Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Cancels Denmark Visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    A lot is riding on the state of the economy which is why the MSM is working so hard to tell us how bad it is.
    Yes, Trump hadsn't totally destroyed the Obama recovery of the Bush economy yet, but he's working hard at it. It's the republican way, destroy the economy, increase the national debt, and then leave it for the democrats to clean up while they try to pin the blame for the mess on them.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Yes, Trump hadsn't totally destroyed the Obama recovery of the Bush economy yet, but he's working hard at it. It's the republican way, destroy the economy, increase the national debt, and then leave it for the democrats to clean up while they try to pin the blame for the mess on them.
      Do you practice in front of a mirror?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        It was really brought out in the second round of debates. Obama is pretty far to the right of most of the candidates.
        Wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Wrong.
          I am quite confident that Starlight would agree with me on this.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I am quite confident that Starlight would agree with me on this.
            Political compasses of the 2012 and 2020 elections:

2012.jpg 2020.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Political compasses of the 2012 and 2020 elections:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39389[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]39390[/ATTACH]
              Hogan, all the way to the very right? From that graph, you'd never know that he managed to get elected governor of a very blue state; in Maryland, Dems have something like a 2 to 1 registration advantage.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Hogan, all the way to the very right? From that graph, you'd never know that he managed to get elected governor of a very blue state; in Maryland, Dems have something like a 2 to 1 registration advantage.
                Well obviously the whole chart needs to be shifted to the left by about half a quadrant, but relatively it shows how the democrat candidates stack up against Obama (who would be just a little below the "t" in "Moulton" on the 2020 chart)

Comment

Well obviously the whole chart needs to be shifted to the left by about half a quadrant, but relatively it shows how the democrat candidates stack up against Obama (who would be just a little below the "t" in "Moulton" on the 2020 chart)
                  I don't even know that it shows that relatively accurately; there's a huge clump just barely to the left of Obama, which doesn't pass the smell test. In what universe are Mike Pence and Larry Hogan virtually indistinguishable?

sigpic

Comment

I don't even know that it shows that relatively accurately; there's a huge clump just barely to the left of Obama, which doesn't pass the smell test. In what universe are Mike Pence and Larry Hogan virtually indistinguishable?
                    I have no clue who Hogan is or where his political views put him.

I was just trying to help you

You're welcome.

Comment

I have no clue who Hogan is or where his political views put him.

I was just trying to help you

You're welcome.
                      I appreciate the effort, it just doesn't help me all that much IMO.

sigpic

Comment

FYI: political compasses aren't a great way to measure individual candidates - the results are based on guesswork from statements and official releases.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          FYI: political compasses aren't a great way to measure individual candidates - the results are based on guesswork from statements and official releases.
                          And we've repeatedly shown that this particular one is wildly inaccurate at best.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

FYI: political compasses aren't a great way to measure individual candidates - the results are based on partisan interpretations of statements and official releases.
                            ftfy, n/c

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                              'Many a true word is spoken in jest'.
                              And sometimes a joke is just a joke.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

No, already said we weren't interested - you were the one hinting that the US could lose allies.
                                You'll lose a place for a lot of your arctic bases, and you'll have to dismantle a lot of your nuclear missile radar installations. It's up to you if the whole missile defense shield is worth persuing, or arctic landing strips are something you're interested in. As for Trump, his reaction came out of leftfield, was unpredictable and hasn't hurt Denmark in the slightest. You will get another president at some point.

Originally posted by Leonhard
                                He asked us whether we would sell one of our colonies,
                                No, he didn't. It came up in conversation and he asked an aide if it were possible to buy Greenland. No formal or even informal overture was EVER made.
                                Did he, or did he not suggest that Denmark should sell Greenland in front of the Prime Minister? I don't know why you're defending him so much, Teal. He made an obvious gaff. Embarrassing things he wasn't thinking of came out of his mouth. What's surprising about that? That's Trump. That's the guy a lot of US Conservatives voted for. Try reading some of the threads around here, or go back to 2016. People here was celebrating him saying things like that. All that happened is that our PM told him the truth about his proposal: It was absurd.

Denmark already practically crawls on its knees for you guys.

We're part of your NSA organized spy ring, you've been given deep access to the network of Denmark, so that can also get some intel scrappings. We decided to go ahead with your fault ridden F-35 fighters, who do a massive data dump to US servers each time they land and we can't be told what that data dump consists of, and its just kinda part of the deal so far, oh and their batteries short out when they fly over areas we still have to patrol. Such as Greenland and the Arctic. We can get a fix, eventually, maybe. Also, we aren't allowed to do any kind of repairs to them other than using replacement parts, and we are not allowed to make those either, even though factories in Denmark make them. The parts have to be shipped to Florida and sold back to us. We are not allowed access to the software, or the drivers of the planes. We frankly don't know if they come with an off switch you guys can flip.

We participate in your wars. We let you build massive military installations on Greenland, and ignore the huge amounts of pollution and leaks that occur from that place. Or when you leave armed nuclear warheads sitting there, by accident, even though we have an agreement signed since the eighties about you not doing that. We let you build a missile base on Greenland in the fifties, where you also decided to put an experimental nuclear reactor to power said base, none of which you cleaned up when you abandoned it.

But we've enjoyed a long and friendly relationship with you. We buy your planes, even though we might have gotten a better deal from the French. We look the other way considering the pollution you caused on Greenland, and delayed negotiations on that, after all Greenland is a big place. We smoothed it out diplomatically regarding those nuclear warheads.

For all that, I believe a modicum of respectful treatment from you could be asked for.

Not for the US to swagger in and make outrageous suggestions about us selling a colony we're still paying reparations for our history with.

you did lose a diplomatic opportunity but it shouldn't be a big loss.
                                A diplomatic opportunity? What does that mean here Teal? A photo op with Trump?

What negatives do we accrue? None. What benefits would we recieve, nothing significant. You're not going to give us a better deal on the fighter jets, source code access, or permission to manufacture spare parts ourselves, even friendlier presidents than Trump was adamant on that. The mess on Greenland will still sit there. And your Thule base will still be a mess we accept you have up there.
                                Last edited by Leonhard; 08-29-2019, 01:44 AM.

Comment