Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump proclaims himself 'the chosen one' and tweets claims he is 'the messiah'

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I really don't like it...obviously trolling behavior from the president is childish and irresponsible and I wish he would just shut up. I don't think he literally believes himself to be a messiah figure.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

2. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Christians have always been hypocritical to one extent or another. If an evangelist doesn't have an answer for that, then he's not much of an evangelist.

And in this case, it would only be blasphemy, I think, if Trump genuinely believed it, but he clearly meant it as a joke. Unlike Herod, I doubt he really believes he's a deity.
    Trump has been to the national prayer breakfast. He is simply repeating what he has been told by The Family.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Can't take a little teasing CP?

Jim
    Obviously no more than you can regarding my facetious comments.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    Trump has been to the national prayer breakfast. He is simply repeating what he has been told by The Family.
    Not sure if you're being serious, but the National Prayer Breakfast is not a haven for obvious heresy (which it would be if Trump was actually serious).
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Here is the tweet everyone is talking about, for reference:

ScreenHunter_.jpg

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...38795475881986

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    It gets really old when the only defense anybody has to anything about Trump is to pull out a tu quoque about Obama that isn't even applicable. Obama was arrogant but his statements did not have the specific religious context. The term "chosen one" is often used in a flippant way, like its being a nickname of LeBron James.

I'm not going to link because of paywall, but Texas evangelist Jay Lowder had an op-ed in the Washington Post comparing this case to Herod being killed by an angel because he did not demur when somebody proclaimed him to be a god. He thinks that should be a warning in cases like this.

(The part of me that is open to futurism thinks Trump obviously doesn't meet the criteria to be the antichrist, though.)
    My biggest concern is not spiritual (let him deal with that himself), my concern is political. This could potentially backfire in an extraordinary way (everyone loves to see a braggart get his comeuppance), and if it does, it'll be a black-eye to conservatives and will set us way back, so I'm hoping with all the hope I have that the illusionary economy maintains itself until at least 2020.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    My biggest concern is not spiritual (let him deal with that himself), my concern is political. This could potentially backfire in an extraordinary way (everyone loves to see a braggart get his comeuppance), and if it does, it'll be a black-eye to conservatives and will set us way back, so I'm hoping with all the hope I have that the illusionary economy maintains itself until at least 2020.
    I don't think it's going to hurt him politically. There is literally nothing he can do at this point in time to lose the bulk of the base he has.

Even the evangelist who wrote the WaPo op-ed excoriating him for this admitted he was a Trump voter and didn't say anything about changing that.
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I don't think it's going to hurt him politically. There is literally nothing he can do at this point in time to lose the bulk of the base he has.

Even the evangelist who wrote the WaPo op-ed excoriating him for this admitted he was a Trump voter and didn't say anything about changing that.
    I disagree. Yes, the relentless TDS attacks from the left from the beginning have kept a lot of his base rallying around him for that reason. But I'm guessing, unless you spend time in other social media venues, that here you're only seeing the opinions of a small niche pro-Trump group. A lot of his base is turning on him for a lot of things, but primarily his BSing about the strength of the economy and what the data represents (which is an abrupt about face from his truthfulness about the economy during the election).
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    But I'm guessing, unless you spend time in other social media venues, that here you're only seeing the opinions of a small niche pro-Trump group.
    It's certainly more than here. One acquaintance of mine rationalizes anything negative by calling it a false flag or fake news, so almost by definition, nothing reported can hurt him.

His support on Reddit hasn't waned; if anything, it seems to have solidified over time.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."