Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

World’s deepest hole dubbed ‘well to HELL’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    And who exactly is this "they"?
    Them!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
      The US considered a deep borehole for a while. The goal was to reach the boundary between the crust and the mantle, called the Mohorovičić discontinuity, or Moho for short. So naturally, the project got nicknamed the Mohole.

(No, i am not making this up.)
      Do they want to create a volcano? Because that is how you create a volcano!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]39332[/ATTACH]
        Are those Democrats? Sorry, not sorry...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          World’s deepest hole dubbed ‘well to HELL’

I remember back when they were drilling this, there were all kinds of prophecies of doom about splitting the earth open, etc...

EARTH'S deepest artificial hole stretches 40,000 feet below the surface – but it's only covered by a rusty metal lid.

Russia's Kola Superdeep Borehole was created by the Soviets in the name of science so they could learn more about what's really under our feet and dig to depths unknown.

The project to drill into the Earth's surface began near Murmansk in the 1970s, when Soviet scientists wanted to learn more about the Earth's crust.

Over two decades, they managed dig more than 7.5 miles down into the Earth.

However, in 1992 they had to stop drilling because the temperature was around 180 degrees Celsius, which was far hotter than the scientists predicted it would be.

Experts still need to figure out away to overcome this temperature issue if they want to keep drilling and not destroy all of their equipment in the process.

I left out the part where you can hear the screams of people in Hell.
          Doctor Who during the Jon Pertwee era had a great serial titled "Inferno" that was loosely based around this premise:

Synopsis: UNIT is providing security cover at an experimental drilling project designed to penetrate the Earth's crust and release a previously untapped source of energy. Soon, however, the drill head starts to leak an oily green liquid that transforms those who touch it into vicious primeval creatures with a craving for heat.

The Doctor is accidentally transported by the partially repaired TARDIS control console into a parallel universe where the drilling project is at a more advanced stage. Thwarted by his friends' ruthless alter egos, he works to save both universes.
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 08-26-2019, 12:56 PM.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Way back in the 60's there was a dreadful sci-fi disaster movie called Crack In The World. The premise was scientists tried to drill all the way to the Earth's core to tap the geothermal energy there. Of course the experiment backfired and a large crack appeared in the Earth's mantle, a crack which then widened and propagated until it circled the whole globe. (spoiler) The climax is when the crack came all the way around and created a continuous breech in the mantle. Then a giant blob of glowing magma was ejected and created a new moon.

Needless to say the movie wasn't nominated for any Hollywood awards.

Hey, I saw it as a kid eating a 10 cent bag of popcorn at the Saturday matinee so it seems great at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
              Way back in the 60's there was a dreadful sci-fi disaster movie called Crack In The World. The premise was scientists tried to drill all the way to the Earth's core to tap the geothermal energy there. Of course the experiment backfired and a large crack appeared in the Earth's mantle, a crack which then widened and propagated until it circled the whole globe. (spoiler) The climax is when the crack came all the way around and created a continuous breech in the mantle. Then a giant blob of glowing magma was ejected and created a new moon.

Hey, I saw it as a kid eating a 10 cent bag of popcorn at the Saturday matinee so it seems great at the time.
              Saturday Matinees were the best! Popcorn, soda, comfy chair, AC and a movie that was so insane that you couldn't help but have fun!

And you got to see the movies from ten years earlier Sunday afternoon at home! (Okay, at least in the Seventies, we did!)
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Do they want to create a volcano? Because that is how you create a volcano!
                Mohole crapped out. Japan is reviving the general idea. Hooray.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Saturday Matinees were the best! Popcorn, soda, comfy chair, AC and a movie that was so insane that you couldn't help but have fun!
                  Toho Studios action and Hammer Studios gore!

I still love the hokey old Gojira flix. Not so big on the gory stuff now.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post

I vaguely recall seeing that.

And "When Worlds Collide." Not as on-topic as yours, and not as good as the novel, but fun.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

And you got to see the movies from ten years earlier Sunday afternoon at home! (Okay, at least in the Seventies, we did!)
                      We used to go to a matinee movie on Saturdays when we were kids (brother and I) - There was a theater that would let kids in for some hamburger wrappers and bottle caps from some local restaurants. We used to sit in the balcony. That's where I saw movies like Planet of the Apes and 100 Million BC.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                        Mohole crapped out. Japan is reviving the general idea. Hooray.
                        Doesn't Japan already have enough earthquakes and volcanoes without creating more, and possibly releasing Godzilla or some Lava Kaiju?

Comment