Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump proclaims himself 'the chosen one' and tweets claims he is 'the messiah'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I don't think he is "just kidding" - I think he's purposely being a pompous ass because it's so easy to rile up his enemies.
    And perhaps because he understands that quite many, perhaps most, of those who call themselves Christians and support him do not care about his blasphemy. They have gotten used to accepting and explaining stuff like this and seemingly they are happy with blasphemy if only their enemies are provoked by it.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      It gets really old when the only defense anybody has to anything about Trump is to pull out a tu quoque about Obama that isn't even applicable. Obama was arrogant but his statements did not have the specific religious context. The term "chosen one" is often used in a flippant way, like its being a nickname of LeBron James.
      Not only is this old and predictable. It is also a complete misunderstanding of what it means to discuss right or wrong. At least if you believe in absolute standards. It can be used for political gain in the short run. But in doing so one is selling one's fundamental values. Quite a price to pay.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

It gets really old when the only defense anybody has to anything about Trump is to pull out a tu quoque about Obama that isn't even applicable. Obama was arrogant but his statements did not have the specific religious context. The term "chosen one" is often used in a flippant way, like its being a nickname of LeBron James.

I'm not going to link because of paywall, but Texas evangelist Jay Lowder had an op-ed in the Washington Post comparing this case to Herod being killed by an angel because he did not demur when somebody proclaimed him to be a god. He thinks that should be a warning in cases like this.

(The part of me that is open to futurism thinks Trump obviously doesn't meet the criteria to be the antichrist, though.)
        I have found this one by Jay Lowder that I think could be the same as the one behind the pay wall: I’m an evangelist and a Trump voter, but blasphemy is a step too far

Interesting points:

The silence from my fellow evangelical colleagues, ministry partners and friends that has followed is deafening. Many of them refuse to call out moral failures on the right that they have so vehemently attacked on the left.
        In the evangelical community, we have come to believe incorrectly that any critique of Trump only serves to promote the party on the left. But embracing critiques proves we are objective, not blind to the flaws in political parties or our presidents.

Trump is neither the “Second Coming of God” nor the “Messiah.”
        Christians cannot proclaim their morals, family values and faith, then sit down when such values are tainted and misrepresented by the very leaders we say we support.
        As a full-time evangelist traveling all over the United States, I find it increasingly obvious that many people legitimately see evangelicals as hypocrites.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Do you really think he is not certifiably insane?
          No more than he is a traitor as you assured us he was.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

He left that to his wife Michelle while he himself proclaimed that the entire planet itself was reacting positively to his merely winning the Democratic Party's nomination (that "this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal.").

And if you look at the link you'll see that his being likened to God and being declared to being greater than Jesus wasn't done in a "flippant" manner but often in a worshipful one.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              He left that to his wife Michelle while he himself proclaimed that the entire planet itself was reacting positively to his merely winning the Democratic Party's nomination (that "this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal.").

And if you look at the link you'll see that his being likened to God and being declared to being greater than Jesus wasn't done in a "flippant" manner but often in a worshipful one.
              To interpret that in the same sort of religious messiah like tone as what trump did has no logical basis. Obsma is referring to the fact that republican politics tends to prefer cash at the expense of the envirinment, to the point they promote pseudo-scienxe to try to silence concern over global warming. He is saying they will, unlike his predecessor, try to do something about it. Furthe, he is talking about what his administration will do, not who he is and what his religious place in the universe is.

As over the top as obamas statement is. It is dwarfed by Trumps ckaim.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                To interpret that in the same sort of religious messiah like tone as what trump did has no logical basis. Obsma is referring to the fact that republican politics tends to prefer cash at the expense of the envirinment, to the point they promote pseudo-scienxe to try to silence concern over global warming. He is saying they will, unlike his predecessor, try to do something about it. Furthe, he is talking about what his administration will do, not who he is and what his religious place in the universe is.

As over the top as obamas statement is. It is dwarfed by Trumps ckaim.

Jim
                That's quite some spin there. A top would be jealous.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation!

As far as C goes, I think the two issues are intertwined. China has a lot more abortions than the US will ever have (some of them forced, I believe), and they're actively trying to wipe out Christianity. So I would like somebody to maintain American strength against China. Of course, that's a lot vaguer than the Supreme Court issue, which is a lot more straightforward. But I'm just saying this to explain why I personally do consider foreign policy among other factors.
                  Then why would you not favor the only POTUS in decades who has actually taken overt actions to oppose China? His actions may well kick our economy in the 'nads -- definitely scaring the Wall Street pansies -- but *something* forceful needed to be done.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                    I see Trump as the Republican equivalent of Obama. I think they are both thin skinned arrogant jerks.
                    I see a difference that matters to me: Trump seems aware of his arrogance, and has fun with it.
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Chris Christy - Gov of NJ, if memory serves. Obama did something ... and I really should remember what but don't - and Christy thanked him publicly for it.

About a week before midterms...
                      The Superstorm Sandy stuff.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        I don't honestly remember anything about a hug - just that Christy had thanked him and shook his hand.
                        Some people made a big deal of the "hug."

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                          I have found this one by Jay Lowder that I think could be the same as the one behind the pay wall: I’m an evangelist and a Trump voter, but blasphemy is a step too far

Interesting points:
                          I have not read the article yet. I can say quite readily that I never heard of that guy, and I don't give a flying fart about any of those quotes.

Edit -- Ok, I've read the article and my opinion has not changed, except that having read the whole thing, I think even less of Lowdermouth than before.
                          Last edited by NorrinRadd; 08-24-2019, 06:43 AM.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

I have hopes that somebody at the last moment will try to primary Trump, but there's zero chance any of it will succeed unless Trump gets caught on a hot mic using the n word 15 times. So far we have Bill Weld (libertarian VP candidate, extreme social liberal), Mark Sanford (who abandoned his governor duties to disappear on an extramarital affair), and Joe Walsh (who has the same temperament issues as Trump and suddenly is trying to act "normal" in time to run). John Kasich would be most preferred but it's an extreme long shot.

Biden seems like the one known quantity so I'd like to see him get the nomination regardless.
                            I was not a Trumper in the primaries for 2016. I preferred Lyin' Ted and Carly "Look at that face!" Fiorina, and pretty much despised The Chosen One. Voting for him in the general was a difficult last-minute decision. But I am SO glad I did, and that he won! I don't think any of the others would have done a better job with the SCOTUS and other courts, and I don't think any would have done as well with the economy, with fighting PP, with killing the "individual mandate" and at least giving Obamacare a good knee-capping. I find his "crap cannon" aspect only occasionally troubling. Even if someone *did* "primary" him, I would not vote against him unless he did something blue-dress-defiling egregious by then.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              That's quite some spin there. A top would be jealous.
                              Obama is talking about what his administration hopes to accomplish. Trump is talking about who he is. To characterize that difference as 'spin' also has no logical basis.

Jim
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                                Then why would you not favor the only POTUS in decades who has actually taken overt actions to oppose China? His actions may well kick our economy in the 'nads -- definitely scaring the Wall Street pansies -- but *something* forceful needed to be done.
                                neither we nor the world needs an escalating feud between the US and China, one that has the potential to blossom into a war. Being firm was needed. A full scale brawl that could easily turn into something worse is negligent and irresponsible.

Jim

Comment