Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump proclaims himself 'the chosen one' and tweets claims he is 'the messiah'

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I honestly disagree with your assessment of what the tweet represented. Do you really think Trump was retweeting it out of gratitude as opposed to just bragging? If somebody says something nice to you, it's appropriate to thank them, not rebroadcast the exact wording of what was said to the entire world over multiple tweets. (Not to mention there are scores of people online willing to praise Trump all day long just like this Root guy; do they all need to be equally responded to?)
    So what if he was? I mean, there's no reason to always assume the worst - but even if so, Trump bragging is news how, exactly? The quote seems to boil down to 'this president is a good friend to Israel' - how is this news?

I sent a thank you card along with a payment recently and the company I sent it to posted it on social media and thanked me. Now, I'm not going to repost it - but I did thank them.

Maybe Trump was bragging but definitely he was thanking someone for saying something nice. So no, I don't see the problem.

Then again, I don't see the point in getting upset every time Trump hits 'send'.

2. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Interestingly, Christy denies the hug happened...

Moving on to Obama, Christie acknowledged that the supposed hug featured prominently in an attack ad aired by Conservative Solutions PAC, the super PAC backing Florida Sen. Marco Rubio.

“A hug with the president,” Christie said. Yeah, no, I’ve got to tell you, I can’t disappoint you all enough, I didn’t hug him. And as you all have learned in New Hampshire, I hug everybody. So it was a disappointment probably for him that I didn’t hug him.”

Christie acknowledged that he had shook Obama’s hand. “When he got off Air Force One, I did shake his hand, which I’ll tell you what, civilized human beings do with other civilized human beings,” he said.

Attachment 39265 Attachment 39266 Attachment 39267
    I don't honestly remember anything about a hug - just that Christy had thanked him and shook his hand.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    I see Trump as the Republican equivalent of Obama. I think they are both thin skinned arrogant jerks.
    And with massive (and I do mean yuuuge!) egos to boot

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

5. Amen NorrinRadd, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But Obama could be slightly more adult about it.
    Perhaps because he wasn't under 24/7 assault? And to his credit at least Trump hasn't sicced the IRS on anyone who got under his skin -- at least yet.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

7. Amen Teallaura, NorrinRadd, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Wow - hook, line, and sinker.

I really wish Trump would quit doing stuff like this, but the response is why he keeps doing it.
    Do you really think he is not certifiably insane?
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't think he is "just kidding" - I think he's purposely being a pompous ass because it's so easy to rile up his enemies.
    And perhaps because he understands that quite many, perhaps most, of those who call themselves Christians and support him do not care about his blasphemy. They have gotten used to accepting and explaining stuff like this and seemingly they are happy with blasphemy if only their enemies are provoked by it.
    "This is why in my debates with atheists and agnostics I always try to treat them with charity and civility and not engage in name-calling or insults or even just interruptions. I think that is uncivil discourse." - Dr. William Lane Craig.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It gets really old when the only defense anybody has to anything about Trump is to pull out a tu quoque about Obama that isn't even applicable. Obama was arrogant but his statements did not have the specific religious context. The term "chosen one" is often used in a flippant way, like its being a nickname of LeBron James.
    Not only is this old and predictable. It is also a complete misunderstanding of what it means to discuss right or wrong. At least if you believe in absolute standards. It can be used for political gain in the short run. But in doing so one is selling one's fundamental values. Quite a price to pay.
    "This is why in my debates with atheists and agnostics I always try to treat them with charity and civility and not engage in name-calling or insults or even just interruptions. I think that is uncivil discourse." - Dr. William Lane Craig.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It gets really old when the only defense anybody has to anything about Trump is to pull out a tu quoque about Obama that isn't even applicable. Obama was arrogant but his statements did not have the specific religious context. The term "chosen one" is often used in a flippant way, like its being a nickname of LeBron James.

I'm not going to link because of paywall, but Texas evangelist Jay Lowder had an op-ed in the Washington Post comparing this case to Herod being killed by an angel because he did not demur when somebody proclaimed him to be a god. He thinks that should be a warning in cases like this.

(The part of me that is open to futurism thinks Trump obviously doesn't meet the criteria to be the antichrist, though.)
    I have found this one by Jay Lowder that I think could be the same as the one behind the pay wall: I’m an evangelist and a Trump voter, but blasphemy is a step too far

Interesting points:

The silence from my fellow evangelical colleagues, ministry partners and friends that has followed is deafening. Many of them refuse to call out moral failures on the right that they have so vehemently attacked on the left.
    In the evangelical community, we have come to believe incorrectly that any critique of Trump only serves to promote the party on the left. But embracing critiques proves we are objective, not blind to the flaws in political parties or our presidents.

Trump is neither the “Second Coming of God” nor the “Messiah.”
    Christians cannot proclaim their morals, family values and faith, then sit down when such values are tainted and misrepresented by the very leaders we say we support.
    As a full-time evangelist traveling all over the United States, I find it increasingly obvious that many people legitimately see evangelicals as hypocrites.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Do you really think he is not certifiably insane?
    No more than he is a traitor as you assured us he was.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He left that to his wife Michelle while he himself proclaimed that the entire planet itself was reacting positively to his merely winning the Democratic Party's nomination (that "this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal.").

And if you look at the link you'll see that his being likened to God and being declared to being greater than Jesus wasn't done in a "flippant" manner but often in a worshipful one.

14. Amen NorrinRadd, Cerebrum123, Cow Poke amen'd this post.