Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Pet Quirks

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    My Jake likes to attack my pants when I put them on in the morning.
    YES!!!! A couple of times, he's made me get my foot caught in them, and nearly fall over!

Trying to eat the pants legs. And when I get undressed, he tries to eat my socks as I take them off.
    OK, that's weird!

and he likes to play fetch, but he won't bring the toy all the way back unless I ignore him. If I try to get him to bring it to me, he will drop it a distance away and "dare" me to try to get it, so he can run off with it, playing "keep away" - but if I ignore him, and look away, he will bring it right to me and drop it at my feet. Then wait for me to try to get it so he can pounce on it.
    If I throw a ball or something, Jake looks at me like, "OK, I guess you didn't want that".
    DuckDuckGo - Privacy Simplified

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's the ONLY explanation we can come up with... "OK, you're home, I can go ahead and eat this".

Or he wants your "good boy!" for saving and eating the treat.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

3. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Or he wants your "good boy!" for saving and eating the treat.
    When he goes outside to do his business, he comes in expecting a treat. He'll go to the kitchen and face the pantry, which is where his treats are kept. Every once in a while, I'll offer him a choice between his doggie bone treat, or a "cigar" (a piece of pupperoni stick) and he will ALWAYS choose the pupperoni stick. HOWEVER, he will eat the pupperoni stick right there in the pantry, but he will ALWAYS take the doggie bone to the middle of the living room to eat it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    YES!!!! A couple of times, he's made me get my foot caught in them, and nearly fall over!

OK, that's weird!

If I throw a ball or something, Jake looks at me like, "OK, I guess you didn't want that".
    Taz was like that. He didn't care about toys or playing at all. Just sleeping and eating. I bought one of those kong toys you can put food in, and he would only play with it while the food lasted, then walk away. Jake on the other hand, can keep himself entertained for hours with his toys. He has a rubber chicken that squeaks, and he will run back and forth from the living room to the kitchen at lightning speed for like 20 minutes because he likes the way it sqeaks while he runs.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Taz was like that. He didn't care about toys or playing at all. Just sleeping and eating. I bought one of those kong toys you can put food in, and he would only play with it while the food lasted, then walk away. Jake on the other hand, can keep himself entertained for hours with his toys. He has a rubber chicken that squeaks, and he will run back and forth from the living room to the kitchen at lightning speed for like 20 minutes because he likes the way it sqeaks while he runs.
    EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE, Jake will go over to his toy bucket and pull out a stuffed animal and toss it in the air, growl at it, wrestle with it for a minute, then walk away like "OK, I did that".

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Do dogs have more quirks than cats?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Jake can jump nearly to my chin level --- straight up, which he does when he thinks he is getting a treat. (he's a schnauzer so that's pretty high) but he won't jump up on the bed. He doesn't think he can make it.

And I finally taught him how to go up and down the 4 steps on the deck, but he won't go up or down any other stairs. I took him down to the basement and tried to get him to go up the steps by putting food on each step, but he just sat their scared to death. The stairs are wooden just like the deck steps.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Do dogs have more quirks than cats?
    This is a thread about pets, not cats.

10. Amen KingsGambit, QuantaFille, mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Jake has some funny quirks...

If Mrs CP and I are both leaving the house together, like on Sunday Morning, we'll give Jake a treat on the way out. He'll take that treat, and put it on the floor in the middle of the living room.

When we come home, he'll run and get that treat and start eating it.

What's up with that?
    My dog won't eat her dinner unless we're in the room with her. When I feed her, if RG and I are busy in another room, I have to take her food back with me into that room and let her eat with us. If I leave her food in the kitchen, she will come back to the other room with me and ignore the food.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

12. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think they are all a lot smarter than we give them credit for.

Except the one dog we had in my lifetime. When I was 12 my Dad took in a Boston Terrier that belonged to the man who worked for Dad. He was moving and couldn't take the dog, so she ended up with us.

She had a penchant for chasing after every dog she saw, and if she wasn't leashed, she was gone.

She got out of the house one day when we were at school. Mom didn't know she was out until she saw her racing across the street after another dog. She was hit by a car and killed. The dog, not Mom.

Stupid dog.
    One of my sisters has a Koolie who once jumped out of a second story window to run after a dog he saw walking down the street. He hit the concrete below and dashed off like nothing had happened. This same dog would sail right over a six-foot-tall fence to play with one of his doggie friends. He is old now and can't do things like that anymore but he is still mischievous sometimes.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

14. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.