Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Strange Pet Quirks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do dogs have more quirks than cats?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Jake can jump nearly to my chin level --- straight up, which he does when he thinks he is getting a treat. (he's a schnauzer so that's pretty high) but he won't jump up on the bed. He doesn't think he can make it.

And I finally taught him how to go up and down the 4 steps on the deck, but he won't go up or down any other stairs. I took him down to the basement and tried to get him to go up the steps by putting food on each step, but he just sat their scared to death. The stairs are wooden just like the deck steps.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Do dogs have more quirks than cats?
        This is a thread about pets, not cats.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Jake has some funny quirks...

If Mrs CP and I are both leaving the house together, like on Sunday Morning, we'll give Jake a treat on the way out. He'll take that treat, and put it on the floor in the middle of the living room.

When we come home, he'll run and get that treat and start eating it.

What's up with that?
          My dog won't eat her dinner unless we're in the room with her. When I feed her, if RG and I are busy in another room, I have to take her food back with me into that room and let her eat with us. If I leave her food in the kitchen, she will come back to the other room with me and ignore the food.
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

I think they are all a lot smarter than we give them credit for.

Except the one dog we had in my lifetime. When I was 12 my Dad took in a Boston Terrier that belonged to the man who worked for Dad. He was moving and couldn't take the dog, so she ended up with us.

She had a penchant for chasing after every dog she saw, and if she wasn't leashed, she was gone.

She got out of the house one day when we were at school. Mom didn't know she was out until she saw her racing across the street after another dog. She was hit by a car and killed. The dog, not Mom.

Stupid dog.
            One of my sisters has a Koolie who once jumped out of a second story window to run after a dog he saw walking down the street. He hit the concrete below and dashed off like nothing had happened. This same dog would sail right over a six-foot-tall fence to play with one of his doggie friends. He is old now and can't do things like that anymore but he is still mischievous sometimes.

Comment

When he goes outside to do his business, he comes in expecting a treat. He'll go to the kitchen and face the pantry, which is where his treats are kept. Every once in a while, I'll offer him a choice between his doggie bone treat, or a "cigar" (a piece of pupperoni stick) and he will ALWAYS choose the pupperoni stick. HOWEVER, he will eat the pupperoni stick right there in the pantry, but he will ALWAYS take the doggie bone to the middle of the living room to eat it.
              My dog will not eat a treat if she's on the tile in the kitchen. She will go to a rug, any rug, and eat it there. If she's on a rug already when I give it to her, she'll stay right there and eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                My dog will not eat a treat if she's on the tile in the kitchen. She will go to a rug, any rug, and eat it there. If she's on a rug already when I give it to her, she'll stay right there and eat it.
                Don't you wish you could ask, "OK, what's that all about?"
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                  Sometimes when I feed Jake, he isn't interested in his dog food. He will sniff the bowl and ignore it. But, if I take some of the dog food and toss it on the kitchen floor, he will gobble it up like he is starving. Then ignore the bowl again.

I even tried changing bowls.

Comment

This is a thread about pets, not cats.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Sometimes when I feed Jake, he isn't interested in his dog food. He will sniff the bowl and ignore it. But, if I take some of the dog food and toss it on the kitchen floor, he will gobble it up like he is starving. Then ignore the bowl again.

I even tried changing bowls.

Maybe he thinks they are treats and not food, and he'd rather have treats than food?

Comment

Maybe he thinks they are treats and not food, and he'd rather have treats than food?
                        Or he thinks you're playing. Or he thinks you're throwing away his food.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Don't you wish you could ask, "OK, what's that all about?"
                          There is absolutely no reason you couldn't ask.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            There is absolutely no reason you couldn't ask.
                            And I have!

Comment

Both of our last 2 cats loved to drink water out of my water glass that I keep beside the couch. They would dip a paw into the glass and lick their paw over and over. I don't know if the older one "taught" the younger one to do that.

Several of the Siamese cats that I've had in my lifetime would play fetch. We would tie a small plastic bag into knots and throw it, and the cats would go get it and bring it back. No other breed of cat we ever had would do that.

One of our cats, when my kids were little, would come into the room and stare at the tv whenever Kermit came on Sesame Street. She would watch him until he wasn't on anymore and then go away.

Every cat I ever had would come and want attention every single time I went into the bathroom or was talking on the phone.
                              My cat will play fetch; sometimes she'll bring me something to throw. She also wants attention when I talk on the phone and when I say my prayers.

One of my first cats would sit up on her hind legs and look around like a prairie dog.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

And I have!
                                And the response?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X