Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Amazon Not Burning Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon Not Burning Down

Source: New York Times

What Satellite Imagery Tells Us
    About the Amazon Rain Forest Fires

Scientists studying satellite image data from the fires in the Amazon rain forest said that most of the fires are burning on agricultural land where the forest had already been cleared.
    Source

© Copyright Original Source

Yay, the rain forest isn't on fire!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Another great story ruined by truth!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Some interesting information here.

(Some of the climate alarmists may discount this source as nutty - I really don't know)

You can't actually "see" the fires or the damage they do, looking at the globe from space.

So why does it look like the whole Earth is on fire in the maps above? That's a great question, and it leads to exaggeration of the true size of what's burning. As I understand it, this data is actually composed of "warm pixels." This means the satellite has detected what it thinks could be a wildfire based on its temperature, and I assume, other algorithms. NASA warns on their website:

"Don't be fooled by sizes of some of the bright splotches on these maps. The colors represent a count of the number of fires observed within a 1,000-square-kilometer area."

This means you're not looking at actual fires, you're looking at pixels which represent the number of satellite-detected fires within 1,000 square-kilometers of a location, and that data can be represented with smaller pixels, but if you zoom out to show the whole Earth, as above, you wouldn't be able to see them. It's analogous to looking at a map of NWS Storm Spotters, where each car is the size of Rhode Island. When you zoom way out, it will look like cities are clogged with cars, but the reality is that a car is a lot smaller than Rhode Island, and when you get down to that level, they are very far apart.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When I was a kid we called it the Amazon Jungle. It sounded less exotic and romantic.
        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
          When I was a kid we called it the Amazon Jungle. It sounded less exotic and romantic.
          EGGzackly -- when they started calling it "the rain forest", it had the effect of making me think "ok, they're trying to make this sound even more important than it is". In Galveston, Texas, there is actually a "Rain Forest" theme park you can go to to "explore the rain forest", and they even have a "rain forest cafe". (Part of the indoctrination)

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            EGGzackly -- when they started calling it "the rain forest", it had the effect of making me think "ok, they're trying to make this sound even more important than it is". In Galveston, Texas, there is actually a "Rain Forest" theme park you can go to to "explore the rain forest", and they even have a "rain forest cafe". (Part of the indoctrination)
            Who knew! Apparently, the Rainforest Cafe is a capitalist outfit with locations all over the place!!!

usmap.jpg

Comment

Also the fires are only more numerous in Brazil but are actually lower in other areas of the Amazon. But the news won't tell you that, except maybe as a footnote.

As of August 16, 2019, an analysis of NASA satellite data indicated that total fire activity across the Amazon basin this year has been close to the average in comparison to the past 15 years. (The Amazon spreads across Brazil, Peru, Colombia, and parts of other countries.) Though activity appears to be above average in the states of Amazonas and Rondônia, it has so far appeared below average in Mato Grosso and Pará, according to estimates from the Global Fire Emissions Database, a research project that compiles and analyzes NASA data.
              https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im...ires-in-brazil

Comment

and:

the fires were at average levels through to mid August, and then there was a huge uptick.

Why was that? Seems that it started when the farmers in the state of Para declared a "'dia do fogo,'" or "day of fire" on August 10th. They said they did this in order to show to Bolsonaro that they want to work and that the only way to clear pastures for them to work was with fire (report in Portuguese here), This was spectacularly "successful" and there was an immediate increase in fires which continued through the following weeks.

As Aljazeerah reports it:
                According to the Brazilian newspaper Folha do Progresso, the fires started on August 10 when an association of farmers in the state of Para announced a so-called "day of fire". The idea, according to the publication, was to coordinate a number of simultaneous fires to show Bolsonaro "they are ready to work". On that day, 124 new fires were registered by INPE and the next day 203 more were flagged.

The Public Prosecutor in the State of Para has opened an investigation into the incident

Brazil's Amazon is burning: 'Some families lost everything'
                https://www.science20.com/robert_wal...d_rates-240959

Comment

Who knew! Apparently, the Rainforest Cafe is a capitalist outfit with locations all over the place!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39338[/ATTACH]
                  apparently, you haven't been doing your duty to save the Rainforest Cafe

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Source: New York Times

What Satellite Imagery Tells Us
                    About the Amazon Rain Forest Fires

Scientists studying satellite image data from the fires in the Amazon rain forest said that most of the fires are burning on agricultural land where the forest had already been cleared.
                    Source

Yay, the rain forest isn't on fire!

Sorry. Had to ask...

So I can still order some books?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                      Sorry. Had to ask...

So I can still order some books?
                      Ironically there appears to be some folks demanding that Bezos do something to save Amazon.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                        apparently, you haven't been doing your duty to save the Rainforest Cafe
                        I took my grandkids to the one in Galveston once -- for the prices they charge, I probably saved a vast swath of rainforest!

Comment

Rain Forest is simply the more precise term for the sort of ecosystem that exists there. It is a rain-forest.

Source: wikipedia

Rainforests are forests characterized by high rainfall, with annual rainfall in the case of tropical rainforests between 250 and 450 centimetres (98 and 177 in),[1] and definitions varying by region for temperate rainforests. The monsoon trough, alternatively known as the intertropical convergence zone, plays a significant role in creating the climatic conditions necessary for the Earth's tropical rainforests.

Around 40% to 75% of all biotic species are indigenous to the rainforests.[2] There may be many millions of species of plants, insects and microorganisms still undiscovered in tropical rainforests. Tropical rainforests have been called the "jewels of the Earth" and the "world's largest pharmacy", because over one quarter of natural medicines have been discovered there.[3] Rainforests are also responsible for 28% of the world's oxygen turnover, sometimes misnamed oxygen production,[4] processing it through photosynthesis from carbon dioxide and consuming it through respiration.

And it is a huge one.

Jim
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            Rain Forest is simply the more precise term for the sort of ecosystem that exists there. It is a rain-forest.

Source: wikipedia

Rainforests are forests characterized by high rainfall, with annual rainfall in the case of tropical rainforests between 250 and 450 centimetres (98 and 177 in),[1] and definitions varying by region for temperate rainforests. The monsoon trough, alternatively known as the intertropical convergence zone, plays a significant role in creating the climatic conditions necessary for the Earth's tropical rainforests.

Around 40% to 75% of all biotic species are indigenous to the rainforests.[2] There may be many millions of species of plants, insects and microorganisms still undiscovered in tropical rainforests. Tropical rainforests have been called the "jewels of the Earth" and the "world's largest pharmacy", because over one quarter of natural medicines have been discovered there.[3] Rainforests are also responsible for 28% of the world's oxygen turnover, sometimes misnamed oxygen production,[4] processing it through photosynthesis from carbon dioxide and consuming it through respiration.

And it is a yuuge one.

Jim
                            FIFY n/c

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                              I think rainforest sounds less exotic and romantic.
                              "Jungle" sounds like somewhere to find high adventure. "Rainforest" sounds like somewhere you might stroll in the afternoon.

Comment