Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fake News? Trump denies that he suggested nuking hurricanes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charles View Post
    Ad hominem.
    Non sequitur.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Here that's the law.
      It figures they would do that after your "Walking Dead" incident. I mean they probably have half a library of laws put in place because of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        It figures they would do that after your "Walking Dead" incident. I mean they probably have half a library of laws put in place because of you.

When I first heard about it while still a teen I thought it was just a money making scheme. The morticians had a very powerful lobby back then.

Then later, back in the mid 1990s, there was a massive flood in the southern part of the state nearly 500 coffins were forced out of what was supposed to have been their final resting places in two cemeteries by pressure from underground streams on land already over-saturated with water.

Suddenly heavier caskets sorta made sense.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

When I first heard about it while still a teen I thought it was just a money making scheme. The morticians had a very powerful lobby back then.

Then later, back in the mid 1990s, there was a massive flood in the southern part of the state nearly 500 coffins were forced out of what was supposed to have been their final resting places in two cemeteries by pressure from underground streams on land already over-saturated with water.

Suddenly heavier caskets sorta made sense.
          A likely story.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            To those suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome, anything Trump says is inherently ridiculous simply because Trump said
            Since playing the 'they have TDS' game is synonymous to 'calvin ball', pretty much anything you say about it is necessarily both true and false depending on the time of day and what particular mood you are in.

"Calvinball is a game invented by Calvin and Hobbes. Calvinball has no rules; the players make up their own rules as they go along, making it so that no Calvinball game is like another."

In this instance, it's all about finding creative ways to dehumanize those that disagree with you.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Non sequitur.
              You might want to refresh your memory on the meaning of both ad hominem and non sequitor. You clearly have forgotten what they mean.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                You might want to refresh your memory on the meaning of both ad hominem and non sequitor. You clearly have forgotten what they mean.

Jim
                Non sequitur means it does not logically follow. "out of sequence"

insulting someone is not an "ad hominem" if it isn't used to dismiss their argument. MM merely made a snide remark about people in general. He was not rejecting anyone's argument and was in fact just responding to a snide comment YOU made. So it was not ad hominem. Therefore Charles's comment was non sequitur.

Happy?

Comment

Since playing the 'they have TDS' game is synonymous to 'calvin ball', pretty much anything you say about it is necessarily both true and false depending on the time of day and what particular mood you are in.

"Calvinball is a game invented by Calvin and Hobbes. Calvinball has no rules; the players make up their own rules as they go along, making it so that no Calvinball game is like another."

In this instance, it's all about finding creative ways to dehumanize those that disagree with you.

Jim
                  Well, no. I appreciate your creative attempt to make the charge specious, however.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Some of my coworkers were laughing about this at lunch yesterday until I informed them that Trump never actually said it. They looked at me in stunned silence and said, "He didn't?" I said, "No, go track down the original story. There's zero substantiation. It's nothing but a 'sources say' rumor."

The ironic thing is that just a few minutes earlier, they were laughing about how only gullible people are fooled by fake news.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Some of my coworkers were laughing about this at lunch yesterday until I informed them that Trump never actually said it. They looked at me in stunned silence and said, "He didn't?" I said, "No, go track down the original story. There's zero substantiation. It's nothing but a 'sources say' rumor."

The ironic thing is that just a few minutes earlier, they were laughing about how only gullible people are fooled by fake news.
                      It's like the "man on the street" interviews where they ask for somebody's opinion about something nutty somebody said -- they'll slip it into a conversation about Trump, then when the people scoff and mock the stupidity of the statement, they'll reveal it was actually Obama or Pelosi who said it.

The resulting "dumb looks" are priceless.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Well, no. I appreciate your creative attempt to make the charge specious, however.
                        Well yes. TDS is nothing more than an attempt to dehumanize and trivialize the concerns of people that disagree with you about Trump. It's juvenile, and its degrading. And you all love doing it oh so much.

Jim

Comment

Well yes. TDS is nothing more than an attempt to dehumanize and trivialize the concerns of people that disagree with you about Trump. It's juvenile, and its degrading. And you all love doing it oh so much.

Jim
                          So, yeah, back to the "everybody's being mean to me" routine, during which you make juvenile, degrading false accusations.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            It's like the "man on the street" interviews where they ask for somebody's opinion about something nutty somebody said -- they'll slip it into a conversation about Trump, then when the people scoff and mock the stupidity of the statement, they'll reveal it was actually Obama or Pelosi who said it.

The resulting "dumb looks" are priceless.
                            It's easy to make people look stupid if you purposefully mislead them. Most people are not expecting to be set up to be mocked by the people that are talking to them. Sorry you think that is a funny thing to do.

Jim

Comment

It's easy to make people look stupid if you purposefully mislead them.
                              It's an attempt to show what a bias they have, Jim.

Most people are not expecting to be set up to be mocked by the people that are talking to them.
                              It only happens when they ignorantly glom on to something that supports their own bias - otherwise, it wouldn't work.

Sorry you think that is a funny thing to do.

Jim
                              It appears you're having a particularly bad day --- I'll stop responding to you again for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                So, yeah, back to the "everybody's being mean to me" routine, during which you make juvenile, degrading false accusations.

What is sad is you dragging this out, which is pure ad hominem.

It is a simple fact that the use of TDS is degrading and dehumanizing, and it is used here constantly as a means to dismiss legitimate comments made by people known to have a poor opinion of Trump. Why not ditch it and actually come up with a fact based, logically sound rebuttal for whatever was said that was dismissed as "TDS"?

Jim

Comment