Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

‘Global Temperature’ — Why Should We Trust A Statistic That Might Not Even Exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    It's actually not true - you only need a skew - which is pretty easy to get when you average.

The question is 'does 'average global temperature' actually mean anything in the real world? Averages are seductive because they are so easy to do - but they are easily skewed and frequently run into external validity problems.
    Planet Earth is a system in near equilibrium, irradiated by the Sun. if you think that the average temperature fluctuates, where does the heat go? Bear in mind that tiny differences in global average temperatures represent vast amounts of heat simply because the masses are equally enormous.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      Planet Earth is a system in near equilibrium, irradiated by the Sun. if you think that the average temperature fluctuates, where does the heat go? Bear in mind that tiny differences in global average temperatures represent vast amounts of heat simply because the masses are equally enormous.
      You aren't making sense. Assuming external validity - which was what I questioned - the IPCC seems pretty convinced that there are indeed fluctuations. Assuming no external validity, what does this have to do with the price of tea in China?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

What about specific heat?
        If you have, say, lead and helium in a chamber, with a constant amount of heat in the chamber, you could have a widely varying measure of average temperature by varying the distribution of heat.

E.g. if you start off with warm helium and cold lead (same mass of each) the average temperature of the two will rise as heat flows from the helium to the lead--because the rise in lead temperature will be much greater than the fall in helium temperature. While the chamber's average temperature is rising, it could also at the same time be losing heat to its surroundings. How meaningful would it be to say "the chamber's" temperature is rising while it is losing heat?

Also the average temperature is not of the whole planet, but part of it (e.g. ground-level measures of air temperature?). With different distributions of heat, the lower-atmosphere temperature could vary, with the Planet Earth having the same amount of heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          The average temperature on the moon is around 10F
          Yes, which tells you, coupled with its distance from the sun, that it has little to no atmosphere. And if that average were measured to change over time it woukd tell you that something is changing, given littke to no atmosphere, either total solar insolation, or its albedo.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
            What about specific heat?
            If you have, say, lead and helium in a chamber, with a constant amount of heat in the chamber, you could have a widely varying measure of average temperature by varying the distribution of heat.

E.g. if you start off with warm helium and cold lead (same mass of each) the average temperature of the two will rise as heat flows from the helium to the lead--because the rise in lead temperature will be much greater than the fall in helium temperature. While the chamber's average temperature is rising, it could also at the same time be losing heat to its surroundings. How meaningful would it be to say "the chamber's" temperature is rising while it is losing heat?

Also the average temperature is not of the whole planet, but part of it (e.g. ground-level measures of air temperature?). With different distributions of heat, the lower-atmosphere temperature could vary, with the Planet Earth having the same amount of heat.
            This is very close to arguing with John Martin about why the earth rotates on its axis and orbits the Sun.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

00000000000000aab.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                You aren't making sense. Assuming external validity - which was what I questioned - the IPCC seems pretty convinced that there are indeed fluctuations. Assuming no external validity, what does this have to do with the price of tea in China?
                There is an overall energy balance and the system will adjust its equilibrium ‘temperature’ as circumstances demand. So, the atmosphere is like an insulating blanket and the surface of the earth has to be hotter than it would otherwise be, without an atmosphere, so that this energy balance in maintained. Now, if you change the insulating properties of the atmosphere, make it more insulating by the addition of ‘greenhouse’ gases, the surface temperature has to increase to reach the new equilibrium.

Predicting surface temperatures is difficult because of the complexity of the earth’s surface and the dynamics of the atmosphere and the oceans. Measurements are subject to all sorts of potential errors and difficulties but they are good enough to bear witness to the predicted trends. To make sense of the details you need to grasp the fundamentals, and that is understanding how the atmosphere works as insulation. That part is not controversial and it tells you unambiguously that the biosphere must be warming.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

That’s pretty dumb FF considering that earth has had extremes hot periods where there was little to no glaciers and extreme cold periods were it is possible the entire planet was covered in ice. You should know how the oceans carry heat across the planet via ocean currents and how the jet streams do it via the atmosphere and some predictions do say global warming could be responsible for ice ages since some theories suggest global warming can change up the ocean currents and jet streams leading to wider temp extremes between the tropics and the poles.
                  Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 08-27-2019, 06:53 AM.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]39378[/ATTACH]
                    Rogue, you are smarter than this.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      Rogue, you are smarter than this.

Jim
                      Did you check your sense of humor at the door?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

One of the surest diagnostic criteria for TDS is the destruction of the humor center of the brain.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Right... that must be why a significant number of scientists and statisticians reject the global warming hypothesis, and the "consensus" is a load of crap.
                          An 'insignificant percentage of scientists' is the correct assessment. If there are 1,000,000 scientists competent and informed about the data, and there are 1000 that disagree for various reasons, then you are still talking about 0.1%

You can find .1% of any population that holds a contrarian opinion. It's just human nature MM

The test is can this tiny percentage make a valid scientific case for their contrarian views that can persuade some significant subset of the other 99.9% on its scientific soundness and robustness. And the answer is no.

Jim
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-27-2019, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                            Measurements are subject to all sorts of potential errors and difficulties but they are good enough to bear witness to the predicted trends.
                            Especially when they are arbitrarily "adjusted" to align with the preferred hypothesis!
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It isnt funny when you support and encourage ignorance. You are supporting MM's and others on this website ignorant buy in to the idea the temperature data and the incontrovertible warming signal it contains is invalid. Is that your intent - to encourage people in their ignorance?

Jim
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-27-2019, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Especially when they are arbitrarily "adjusted" to align with the preferred hypothesis!
                                That isn't what is happening MM.

First, a significant warming signal exists in the raw data - unadjusted.

Second, the same signal exists in the adjusted USHCN as exists in the unadjusted USCRN.

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/ful...H-D-14-00172.1

from the above:

USHCN vs USCRN.jpeg

MM - grow up and learn about what the actual data is before you say stupid things that mislead others.

Jim
                                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-27-2019, 07:39 AM.

Comment