Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘Global Temperature’ — Why Should We Trust A Statistic That Might Not Even Exist?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    And thus fullfilling your quota for the month.
    Actually, I had one last week, too, but next week starts a whole 'nuther month!
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And I consider myself to be pretty much on the fence about this. I tend to be somewhat skeptical of what both sides claim.
    Same here. That gets us the "climate denier" label, however.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Actually, I had one last week, too, but next week starts a whole 'nuther month!
    Did it hurt?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Did it hurt?
    Laughing.... when I have a GOOD idea (come on, it happens) I always say "It HURTS to be this smart".
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    $cirisme and Dee Dee both said I was right once.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Laughing.... when I have a GOOD idea (come on, it happens) I always say "It HURTS to be this smart".
    So... only once a decade or so?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So... only once a decade or so?
    Then you have a lot of catching up to do!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Except it's not the same measurement. There are far fewer temperature stations now than in years past, many of those stations are no longer optimally placed due to urban expansion, huge swaths of the earth have no temperature stations (notably many of the earth's coldest regions), and the data, including the historic record, has been "adjusted" so many times that it is now thoroughly corrupted and untrustworthy.
    It is the same measurement MM in all the ways that matter. No it is not a measurement made from exactly the same set of stations for the last 100 years, but to think that invalidates the results is ignorance. We have better ways of assessing the global temperature today than we did. Better stations, better compensating algorithms, more comprehensive data sets and sources - e.g. satellite data. Care is taken to make the global average the most accurate measurement possible year over year, including compensations for know biases in older data, which produces things that are hard to understand for some like Time Of Measurement Bias adjustments and the like. Oversimplified statements like the above simply don't reflect reality in any meaningful way.

Jim
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

9. Amen Roy amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Same here. That gets us the "climate denier" label, however.
    No it doesn't, not from me anyway. But if you post nutcases pseudo-science, I will point out what what you posted is nutcase pseudo-science.

Jim
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    It is the same measurement MM in all the ways that matter. No it is not a measurement made from exactly the same set of stations for the last 100 years, but to think that invalidates the results is ignorance.
    What invalidates the results is the amount of "massaging" that has to be done to paper over the numerous coverage gaps, and how the historic record has been irreparably corrupted by arbitrary "adjustments" designed to fit the hypothesis rather than adjusting the hypothesis to fit the data.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra