Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NASA Astronaut Accused of Identity Theft in First Criminal Allegation from Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA Astronaut Accused of Identity Theft in First Criminal Allegation from Space

NASA Astronaut Accused of Identity Theft in First Criminal Allegation from Space

And now for something truly weird...

The situation is out of this world.

Anne McClain, a NASA astronaut and lieutenant colonel in the Army, is facing accusations that she committed identity theft through the "improper access" of her estranged wife's "private financial records," The New York Times reported.

Former Air Force intelligence officer Summer Worden didn't understand how her estranged wife, McClain, still knew details of her spending.

Worden recently noticed, though, that a computer owned by NASA had accessed her bank account, using her own login information. McClain admitted to doing so in space, aboard the International Space Station.

There was no indication for Worden that any of the account's funds had been moved or used.

Yet, Worden accused McClain of identity theft and improper access to the private financial records via a complaint filed with the Federal Trade Commission and her family's complaint to NASA's Office of Inspector General. The family accused McClain of a "highly calculated and manipulative campaign" to win custody of Worden's son, who the couple was raising together.

Lawyer Rusty Hardin says McClain was doing what she always had in the relationship to ensure their finances were in order.

McClain, he said, was never told that she no longer had permission to access the account.

The astronaut, a lieutenant colonel in the Army, very nearly made history as part of NASA's first all-female spacewalk. She is on NASA's shortlist to be the first woman to land on the moon, according to Stars and Stripes this week.

The criminal allegation is likely the first to come from acts committed aboard the ISS, according to NASA's information, and likely in space at all. Mark Sundahl, the director of the Global Space Law Center at Cleveland State University, does not know of any prior extraterrestrial criminal allegations.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Well if they are still legally married, I don't think she has a case. And it doesn't sound like "identity theft" either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Well if they are still legally married, I don't think she has a case. And it doesn't sound like "identity theft" either.
      Not sure if they are "legally married" or "civil union" or what.... it says "estranged", but it does call the one woman the other woman's wife.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

More like snooping.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Not sure if they are "legally married" or "civil union" or what.... it says "estranged", but it does call the one woman the other woman's wife.
          usually estranged means separated but not divorced. So legally they would have the same access to each other's accounts as they had when they were NOT estranged. I am assuming that since the astronaut had her username and password, she was probably given access to the account by her wife previously and would still have legal access. Also, if the earth wife didn't want her to access the account, why not just change the password?

Comment

usually estranged means separated but not divorced. So legally they would have the same access to each other's accounts as they had when they were NOT estranged. I am assuming that since the astronaut had her username and password, she was probably given access to the account by her wife previously and would still have legal access. Also, if the earth wife didn't want her to access the account, why not just change the password?
            It's a tempest in a spacecraft!

Comment

Facts just get in the way of sensationalist reporting.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Space just makes everything sound better.

Divorce Court ....in Space!

Comment

I wonder if Divorce Court has handled a gay/lesbian divorce yet. I can see it now...

Judge: So just to be clear, Ms. Smith, you contend that your wife, after transitioning into a man, left you for another woman -- is that correct?

Ms. Smith: Yes your honor.

Judge: *SIGH* Bailiff, please bring me the whole bottle of Extra Extra Strength Advil and a bottle of Chardonnay to wash it down with

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    i wonder if divorce court has handled a gay/lesbian divorce yet. I can see it now...

judge: so just to be clear, ms. Smith, you contend that your wife, after transitioning into a man, left you for another woman -- is that correct?

ms. Smith: yes your honor.

judge: *sigh* bailiff, please bring me the whole bottle of extra extra strength advil and a bottle of chardonnay to wash it down with
                    ...in SPACE!!!

Comment

...in SPACE!!!
                      I see what you did there.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        I see what you did there.
                        " "

Comment

I disagree. I read Orson Scott Card's The Memory of Earth not knowing anything about it beforehand, and partway through I realised, "this is the Book of Mormon, IN SPACE." Totally spoiled the whole series for me and I quit reading it after the first book.
                          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                            I disagree. I read Orson Scott Card's The Memory of Earth not knowing anything about it beforehand, and partway through I realised, "this is the Book of Mormon, IN SPACE." Totally spoiled the whole series for me and I quit reading it after the first book.
                            I can only imagine putting it in SPACE made it slightly more interesting than the original BoM which I could barely read because my eyes kept rolling back into my head.

Comment

I remember when I filed for divorce, there was a clause stating we were not responsible for each other's expenses while the divorce was pending. I DON'T remember if we were prohibited access to each other's accounts or anything like that. Might be a state thing.
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment