Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Strange Pet Quirks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
    My dog is terrified of dogs smaller than herself, especially puppies. We had a neighbour with a teacup Yorkie, and a neighbour on the other side with a Papillon, and if she saw either she would run back inside with her tail between her legs. Big dogs don't bother her any, it's just the little ones that scare her so much.
    Maybe she can't figure out that they are?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jake likes to do this:

Jakeyshark2.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Jake is a lovely shade of brown.
        Yeller!

Comment

Interesting -- I think it is, indeed, men. But if you're on the other side of the fence or wall or whatever, he is FEROCIOUS and you'd think he's going to eat you!

(Actually, Jake is the same way -- if you just tough it out and come into the yard or front door, Jake will lick you to death and get you a cup of coffee)

Is the coffee before or after the licking to death?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Is the coffee before or after the licking to death?
            Yes
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Here's one: My shih-tzu (put to sleep a few months ago, almost 14 years old) was racist! No kidding! He hated blacks and Hispanics. And I'm talking about people, not other dogs. We got him from a Hispanic family that bought him for $400, complete with papers documenting that he wasn't a mutt. But they kept him in a cage, and he was flea-bitten and mangy. We suspect he was probably abused in addition to that.
              When I Survey....

Comment

Interesting -- I think it is, indeed, men. But if you're on the other side of the fence or wall or whatever, he is FEROCIOUS and you'd think he's going to eat you!

(Actually, Jake is the same way -- if you just tough it out and come into the yard or front door, Jake will lick you to death and get you a cup of coffee)
                He probably takes his cue from you as lead dog. If he sensed you were being hostile to a visitor, I'd guess that he would act differently.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                  Here's one: My shih-tzu (put to sleep a few months ago, almost 14 years old) was racist! No kidding! He hated blacks and Hispanics. And I'm talking about people, not other dogs. We got him from a Hispanic family that bought him for $400, complete with papers documenting that he wasn't a mutt. But they kept him in a cage, and he was flea-bitten and mangy. We suspect he was probably abused in addition to that.
                  Ah... Jake loves to ride in the truck with me, and loves to watch people in other cars, people walking down the street, standing around.....

But when he sees a person on a motorcycle with a helmet and black face shield, Jake goes absolutely stark raving mad, and wants to go attack and eat them, barking and snarling and jumping all around!

I think he must think they're aliens or something.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    He probably takes his cue from you as lead dog. If he sensed you were being hostile to a visitor, I'd guess that he would act differently.
                    Do you ever watch Cesar Millan on Dog Whisperer (or whatever that show is)?

I like how he explains, when encountering a dog for the first time, "No touch, no talk, no eye contact is the best and only advice I give for meeting a strange dog. Ignore the dog and let it come to you to get your scent and sense your energy — to the dog, those two things are your “name.” Then, let the dog decide. If it walks away, then it's not interested".

Of course, if the dog chews your leg off, then he obviously IS interested.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      No doubt -- even if I get up too quickly from the couch or chair, Jake snaps to attention and runs to the door ready to defend, even if there's nothing going on.

Comment

Jake follows me around like a puppy.

Oh, wait, he is one.

Comment

Our dog used to bark at everything moving outside and would bark at people coming in the door until they would say hello and pet him. But that probably describes most dogs.... They bark at newcomers because they want pets.
                          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Did you know that you have a yellow dog?
                            He prefers "golden."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Jake likes to do this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39203[/ATTACH]
                              I have a friend who had a 50 lb mutt and when his mother died inherited her Pekinese. The bigger dog would lay on her back like that when they "play fought" like she was trying to give the little one a fair chance.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

One of those things I wish I had known a long time ago....

Since Jake is a "runner", and started escaping the back yard, I would have to wonder off into the woods or into the pasture to find him and lead him back home.

A friend of mine told me, "don't chase him, just let him see you, then sit down." "Sit down?", I asked. Yes, she said - if you sit down, he'll come running right to you.

Yeah, right.

So the very next time Jake got out and ran across the pasture, and he was about to head into the woods, I called his name, saw him turn and look (that's usually when he would laugh and start to run) he just paused a moment, then came bounding across the pasture right to me.

When he got to me, he started licking my face - I'm still sitting down - and look at me like "hey, what's wrong?"

IT WORKS!!!! I have used that several times, now!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X