Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What Would You Teach About Angels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Off the top of my head --

-- I'm not aware of female angels anywhere in Scripture.

-- Cherubs don't look like little Cupids. (Assuming cherubs are a variety of angel.)

-- I'm not aware of any place in Scripture where angels sing. (Explicitly, at least; some sources include "singing" as a possible implication of "praising" in Luke 2:13.)

-- Scripture does not explicitly identify satan as an angel. That idea is inferred from a variety of OT and NT passages. And some of those passages are in books whose literary styles make literal interpretations problematic.

-- The Protestant Scriptures cite only one archangel by name: Michael. Gabriel is the only other angel identified by name, and he is not referred to as an "arch" angel.

-- Angels are not always scary. Sometimes they go about incognito. (Heb. 13)
    Why would spirits be sexually distinct ? Atoms aren’t.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      -- Cherubs don't look like little Cupids. (Assuming cherubs are a variety of angel.)
      the Biblical descriptions of what the Cherubim and Seraphim look like would make me very scared to see a real one....
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
        Why would spirits be sexually distinct ? Atoms aren’t.
        I guess my point was that in Scripture, they always appear as males, even though in the popular culture of my youth (but much less so today) they were usually pictured as beautiful women.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

A few things I haven't seen mentioned yet,

The word "angel" should probably be thought of more as a job description than a proper name.

The label "elohim" in the Old Testament is a generic term for spiritual entities which include angels.

1 Corinthians 6:3 states that believers will one day judge angels through our shared authority with/in Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post

The word "angel" should probably be thought of more as a job description than a proper name.

The label "elohim" in the Old Testament is a generic term for spiritual entities which include angels.

1 Corinthians 6:3 states that believers will one day judge angels through our shared authority with/in Christ.
            I have not yet read mossy's treatment - gonna read that this afternoon - some of that may be included there, but, yes....

Has anybody mentioned the letters to the Churches in Revelation, addressed to the "angel" (messenger) of the Churches?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
              I don't think Satan is an angel. He appears to be a creature created when the other beasts were. It just he was more crafty that the beasts of the field ... and probably quite a bit different. The big difference is that Satan doesn't seem to be anything of a typical breathing-eating type creature. He doesn't seem to have a "lifespan" typical of biological creatures.

It does seem that he is a 'person' of a sort ... having a mind and creativity. He might be thought of as being supernatural (at least from our perspective) but he doesn't seem to have angelic qualities.

The purpose of this creature ... save this for another day.
              um what???

The bible says he is a cherub (Ezekiel 28:12-19) - not some beast created on Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                um what???

The bible says he is a cherub (Ezekiel 28:12-19) - not some beast created on Earth.
                It's really popular lately for Old Testament scholars and lay people to disregard Ezekiel 28 as a reference to Satan. I mean, on the face of it, it's obviously referring to a person (the king of Tyre), but the language is harking back to some incident and individual predating the king of Tyre. Some suggest that the person in question is Adam in Eden, but I think Dr. Michael Heiser does a good job dismantling that argument, and makes the case that this reference and the one in Isaiah 14 is in reference to spiritual rebellion and Satan. Here's his podcast to it (includes transcript):

https://nakedbiblepodcast.com/podcas...43-ezekiel-28/

As far as Satan being a beast, I wonder if he has in mind the concept of Leviathan, and chaos monster imagery, which is clearly borrowed from surrounding Mesopotamian mythology.

Comment

Since the Bible provides us with the names for a couple of the angels like Gabriel (ex. Luke 1:19) and Michael (ex. Jude 9)[1] this oughta be a given.

1. And if you consider Tobit to be a part of Scripture like the RCC and Orthodox churches do, then we can add Raphael (Tobit 12:15)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Since the Bible provides us with the names for a couple of the angels like Gabriel (ex. Luke 1:19) and Michael (ex. Jude 9)[1] this oughta be a given.
                    Oughta be. Unfortunately plenty of lay people seem not so clued in.

Comment

Oughta be. Unfortunately plenty of lay people seem not so clued in.
                      It's not like you have to deduce it

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's not like you have to deduce it
                        But I think we're having to offset all the misinformation that Hollywood puts out -- all their dumb angel movies and TV shows, and even my all time favorite It's a Wonderful Life, which has some pretty dumb angel theology. "Angel Second Class", indeed!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          But I think we're having to offset all the misinformation that Hollywood puts out -- all their dumb angel movies and TV shows, and even my all time favorite It's a Wonderful Life, which has some pretty dumb angel theology. "Angel Second Class", indeed!
                          And now the trend to portray angels as power mad homicidal maniacs (Legion, Constantine, Supernatural ...)

Comment

And now the trend to portray angels as power mad homicidal maniacs (Legion, Constantine, Supernatural ...)
                            TV would have you think Satan is funny and maybe a little mischievous, but ultimately not that bad of a guy, and that angelic beings are monsters who are either in the midst of their own rebellion (that would make Satan's look like child's play), or are essentially spiritual Storm Troopers working for a Hitler God. The movie Prophecy (and its subsequent sequels) is where I first encountered the "angels are actually evil" meme in film, but I'm sure it goes back before that.

Comment

TV would have you think Satan is funny and maybe a little mischievous, but ultimately not that bad of a guy, and that angelic beings are monsters who are either in the midst of their own rebellion (that would make Satan's look like child's play), or are essentially spiritual Storm Troopers working for a Hitler God. The movie Prophecy (and its subsequent sequels) is where I first encountered the "angels are actually evil" meme in film, but I'm sure it goes back before that.
                              Yeah, the flipside to the angels are evil is that demons are misunderstood and not so bad. Says an awful lot about Hollyweird and those in control of it.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                                I'm attaching it instead of copying and pasting the whole thing. It's long, don't say I didn't warn you!

Use what you'd like if you think it's valuable to your study.
                                Long?

It'll be a useful diversion from my current reading project, which is making my head hurt.

My Ryrie SB is also NASB.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment