Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Undercover Billionaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undercover Billionaire

Anyone else watching this show?

Glenn Stearns has just 90 days to build a million-dollar business from scratch. With only $100 in his pocket, the self-made billionaire is determined to recreate his rags-to-riches success and prove the American Dream is still alive.
    https://www.discovery.com/shows/undercover-billionaire

I have watched the first 3 episodes.

PS - if you click on the link above you can also watch full episodes there.
    Last edited by Sparko; 08-22-2019, 12:41 PM.

My mom has been watching it, she seems to like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      My mom has been watching it, she seems to like it.
      He seems to have decided on a restaurant. That seems to be what a lot of immigrants from other countries do, starting their own business. Either a convenient type store, a restaurant, or a service (like laundry).

To me it seems like starting a restaurant in 90 days is a bit too much. I could see a food truck.

And I don't see how it would be worth $1 Million just starting out. He sure couldn't earn that much from selling BBQ and Beer in a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        He seems to have decided on a restaurant. That seems to be what a lot of immigrants from other countries do, starting their own business. Either a convenient type store, a restaurant, or a service (like laundry).

To me it seems like starting a restaurant in 90 days is a bit too much. I could see a food truck.

And I don't see how it would be worth $1 Million just starting out. He sure couldn't earn that much from selling BBQ and Beer in a few weeks.
        If he gets good brand recognition and focuses on quality it is certainly possible after a while.
        sigpic

Comment

Glenn Stearns has just 90 days to build a million-dollar business from scratch. With only $100 in his pocket, the self-made billionaire is determined to recreate his rags-to-riches success and prove the American Dream is still alive.

Haven't seen the show. But unless they've taken extraordinary precautions he'll still be leveraging intangible advantages he has as a moneyed business man. Knowing who to talk to, relationships with banks and private money lenders, name and brand recognition, etc. Still, it's an interesting concept.
          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Is there a rule that says it has to be a legal business?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
              Haven't seen the show. But unless they've taken extraordinary precautions he'll still be leveraging intangible advantages he has as a moneyed business man. Knowing who to talk to, relationships with banks and private money lenders, name and brand recognition, etc. Still, it's an interesting concept.
              Well he is openly using what he has learned about business and relationships to do this, but he is using that as "teaching moments" and advice to the viewer. That is part of how he is planning on winning the "bet" - but he is not using any contacts or relationships from his previous life. He was put in Erie, Penn with $100 and an old pickup truck and not knowing anyone in town, or letting anyone know who he is. He is telling them he is a regular guy in his 50s who has decided to leave the corporate world and starting his own business from scratch and the camera crew is filming a documentary about it.

I am guessing the camera crew does tend to effect the way people treat him, good or bad. Some people don't want to have anything to do with any documentary and others might actually treat him nicer because they want to be in the documentary.

Comment