Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump proclaims himself 'the chosen one' and tweets claims he is 'the messiah'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think that's the point -- when Obama spoke in terms that could remotely be considered "Messianic", the media and celebrities fell all over themselves in near worship.

When Trump uses a phrase indicating he's the "chose one" to deal with a specific problem, they're ready to drag him outside the gates and stone him.
    I'm not hip to news media, but the websites that rogue is citing these "lights coming down" bits from don't sound at all messianic. They sound very hostile to Obama. It seems to me to be the same left/right nitpicks in order to score cheap rhetorical points that is the norm in politics. And depending on the administration, people are both going to either adore or despise the president. Though I do think that this particular president has deepened that divide.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      I take it as him saying that his ideas are right and good, but it is up to him to express them in a way that helps others to realize it. But he uses language that can imply God or heaven itself is the one opening the eyes of the person to help them see that his ideas are true. So he is clearly seeing himself as a messenger of absolute truth, and I can see that would be very concerning to those that don't see his message that way.
      I mean, I still have to hear it in context, but I think it's pushing it to suggest that Obama is using language to directly imply God or heaven. I mean, in a round about way, maybe, but I'm pretty certain these last two presidents aren't very religious. They're not using religious language because they think there's anything sacred in it. It's religious language secularized by the age and used with poetic license. Obama's use of "light coming down" is something that wouldn't at all be out of place in a room with a charismatic teacher or marketing exec as they're attempting to convince/sell their audience on expected returns. Or better yet, it sounds exactly like the sort of speech you'd expect a charismatic lawyer in a movie or TV show to tell the jury in his opening statements (which makes perfect sense for a guy who went to law school).

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      But its still at least a few steps down from embracing and internalizing the idea one is 'the chosen one'. And Obama in general is approaching all of these things as a group effort, with himself occupying more of a civil servant role in implementing these things, as opposed to Trump's view of himself as THE implementer and mover, a king like point of view.

One can also argue for each it is figurative language and does not reflect actual beliefs about themselves, but no matter how you slice it, Trump takes it farther. And Trump discards all the baggage of it being some sort of group effort, always edging more and more towards a supreme ruler conceptualization of the presidency.
      This isn't intended as a defense of Trump, but the guy made a living by self promotion. He is his own brand. He is what he sold investors for decades. So it doesn't surprise me in the least that a man who has made a living on selling the name "TRUMP" isn't super interested in sharing the glory.

Comment

Im done with you in this thread. This is getting personal, and i will not go there anymore.

Jim
        Thank you.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          The MSM were some of the biggest supporters of his being some sort of Messiah
          Links please.

When even Snopes calls B.S. on the Trump calling himself the "chosen one" being a serious statement and not done "tongue-in-cheek" (their description) even you should pay attention.
          He wanted to believe it. Otherwise why would he quote a nutty radio host, who claimed Jewish people admired the U.S. president so greatly that it was as though Trump were the King of Israel. Or that he was the second coming of Christ? The obvious thing would have been to ignore such nonsense or overtly dismiss it for the crap that it was.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            Links please.
            http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post663764

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• That must be why Obama's approval ratings were consistently higher than Trump's.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

That must be why Obama's approval ratings were consistently higher than Trump's.
                I guess that's your bizarre and twisted way of admitting that the MSM did see Obama as being the Obamessiah

And, as usual, you are wrong. There have been several times that Trump's approval ratings were higher than Obama's at the same time period of their presidencies -- most notably around the time that Obamacare was being pushed through. And that's quite a feat considering how the MSM acted as a Praetorian Guard for Obama, screening out any and all criticism (proclaiming that any disagreements over policy was racist) and heaping lavish praise on him in comparison to the 24/7 attacks on any and everything Trump does.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  I'd like to see those comments taken into context in a speech. "A light coming down" phrasing doesn't strike me as especially Messianic. It's not much different than saying something like, "a light bulb will go on above your head."
                  His choice of linking it to the term "epiphany" seems mighty telling. Even liberal sources like Slate referred to it as "Obama’s Cocky Messianism" And look at the CNN transcript of a video if you want more context
                  Last edited by rogue06; 08-25-2019, 06:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I guess that's your bizarre and twisted way of admitting that the MSM did see Obama as being the Obamessiah
                    Leaving aside your standard tu quoque logical fallacy (but, but, but, whatabout Obama/Hillary) Trump is the president with the lowest average approval rating of all U.S. presidents of all time. “Although Trump’s approval rating hasn’t dipped lower than past U.S. presidents, he is also the first to never have an approval rating exceed 50%”.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachels.../#56751ec513f8

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                      Leaving aside your standard tu quoque logical fallacy (but, but, but, whatabout Obama/Hillary) Trump is the president with the lowest average approval rating of all U.S. presidents of all time. “Although Trump’s approval rating hasn’t dipped lower than past U.S. presidents, he is also the first to never have an approval rating exceed 50%”.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachels.../#56751ec513f8
                      Which is pretty impressive when you consider the extreme measures the media has taken to suppress President Trump's popularity as much as they possibly can. One wonders how high his approval rating would be if they spent more time covering his many considerable accomplishments, or even gave him the same fawning 24/7 praise they lavished on Obama!
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Which is pretty impressive when you consider the extreme measures the media has taken to suppress President Trump's popularity as much as they possibly can. One wonders how high his approval rating would be if they spent more time covering his many considerable accomplishments, or even gave him the same fawning 24/7 praise they lavished on Obama!
                        I thought about this as well MM. this is one of those where it is not at all clear who or what is driving the cart.Trump is so over the top, and in many cases so obscene that he is going to get more negstive publicity than any other president. Yet reporting these ridiculous things in the news is going to make those people not completely committed to the man less happy with him.

So is it Trump, or is it reporting what Trump does, or is it media bias over emphasising the negative things trump does? Does the media over emphasize what trump does, or is he so over the top that it only feels like that , especially to those that are blind to the deep outrage his excess evokes in those not inclined to dismiss or excuse it.

Jim
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

So is it Trump, or is it reporting what Trump does, or is it media bias over emphasising the negative things trump does?
                          Yes.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Which is pretty impressive when you consider the extreme measures the media has taken to suppress President Trump's popularity as much as they possibly can.
                              Really. You're easily fooled.

One wonders how high his approval rating would be if they spent more time covering his many considerable accomplishments, or even gave him the same fawning 24/7 praise they lavished on Obama
                              The Murdoch's and the Mercer's, vis-a-vis Fox and Breitbart et al, more than take up the slack...as the 'bitter and twisted' Trump supporters perceive it to be...when it comes to "fawning" over Trump.

Comment

The Murdoch's and the Mercer's, vis-a-vis Fox and Breitbart et al, more than take up the slack
                                Ah yes. A bucket of water is equivalent to an ocean

Comment