Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump proclaims himself 'the chosen one' and tweets claims he is 'the messiah'

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    AFAIK, Obama never accepted the moniker or called direct attention to it himself.
    He just referred to himself dozens of times in his own speeches, even when he was giving a stump speech for another candidate.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It gets really old when the only defense anybody has to anything about Trump is to pull out a tu quoque about Obama that isn't even applicable. Obama was arrogant but his statements did not have the specific religious context. The term "chosen one" is often used in a flippant way, like its being a nickname of LeBron James.

I'm not going to link because of paywall, but Texas evangelist Jay Lowder had an op-ed in the Washington Post comparing this case to Herod being killed by an angel because he did not demur when somebody proclaimed him to be a god. He thinks that should be a warning in cases like this.

(The part of me that is open to futurism thinks Trump obviously doesn't meet the criteria to be the antichrist, though.)
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

3. Amen Charles, Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    It gets really old when the only defense anybody has to anything about Trump is to pull out a tu quoque about Obama that isn't even applicable. Obama was arrogant but his statements did not have the specific religious context.

I'm not going to link because of paywall, but Texas evangelist Jay Lowder had an op-ed in the Washington Post comparing this case to Herod being killed by an angel because he did not demur when somebody proclaimed him to be a god. He thinks that should be a warning in cases like this.

(The part of me that is open to futurism thinks Trump obviously doesn't meet the criteria to be the antichrist, though.)
    I'm just amazed that so many people allow Trump to live rent-free in their heads. He lives for that!
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

5. Amen NorrinRadd, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And you wonder why you don't have friends.
    Can't take a little teasing CP?

Jim
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Do you think Trump is the antichrist/beast described in Revelation?
    The antichrist is supposed to win over nearly the entire population. A quick look at Trump's approval rating would rule that out.

Also, Daniel 11:37 is often thought to refer to the antichrist, and says the figure will have no regard for the love of women. If this is correct in referring to the antichrist (which I'm not sure of), it would mean he is either asexual or gay.
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Can't take a little teasing CP?

Jim
    Perhaps if there were any indication you were teasing....
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

9. Amen Mountain Man, NorrinRadd, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm just amazed that so many people allow Trump to live rent-free in their heads. He lives for that!
    Lowder's op-ed says his evangelism across the country has been hurt because college students are pointing to hypocrisy of Christians in putting up with this and he just doesn't have an answer.

I can ignore a lot of things but I'm not going to ignore somebody making blasphemous religious statements. I'm kind of sad that a theology forum doesn't seem particularly bothered by this.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Lowder's op-ed says his evangelism across the country has been hurt because college students are pointing to hypocrisy of Christians in putting up with this and he just doesn't have an answer.

I can ignore a lot of things but I'm not going to ignore somebody making blasphemous religious statements. I'm kind of sad that a theology forum doesn't seem particularly bothered by this.
    Christians have always been hypocritical to one extent or another. If an evangelist doesn't have an answer for that, then he's not much of an evangelist.

And in this case, it would only be blasphemy, I think, if Trump genuinely believed it, but he clearly meant it as a joke. Unlike Herod, I doubt he really believes he's a deity.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

12. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I reject Trump reposting someone's else's tweet calling him the King of Israel.

I hope everyone is happy now.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    And in this case, it would only be blasphemy, I think, if Trump genuinely believed it, but he clearly meant it as a joke. Unlike Herod, I doubt he really believes he's a deity.
    There are some things Christians shouldn't joke about. I wouldn't joke about being a god. I became visually uncomfortable when somebody said something like that about me once, even though it was lighthearted. Since Trump professes to be a Christian, it matters.