Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dual loyalty - anti-semitic or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual loyalty - anti-semitic or not?

Ilhan Omar was excoriated as anti-semitic for suggesting that Jews have a "dual loyalty" to Israel.

How is that substantively any different from Trump's comment yesterday that "Any Jewish people that Vote for a Democrat, I think it shows either a total lack of knowledge or great disloyalty"?

Either American Jews have a loyalty to Israel or they do not, and either it is offensive to claim this or it is not.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Ilhan Omar was excoriated as anti-semitic for suggesting that Jews have a "dual loyalty" to Israel.

How is that substantively any different from Trump's comment yesterday that "Any Jewish people that Vote for a Democrat, I think it shows either a total lack of knowledge or great disloyalty"?

Either American Jews have a loyalty to Israel or they do not, and either it is offensive to claim this or it is not.
    You can strongly support the state of Israel without having dual loyalty, as most Christians here do. And let's face it Israel is increasingly becoming persona non grata in the Democrat party.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

"Dual loyalty" in itself is not a bad thing because Christians all have loyalty to the kingdom of God among all else, right? I get that it's a bit trickier with the US and Israel because they're both more in the same category of being actual countries.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        You can strongly support the state of Israel without having dual loyalty, as most Christians here do. And let's face it Israel is increasingly becoming persona non grata in the Democrat party.
        Okay, but Trump actually used the word "disloyalty", so trying to downplay that concept isn't relevant to the discussion of what he said.

Comment

I think the difference is that in the case of Israel, the muslims don't hate the secular country so much as the Jewish people. And the Jewish people here in the USA should have a loyalty to their own people even in foreign countries. So voting democrat is actually supporting attacks against the Jews in Israel.

Israel as a country is inextricably tied up with the Jewish religion and ethnicity.

Comment

Okay, but Trump actually used the word "disloyalty", so trying to downplay that concept isn't relevant to the discussion of what he said.
            I actually think US Jews should support the state of Israel. Especially considering their history - disloyal? That is a bit harsh. Where I think Omar was questioning their loyalty to the US because of their loyalty to Israel. Trump was not questioning the US Jews' loyalty to America.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I think the difference is that in the case of Israel, the muslims don't hate the secular country so much as the Jewish people. And the Jewish people here in the USA should have a loyalty to their own people even in foreign countries. So voting democrat is actually supporting attacks against the Jews in Israel.

Israel as a country is inextricably tied up with the Jewish religion and ethnicity.
              They also hate the idea of the state of Israel. For them if any land once had a Muslim flag hoisted on it then it is forever more Islamic territory. Many of them still are plenty pissed about the Reconquista in Spain that concluded over 500 years ago.

But then, maybe they should have considered the consequences of gleefully jumping into bed with Hitler.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                They also hate the idea of the state of Israel. For them if any land once had a Muslim flag hoisted on it then it is forever more Islamic territory. Many of them still are plenty pissed about the Reconquista in Spain that concluded over 500 years ago.

But then, maybe they should have considered the consequences of gleefully jumping into bed with Hitler.
                Their real problem is with the Jews. If the Jews changed the name to Palestine and stayed in power, they would hate that just as much as they do Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Their real problem is with the Jews. If the Jews changed the name to Palestine and stayed in power, they would hate that just as much as they do Israel.
                  As long as anyone other than Muslims controls the country they'll seek to destroy it.

But yeah they also hate the Jews even those who have no connection to Israel.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    I actually think US Jews should support the state of Israel. Especially considering their history - disloyal? That is a bit harsh. Where I think Omar was questioning their loyalty to the US because of their loyalty to Israel. Trump was not questioning the US Jews' loyalty to America.
                    This is the kind of response that I have in mind. I think the case for Omar being anti-Semitic isn't quite as strong as assumed, though there are other arguments used. I think the term anti-Semitic gets thrown around too quickly when people legitimately criticize the actions of the nation of Israel. But there is a case to be made that the contexts are different between the two quotes, yes.

Comment

She said quite a bit more than that.

Omar and Tlaib’s anti-Semitism is unquestionable. They have in recent weeks 1) peddled the anti-Semitic canard that Jews have dual loyalty to Israel 2) expressed support for the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement, 3) alleged that the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) bribes members of Congress, 4) Claimed that “Israel has hypnotized the world.” Statements from Omar and Tlaib on Israel are not labeled anti-Semitic because they are coming from Muslims, as Omar alleges. These statements are anti-Semitic because they are anti-Semitic.

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...isemitism.html
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The "dual loyalty" trope that Omar ran afoul of is not the same thing Trump is talking about. Omar's trope referred to loyalty to both governments, and choosing one or the other to support in a political instance at your leisure. Trump's comments referred to far left Democrats and their insistence that the US not provide ANY aid to Israel. Providing aid is not the same as having loyalty to a government.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

"Dual loyalty" in itself is not a bad thing because Christians all have loyalty to the kingdom of God among all else, right? I get that it's a bit trickier with the US and Israel because they're both more in the same category of being actual countries.
                          No. Our loyalty is to heaven alone, and only to other things if they line up with the Kingdom. Dual loyalty indicates that you can choose one over the other at your convenience.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            No. Our loyalty is to heaven alone, and only to other things if they line up with the Kingdom. Dual loyalty indicates that you can choose one over the other at your convenience.
                            This would probably mean that the pledge of allegiance is off limits to Christians, then.
                            Last edited by KingsGambit; 08-21-2019, 04:35 PM.

Comment

This would probably mean that the pledge of allegiance is off limits to Christians, then.
                              Not at all. The pledge doee not go counter to Christianity, and in fact shoes the subnordination of the US to God.
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment