Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump proclaims himself 'the chosen one' and tweets claims he is 'the messiah'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    He left that to his wife Michelle while he himself proclaimed that the entire planet itself was reacting positively to his merely winning the Democratic Party's nomination (that "this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal.").

And if you look at the link you'll see that his being likened to God and being declared to being greater than Jesus wasn't done in a "flippant" manner but often in a worshipful one.
    Source: Obama nomination speech

The journey will be difficult. The road will be long. I face this challenge -- I face this challenge with profound humility and knowledge of my own limitations, but I also face it with limitless faith in the capacity of the American people.

Because if we are willing to work for it, and fight for it, and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that, generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless...

(APPLAUSE)

... this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal...

(APPLAUSE)

© Copyright Original Source

Reading what Obama said in full, I am a bit disgusted in the fact you've tried to characterize what is a hopeful, positive speech in such base and degrading terms.

He is not characterizing himself in proud terms. He is talking about his hope for what the ideas he stands for can accomplish in the world. He begins the list of his hopes for what can be accomplished with a recognition of the fact he can not do it alone, that he is limited, and the task is daunting.

But this is his hope and belief in what is possible as the people that support him work together for good things in the world.

There is no comparison between this and the destructive, hostile, me-centric rhetoric of Donald Trump. And there is NO comparison between what Obama was saying then and Trump's proclamation of himself now as 'the chosen one'

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Time to update it a bit with some more quotes and images
      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Apparently it is yet again time to remind folks just how much adoring veneration and reverence was given to Obama by his supporters.
      • Like when Newsweek editor Evan Thomas was doing when he declared on MSNBC's "Hardball" to host Chris Matthews (who notoriously once said that he felt a “thrill up his leg” after saying "This is bigger than Kennedy. ... This is the New Testament," while covering then-Senator Barack Obama): "I mean in a way Obama’s standing above the country, above – above the world, he’s sort of God." Sort of God.

• And when Ezra Klein gushed about Obama in The American Prospect that,

"He is not the Word made flesh, but the triumph of word over flesh, over color, over despair. The other great leaders I’ve heard guide us towards a better politics, but Obama is, at his best, able to call us back to our highest selves, to the place where America exists as a glittering ideal, and where we, its honored inhabitants, seem capable of achieving it, and thus of sharing in its meaning and transcendence.

• And of course there's when Mark Morford, columnist and culture critic for the San Francisco Chronicle and SFGate.com, proclaimed that Obama "isn’t really one of us" and how

"many spiritually advanced people I know (not coweringly religious, mind you, but deeply spiritual) identify Obama as a Lightworker, that rare kind of attuned being who has the ability to lead us not merely to new foreign policies or health care plans or whatnot, but who can actually help usher in a new way of being on the planet, of relating and connecting and engaging with this bizarre earthly experiment. These kinds of people actually help us evolve. They are philosophers and peacemakers of a very high order, and they speak not just to reason or emotion, but to the soul."

• Charlie Rangel (D-NY) would go to churches in his Congressional district in Harlem declaring that "God sent us Barack Obama."

• In her The Gospel According to Apostle Barack, released right before the 2012 election , Florida A&M professor Barbara A. Thompson equates Barack Obama to Jesus, and proclaims that his God-given mission is to bring "heaven on earth."

• Or how in a September, 2008 opinion essay in the Smith College Sophian titled "I Will Follow Him: Obama As My Personal Jesus," associate editor Maggie Mertens proclaimed "Obama is my Jesus." She went on to say
        While you may be overtly religious and find this to be idol-worshipping, or may be overtly politically correct and just know that everything in that sentence could be found offensive, I'm afraid it's true anyway.

She went on to say she was in the "middle of a bleak, hopeless period of my life" but then
        Then I found my miracle. Stumbling through my hopeless world, afraid to turn to anyone with my political questions of morality, my concerns about the afterlife of the country I called home, a voice spoke to me. Barack Obama bore to me his testimony...

She continued writing about how "I came to Jesus/Obama" and concluded
        I've officially been saved, and soon, whether they like it or not, the rest of the country will be too. I will follow him, all the way to the White House, and I'll be standing there in our nation's capital in January 2009, when Barack Obama is inaugurated as the 44th president of the United States of America. In the name of Obama, Amen.

• Or how on November 25th, 2012 at the Soul Train Awards program, televised worldwide on the BET network, Jamie Foxx whipped up the large crowd attending the event to a hand-waving, jumping-up-and-down frenzy by shouting, "First of all, give an honor to God and our Lord and Savior Barack Obama! Barack Obama!"

• Or how Denmark's oldest largest newspaper Politiken on December 28, 2009 ran an editorial titled "Obama Greater Than Jesus: The U.S. president - the practical saviour of our times" It said, "He comes from humble beginnings and defends the weak and vulnerable, because he can identify himself with their conditions. And no we are not thinking of Jesus Christ, whose birthday has just been celebrated - but rather the President of the United States Barack Hussein Obama."

The newspaper stated that if a comparison were to be made between Jesus and Obama, "it would, of course, inevitably be to Obama's advantage." And this: "Obama is, of course, greater than Jesus - if we have to play that absurd Christmas game."

• Or how Nation of Islam's Louis Farrahkan proclaimed Obama was the Messiah

"You are the instruments that God is going to use to bring about universal change, and that is why Barack has captured the youth. And he has involved young people in a political process that they didn't care anything about. That's a sign. When the Messiah speaks, the youth will hear, and the Messiah is absolutely speaking."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39282[/ATTACH]
        Notice what's attached to the podium

• And let's not forget Barbara Walters saying how "they" thought Obama was the Messiah

A poster that was sold at the Democratic National Convention in 2012 displayed the head of Obama, which faded into a graphic of an open Bible with the headline "Prophecy Fulfilled."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39283[/ATTACH]

To mark Obama’s 100th day of presidency, artist Michael D'Antuono unveiled a painting that he had crafted called "The Truth" which depicted Obama in the oval office wearing a crown of thorns and raising his arms as if on the cross.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39284[/ATTACH]

Depictions like this were hardly uncommon. Here is another called "The Hope can be a Cross" from noted artist and fashion designer Angelo Cruciani and displayed at Milan's trendy Galleria Voghera 11:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39285[/ATTACH]

And a couple covers from Newsweek:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39218[/ATTACH]
      God of all things

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39219[/ATTACH]
      Second Coming

The fact is, the above exemplified the attitude that a substantial portion of his supporters believed. As Michelle Obama put it, "We have an amazing story to tell. This president has brought us out of the dark and into the light" (Matthew 4:16; cf. Micah 7:8)

And of course Obama himself intoned that the earth itself was reacting positively to his merely winning the Democrat Party's nomination (that "this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal.") so profound was his presence. Moreover he was fond of declaring that "a light will shine through that window, a beam of light will come down upon you, you will experience an epiphany and you will suddenly realize that you must go to the polls and vote for Obama" like he did at the Lebanon Opera House, New Hampshire in 2008.

And speaking of lights shining down from on high and resulting in epiphanies... Jonathan Alter the self-described liberal/progressive journalist, columnist and senior editor for Newsweek magazine for nearly 30 years and a mainstay at NBC for over 20 years related the following in his 2010 book The Promise: President Obama, Year One:

Rabbi David Saperstein, reading from Psalms in English and Hebrew, noticed from the altar that the good men and women of the congregation that day, including the Bidens and other dignitaries, had not yet stood. Finally Bishop Vashti McKenzie of the African Methodist Church asked that everyone rise. At that moment Saperstein saw something from his angle of vision: "If I had seen it in a movie I would have groaned and said, 'Give me a break. That's so trite.'" A beam of morning light shown [sic] through the stained-glass windows and illuminated the president-elect's face. Several of the clergy and choir on the altar who also saw it marveled afterward about the presence of the Divine.

Finally, there is the 2002 song "American Prayer" written by Bono of U2 and Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics that the latter did a version dedicated to Obama featuring a slew of celebutards like Forest Whitaker, Jason Alexander, Whoopi Goldberg, Margaret Cho and Joan Baez.

Attached Files
      Last edited by rogue06; 08-24-2019, 08:50 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Do you really think he is not certifiably insane?
        Yes. You, on the other hand....
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          Obama is talking about what his administration hopes to accomplish. Trump is talking about who he is. To characterize that difference as 'spin' also has no logical basis.

Jim
          Nope. He was talking about what was then already taking place -- how the planet itself responded to his nomination -- not what will take place.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
            Some people made a big deal of the "hug."
            Yeah, it was a bit of an exaggeration, but Christy did seem warm and fuzzy to have Obama there. Personally, it didn't seem all that big a deal to me, because Christy was being welcoming of the help and focus of the federal government coming in. Politically, the timing was just awkward.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Nope. He was talking about what was then already taking place -- how the planet itself responded to his nomination -- not what will take place.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39286[/ATTACH]
              Yes, because he was specifically talking about what future generations would look back and see.... that THIS was the day.... and if you look at the video, his speech at that point was like a televangelist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Yeah, it was a bit of an exaggeration, but Christy did seem warm and fuzzy to have Obama there. Personally, it didn't seem all that big a deal to me, because Christy was being welcoming of the help and focus of the federal government coming in. Politically, the timing was just awkward.
                The prodder of bovines is not completely wrong

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39286[/ATTACH]
                  No, he wasn't. He was talking about the action he would try to take against global warming as a contrast to the irresponsible dimissal of the problem by his opponents, and to characterize it as anything else is frankly absued.

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

No, he wasn't. He was talking about the action he would try to take against global warming as a contrast to the irresponsible dimissal of the problem by his opponents, and to characterize it as anything else is frankly absued.

Jim
                    facepalm3.gif

What part of "this is the day" are you having trouble with?

Comment

Jim
                      Have you actually watched the video, Jim?

Comment

Jim
                        And it's equally "absued" to assert that Trump has proclaimed himself the Messiah.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39293[/ATTACH]

What part of "this is the day" are you having trouble with?
                          Nothing. It is simply a figure of speech that refers to the beginning of the process he and his administration will put in place. There is nothing complicated or hard here and you are simply taking the words out of context and twisting them. I gave you sufficient context in the other post. In that context it's as obvious as the nose on your face exactly what he means.

Jim

Comment

Nothing. It is simply a figure of speech that refers to the beginning of the process he and his administration will put in place. There is nothing complicated or hard here and you are simply taking the words out of context and twisting them. I gave you sufficient context in the other post. In that context it's as obvious as the nose on your face exactly what he means.

Jim
                            00000000000000a00aa2.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              And it's equally "absued" to assert that Trump has proclaimed himself the Messiah.
                              And I did not say Trump proclaimed himself the Messiah. Are your debate skills so poor that you can't frame your debates around what was actually said?

Jim

Comment

And I did not say Trump proclaimed himself the Messiah. Are your debate skills so poor that you can't frame your debates around what was actually said?

Jim
                                Yeah he just like to tell folks that because of him a how a light would shine down upon them and they would have an epiphany.

Comment