Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NASA Astronaut Accused of Identity Theft in First Criminal Allegation from Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I've seen some more of this little spat, I'm kinda disgusted that the "estranged wife" chose to make this "the story" about her "estranged wife" in space.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hate to be cynical...but it might be a lawyer thing....stir things up to increase fees. I do hate it when kids are involved.
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
        I remember when I filed for divorce, there was a clause stating we were not responsible for each other's expenses while the divorce was pending. I DON'T remember if we were prohibited access to each other's accounts or anything like that. Might be a state thing.
        Here we have McClain, a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army, in a bitter custody battle with Worden, a former Air Force intelligence officer. (Kinda gives me the warm fuzzies about the quality of officers in the Army)

Apparently, McClain, from space, was accessing Worden's bank records with a username and password she had had all along. Not "hacking", but, at most, 'unauthorized access' - though it doesn't appear clear when this access was de-authorized. As somebody already pointed out, Worden could have easily changed her password -- she was a freakin INTELLIGENCE officer, for crying out loud.

McClain told investigators earlier this month that she was viewing the account from space for the same reason she always had — to make sure Worden had enough money to pay her bills and take care of her son. She added that she had used the same password as she had used previously and that she had never received any indication from Wordon that she shouldn't still be able to access the account.

Worden and McClain married in 2014, but Worden filed for divorce in 2018 after McClain accused her of assault. Worden denies that accusation, according to the Times's investigation, claiming it was also part of McClain's efforts to gain custody of her child.

source

So far, I've not seen a "crime" here - let alone multiple crimes like some stories report - just a complaint to NASA's office of inspector general.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ah, the thot has plickened!!!

This just in from ABC13, Houston....

In McClain's supporting declaration, she writes, "I am petitioning the court for legal parental rights due to Summer's recent threats to take Briggs out of his current home and school, with no reasonable financial plan and no familiar or stable environment for our son."

The current family code in Texas state law acknowledges custodial rights as it pertains to a non-biological parent, but it specifies 'man' and 'father.'

So this could actually be about changing the law to make it more same-sex relative...

Schellist points to strides in the LBGT community in terms of laws for same-sex marriage, and the ability to have shared names on birth certificates. However, there is no specific clause when it comes to divorce and custody. Schellist says that is what could make this case a groundbreaking case in Texas.

"You have someone who is a celebrity, who has a voice that will be heard for the same-sex couple population out there, and she's going to be screaming loud and clearly that we deserve the same rights as heterosexual couples."

The next custody case hearing will be in downtown Houston on Sept. 17.

I knew there had to be more to this than an cosmic spat! As DB suggested, this could be a "lawyer thing", but for same-sex purposes.

Comment

and
            https://www.foxnews.com/us/nasa-astr...mes-frightened

excerpts:

Summer Worden, a former Air Force intelligence officer from Kansas, claims McClain stole her identity and accessed her bank account without permission – while she was orbiting the Earth during a six-month mission aboard the International Space Station – as part of her attempt to gain custody over Worden's 6-year-old son, Briggs, who Worden gave birth to about a year before meeting McClain.
            When Worden and McClain wed in 2014, Worden refused McClain's request to adopt the child. The Worden family told KTRK that McClain demanded she be allowed to legally adopt the 6-year-old child — despite Worden telling her no.

She took Worden to court in 2018 to get shared parenting rights after accusing Worden of having a temper and making poor financial decisions — but Worden filed for divorce after now-deleted pictures of her son and McClain were posted to her Twitter.
            Not long after, McClain left for space.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              and
              https://www.foxnews.com/us/nasa-astr...mes-frightened

excerpts:

Summer Worden, a former Air Force intelligence officer from Kansas, claims McClain stole her identity and accessed her bank account without permission – while she was orbiting the Earth during a six-month mission aboard the International Space Station – as part of her attempt to gain custody over Worden's 6-year-old son, Briggs, who Worden gave birth to about a year before meeting McClain.
              When Worden and McClain wed in 2014, Worden refused McClain's request to adopt the child. The Worden family told KTRK that McClain demanded she be allowed to legally adopt the 6-year-old child — despite Worden telling her no.

She took Worden to court in 2018 to get shared parenting rights after accusing Worden of having a temper and making poor financial decisions — but Worden filed for divorce after now-deleted pictures of her son and McClain were posted to her Twitter.
              Not long after, McClain left for space.
              Yeah, and there are some REALLY cute pictures of McClain and the boy - in fact, McClain's official NASA Portrait was with the boy - and Worden NASA take the offical portrait down.

Worden sounds like she thinks she's the Warden. The interviews I've seen with her -- she just looks and acts like a vengeful person.

Comment

I've not seen a convincing argument that the allegation is criminal in nature. First, if you give someone your username and password you have given consent for them to access your account. Furthermore, it's also possible that the accused was an authorized user on that account -- this is fairly common for married couples. I haven't seen statements of fact either way.
                Secondly, if you're not divorced yet that means you're still married. I realize it's different in some states, but where I'm at, marital property is a real thing. If your spouse steals property from you while you're still married, the chances of a successful criminal prosecution are near zero for this reason. The case law gets complicated pretty quickly and the prosecutors are NOT interested in messing with it. I've had to explain to some guy that I wouldn't even take a report about how his wife (from whom he had recently separated and who was an authorized user on his checking account) had removed tens of thousands of dollars from their account. Some people don't like hearing the term "civil matter".
                "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                  I've not seen a convincing argument that the allegation is criminal in nature.
                  Nope - nor even a crime specified.

First, if you give someone your username and password you have given consent for them to access your account. Furthermore, it's also possible that the accused was an authorized user on that account -- this is fairly common for married couples. I haven't seen statements of fact either way.
                  Yeah, it's not unusual, though, for an account to be in one user's name, and the 'spouse' given access just through username/password access.

Secondly, if you're not divorced yet that means you're still married. I realize it's different in some states, but where I'm at, marital property is a real thing. If your spouse steals property from you while you're still married, the chances of a successful criminal prosecution are near zero for this reason. The case law gets complicated pretty quickly and the prosecutors are NOT interested in messing with it. I've had to explain to some guy that I wouldn't even take a report about how his wife (from whom he had recently separated and who was an authorized user on his checking account) had removed tens of thousands of dollars from their account. Some people don't like hearing the term "civil matter".
                  And I think that's the point... this is an attempt to bring to light the difficulties in same-sex divorce.

But, again, what "crime" was actually committed?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Yeah, and there are some REALLY cute pictures of McClain and the boy - in fact, McClain's official NASA Portrait was with the boy - and Worden NASA take the offical portrait down.

Worden sounds like she thinks she's the Warden. The interviews I've seen with her -- she just looks and acts like a vengeful person.
                    But Worden is the child's mom from before she even met McClain. So McClain trying to take custody of the child seems really out there.

The whole things sounds

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      But Worden is the child's mom from before she even met McClain. So McClain trying to take custody of the child seems really out there.

The whole things sounds
                      Women!

Comment