Thread: Undercover Billionaire

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Undercover Billionaire

Anyone else watching this show?

Glenn Stearns has just 90 days to build a million-dollar business from scratch. With only $100 in his pocket, the self-made billionaire is determined to recreate his rags-to-riches success and prove the American Dream is still alive.
    https://www.discovery.com/shows/undercover-billionaire

I have watched the first 3 episodes.

PS - if you click on the link above you can also watch full episodes there.
    Last edited by Sparko; 08-22-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My mom has been watching it, she seems to like it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    My mom has been watching it, she seems to like it.
    He seems to have decided on a restaurant. That seems to be what a lot of immigrants from other countries do, starting their own business. Either a convenient type store, a restaurant, or a service (like laundry).

To me it seems like starting a restaurant in 90 days is a bit too much. I could see a food truck.

And I don't see how it would be worth $1 Million just starting out. He sure couldn't earn that much from selling BBQ and Beer in a few weeks.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    He seems to have decided on a restaurant. That seems to be what a lot of immigrants from other countries do, starting their own business. Either a convenient type store, a restaurant, or a service (like laundry).

To me it seems like starting a restaurant in 90 days is a bit too much. I could see a food truck.

And I don't see how it would be worth $1 Million just starting out. He sure couldn't earn that much from selling BBQ and Beer in a few weeks.
    If he gets good brand recognition and focuses on quality it is certainly possible after a while.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Glenn Stearns has just 90 days to build a million-dollar business from scratch. With only $100 in his pocket, the self-made billionaire is determined to recreate his rags-to-riches success and prove the American Dream is still alive.

Haven't seen the show. But unless they've taken extraordinary precautions he'll still be leveraging intangible advantages he has as a moneyed business man. Knowing who to talk to, relationships with banks and private money lenders, name and brand recognition, etc. Still, it's an interesting concept.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Is there a rule that says it has to be a legal business?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    Haven't seen the show. But unless they've taken extraordinary precautions he'll still be leveraging intangible advantages he has as a moneyed business man. Knowing who to talk to, relationships with banks and private money lenders, name and brand recognition, etc. Still, it's an interesting concept.
    Well he is openly using what he has learned about business and relationships to do this, but he is using that as "teaching moments" and advice to the viewer. That is part of how he is planning on winning the "bet" - but he is not using any contacts or relationships from his previous life. He was put in Erie, Penn with $100 and an old pickup truck and not knowing anyone in town, or letting anyone know who he is. He is telling them he is a regular guy in his 50s who has decided to leave the corporate world and starting his own business from scratch and the camera crew is filming a documentary about it.

I am guessing the camera crew does tend to effect the way people treat him, good or bad. Some people don't want to have anything to do with any documentary and others might actually treat him nicer because they want to be in the documentary.