Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

World’s deepest hole dubbed ‘well to HELL’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World’s deepest hole dubbed ‘well to HELL’

World’s deepest hole dubbed ‘well to HELL’

I remember back when they were drilling this, there were all kinds of prophecies of doom about splitting the earth open, etc...

EARTH'S deepest artificial hole stretches 40,000 feet below the surface – but it's only covered by a rusty metal lid.

Russia's Kola Superdeep Borehole was created by the Soviets in the name of science so they could learn more about what's really under our feet and dig to depths unknown.

The project to drill into the Earth's surface began near Murmansk in the 1970s, when Soviet scientists wanted to learn more about the Earth's crust.

Over two decades, they managed dig more than 7.5 miles down into the Earth.

However, in 1992 they had to stop drilling because the temperature was around 180 degrees Celsius, which was far hotter than the scientists predicted it would be.

Experts still need to figure out away to overcome this temperature issue if they want to keep drilling and not destroy all of their equipment in the process.

I left out the part where you can hear the screams of people in Hell.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I was listening to audio for that. The screaming sounded like the same few people repeating their screams.

Does this mean there are only a few people in hell?

Comment

00000000000000ars1bbb.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        I was listening to audio for that. The screaming sounded like the same few people repeating their screams.

Does this mean there are only a few people in hell?
        No, just that some are more vocal than others --- probably the lawyers advising you to call their toll-free number.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No bells?
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Back to science . . .

Kind of an old and moldy story of the Soviet failure to drill through crust to the mantle, which has been a long quest for more than 50 years. Recent efforts are more promising with better technology. The location is boring through a thin section of ocean crust in the southwestern Indian Ocean.

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...09SwbgZRPyY.99
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              No bells?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                Back to science . . .
                Appreciated

Kind of an old and moldy story of the Soviet failure to drill through crust to the mantle, which has been a long quest for more than 50 years. Recent efforts are more promising with better technology. The location is boring through a thin section of ocean crust in the southwestern Indian Ocean.

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...09SwbgZRPyY.99
                Thanks

Comment

If it's what I'm thinking of, the audio was taken from some horror movie or something.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    If it's what I'm thinking of, the audio was taken from some horror movie or something.
                    Yeah, I kinda remember something like that.

ETA - the soundtrack of the 1972 movie Baron Blood.
                    Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-25-2019, 08:23 PM.

Comment

The US considered a deep borehole for a while. The goal was to reach the boundary between the crust and the mantle, called the Mohorovičić discontinuity, or Moho for short. So naturally, the project got nicknamed the Mohole.

(No, i am not making this up.)
                      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                        The US considered a deep borehole for a while. The goal was to reach the boundary between the crust and the mantle, called the Mohorovičić discontinuity, or Moho for short. So naturally, the project got nicknamed the Mohole.

If they pushed the drill in deep enough would it cause a mountain to pop out of the other side of the planet? That way they can make a mountain out of a Mohole.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          No, just that some are more vocal than others --- probably the lawyers advising you to call their toll-free number.
                          "Hellooooooo, I am calling about your car's extended warrantyyyyyyyy!"

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post

And they say science can't be fun!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              And they say science can't be fun!!!
                              And who exactly is this "they"?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment