Denmark isn't a powerful ally - it just isn't. Rather than a gracious 'no, thanks' their PM decided to get snarky. No, he shouldn't have put up with that. There was no call for her to do that in the first place and in the second, whether she likes the guy or not, he is President of the United States and he didn't do anything wrong in simply asking.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                        And once again you skipped part of the post... And, you are right, it is not worth answering if all you worry about is giving a one sided perspective on things.
                        To be fair, MM is going by one quote and you another. I agree with MM that Trump's initial response was more gracious than Denmark's PM's statement had been.

And it may simply be that when he had thought about it, Trump changed his mind somewhat - explaining the inconsistency. Or he was trying to be more diplomatic than she was.

Regardless, Trump was right to cancel the trip. If she's going to be snarky about a simple overture, why bother with her at all? What good would it do?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Denmark isn't a powerful ally - it just isn't. Rather than a gracious 'no, thanks' their PM decided to get snarky. No, he shouldn't have put up with that. There was no call for her to do that in the first place and in the second, whether she likes the guy or not, he is President of the United States and he didn't do anything wrong in simply asking.
                          One can just imagine how a stickler for courtesy and correct procedure like Trump would be offended when the prime minister of a fellow NATO power dismissed his public ruminations about purchasing a territory which wasn’t actually for sale. Of course he would cancel a state dinner, which was in advanced preparation, and in effect tell the queen of Denmark to “stick it in your ear.” It’s what any global leader would do. Isn’t it?
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            This actually did have a concrete, if small, effect on the US's diplomatic standing. We need a president who does not troll, and I will be taking that into consideration next year.
                            And perhaps one with a bit of diplomatic acumen, a slightly thicker skin, and some form of moral compass that is recognizable to the rest of us?

I suspect a LOT of people will be taking the past four years into consideration when they pull that lever, check that box, push that button, or punch that chad on November 3rd, 2020. And it appears Trump is about to get a third primary challenge. Walsh was initially a Trump supporter, but now has some serious words about the future of the GOP with Trump at the helm. Frankly, I don't think he will do any better than Weld. Neither will Flake, Kasich, or Sanford - if they run. Trump simply has too strong an approval rating among Republicans (a fact that continues to amaze/dismay me). If any of these five men truly want to put an end to the Trump presidency, they will eschew the primary and run as an independent in the general election. The resulting split of the Republican vote would sink Trump. But they would have to do this knowing their action would put a Democrat in the White House. That would mean they would have to so see Trump as a threat to our country and institutions that they would be willing to act to ensure that result, ending their career within the Republican party. I don't know if any of the five of them have that kind of commitment.
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              I have to agree, it sounds absurd.

At first I thought it was a joke that the MSM took seriously and Trump played along. But now I have to admit it was Trump being serious.

Unless he has some unknown plan for Greenland that we aren't seeing, it sounds ridiculous. Maybe he is wanting to use it for military bases or something?

One of the reasons I was so strongly against Trump was that I knew he would take his abusive way of life as a big money buisinessman into the whitehouse. As a rich buisnessman, he can pretty much do whatever he wants to his 'friends' and they'll put up with it. They want access to him because he has money and poeer and he is known to reward loyalty from his 'friends' between abuse sessions. That kind of abuse doesn't play so well on the world stage and has seriously undermined the stability of our relationships with our most important allies. This stunt with Greenland and Denmark is just another instance of the same.

Jim
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Regardless, Trump was right to cancel the trip. If she's going to be snarky about a simple overture, why bother with her at all? What good would it do?
                                I like Trump's comment about how foreign leaders can no longer get away with disrespecting the US like they did when Obama was president.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment